AK: Research 2000: McCain beats Obama by 7, but Clinton by 18
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:46:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  AK: Research 2000: McCain beats Obama by 7, but Clinton by 18
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: AK: Research 2000: McCain beats Obama by 7, but Clinton by 18  (Read 4940 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:05:41 PM »

New Poll: Alaska President by Research 2000 on 2008-05-14

Summary: D: 37%, R: 55%, U: 8%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

McCain: 49%
Obama: 42%
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 01:12:50 PM »

Time to pour money into Alaska, this is three polls in a row that shows it is close.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »

Time to pour money into Alaska, this is three polls in a row that shows it is close.

Excellent strategy.  Those three electoral votes will surely be a bargain.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 01:18:52 PM »

Not everything is about electoral votes. Alaska is huge; if the Dems capture it then they have captured the biggest state in the nation.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2008, 01:37:01 PM by Joe Republic »

Not everything is about electoral votes. Alaska is huge; if the Dems capture it then they have captured the biggest state in the nation.

You need to be less subtle when you're joking.  I almost thought your rationale was in earnest.  Tongue
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »

I imagine air time in Alaska is relatively inexpensive. Might as well run ads there, Obama has the money.

Alaska also may be a state where Bob Barr/Mike Gravel ends up doing reasonably well.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »

You need to be less subtle when you're joking.  I almost thought your rationale was in earnest.  Tongue
Every state is important. Obama doing well in Alaska makes it easier to beat Stevens and Young, and if he does pull off the upset, then it's an extra three electoral votes.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »

I imagine air time in Alaska is relatively inexpensive. Might as well run ads there, Obama has the money.

Alaska also may be a state where Bob Barr/Mike Gravel ends up doing reasonably well.

My thoughts exactly. Yes, the only has three electoral votes---but this also means it won't be very expensive to run ads there. It certainly couldn't hurt. And I have also considered the Libertarian thing--Ed Clark got more than 10% here. It probably won't happen, but it would be pretty hilarious if the Libertarian candidate somehow drained enough votes from McCain and managed to give Obama a small victory here.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 07:04:02 PM »

Is there any chance that Libertarians could take away enough support from McCain to hand the election to Obama?  Since it's such a small state, could this happen?
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 07:06:27 PM »

Is there any chance that Libertarians could take away enough support from McCain to hand the election to Obama?  Since it's such a small state, could this happen?

My argument for Obama winning small states has been difficult for people to grasp. This is how he wins in these small states. He just needs to close the gap by a only a few ten thousand votes. In places like Ohio, he has to convince many more people to change their votes. Also, there are a lot of new voters in Alaska I believe and I think he can make it close.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 07:12:36 PM »

My argument for Obama winning small states has been difficult for people to grasp. This is how he wins in these small states. He just needs to close the gap by a only a few ten thousand votes. In places like Ohio, he has to convince many more people to change their votes. Also, there are a lot of new voters in Alaska I believe and I think he can make it close.

Alaska is a state that very easily could flip because you just do not know who is moving to the state. Add to that the scandal with their congressional delegation combined with general anger against republicans and you could have an Obama win. I do not think he should visit the state though. It is just too expensive and not worth it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »

To those that argue that Obama shouldn't visit Alaska, I'd argue that he wouldn't really be losing anything, due to diminishing returns. Sure, he could spend a day in Ohio, but there's not a huge difference between 100 townhalls in Ohio and 101. However, a single visit to Alaska would be quite a big deal and could win him a lot of votes.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 07:24:51 PM »

Go for it. He certainly won't be strapped for cash.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 07:30:16 PM »

I like how three close polls in Alaska spell victory to Democrats, yet many close polls in Massachusetts spell continuous outliers. Roll Eyes

There's a difference between Alaska and Massachusetts.  Besides, I'm sceptical of this poll also.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 07:49:49 PM »

I like how three close polls in Alaska spell victory to Democrats, yet many close polls in Massachusetts spell continuous outliers. Roll Eyes

12 points is close?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »

Alaska is a small state which is growing fast. The same thing cannot be said about Massachusetts. I doubt Obama carries Alaska but if Obama has the extra cash it might be worth a try.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 08:53:23 PM »

There is no such thing as a safe Republican state with the Messiah Obama on the ticket. Remember, even Kansas has a chance to fall at his feet!
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 08:57:01 PM »

12 points is close?

Again, Roll Eyes

Remove head from anus, then post.

There's not so much growth that all of a sudden Alaska is going to swing 20+ points for an Obama victory.  Sure Alaska may have a chance to be close, but if you are using polls to come to that conclusion, you have to acknowledge the significance of the Massachusetts polls.  You can't use some polls and dismiss others.

It was the latest poll out of Massachusetts. I believe you have had a distorted perception of the past or a lapse in memory because many Democrats didn't dispute the results of the polls, but the fact on whether or not it would hold up.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 10:55:19 PM »

12 points is close?

Again, Roll Eyes

Remove head from anus, then post.

There's not so much growth that all of a sudden Alaska is going to swing 20+ points for an Obama victory.  Sure Alaska may have a chance to be close, but if you are using polls to come to that conclusion, you have to acknowledge the significance of the Massachusetts polls.  You can't use some polls and dismiss others.

Independents in Alaska could swing hard for Obama thus giving him a victory. OR they might not. To get massachusetts to swing you have to get a lot of people who voted for Kerry to vote for Mccain. Likely not going to happen. But Alaska has a lot of young people who have possibly not participated in the process. Combine that with people pissed off at their congressional delegation and you could have a switch. Not likely though.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »

Haha, what?

Do you guys even read the posts in this thread?

Fezzy and Duke = retarded trolls
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 11:06:08 PM »

Haha, what?

What does that make you? A mindless follower of the masses on this forum? Forgive us for disagreeing with the great Obama and his supporters!

Did you read the thread? You didn't see anyone suggesting he could win Alaska?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 11:11:37 PM »

Haha, what?

What does that make you? A mindless follower of the masses on this forum? Forgive us for disagreeing with the great Obama and his supporters!

Yes, I can actually read. I saw people suggesting that it would not hurt if Obama campaigned and/or advertised in Alaska. I saw no one say they actually thought Obama would seriously win it.

But hey, don't mind me, f**kwad. Go on being the dumbest and most worthless douche bag on the forum. It's the only thing you're good at.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 11:18:27 PM »

Haha, what?

Who suggested Obama would win Alaska duke?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 11:23:10 PM »

Well, there's also going to be some resentment towards the GOP in AK given all that's gone on with the corruption charges.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 11:30:04 PM »

Haha, what?

Yes, I can actually read. I saw people suggesting that it would not hurt if Obama campaigned and/or advertised in Alaska. I saw no one say they actually thought Obama would seriously win it.

But hey, don't mind me, f**kwad. Go on being the dumbest and most worthless douche bag on the forum. It's the only thing you're good at.

Boo hoo. Like I give a rats ass what most of the posters, especially mindless Obamaniacs, think about me on this forum. I'm here to be a dick and argue politics because that's what I like to do in my spare time/when I'm at work/school, not to make lifelong friends and impress people by outdoing everyone on the competition involving showing our unconditional love for Barack Obama or how much we hate George Bush. But I'll quit because apparently you don't want to be embarrassed in front of everyone because it's oh so important to be well liked by everyone here. But, if I remember correctly, you are more hated than I am, so it looks like you have a lot of work to do! 

Haha, what?

Who suggested Obama would win Alaska duke?

I never said anyone said he'd win. Fezzy did that sarcastically, but people are saying "if we works hard, if he spends money, there are lots of young people, etc..." the generic BS people say about every state, that have the idea that he could win it in the right conditions. When someone suggests McCain doing the same, as Fezzy points out, people jump all over that person. I was crucified for suggesting McCain would break 40% in Massachusetts.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies