Do you agree with the Catholic church on the Freemasons?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:50:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you agree with the Catholic church on the Freemasons?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you agree with the Catholic church on the Freemasons?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Do you agree with the Catholic church on the Freemasons?  (Read 7255 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:48:49 PM »

Yes. this is one of the rare issues where I think the RCC gets it exactly right. No Mason can be a Catholic in good standing. You join them and you are basically de facto excommunicated.

Good for them.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:56:07 PM »

The Masons are good people. I tend to buy into a lot of conspiracy theories, and I’ve heard a lot of talk that masons are worshipers of Bael, or another of Satan’s aviators, and for all I know, they are. But I have family in the Masons who seem to be pretty nice and claim to be Christians, so I don’t think they should all be prosecuted.  The Catholic church however is free to excommunicate whoever they want, just as I would be if I started my own religion, but I see no point for it here.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 12:02:56 AM »

Give me something that's actually horrible about the Freemasons. Until then, my best source for information about them is War and Peace.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »

http://www.freemasonrywatch.org/

Interesting stuff.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 12:21:03 AM »

Seems like a crackpot conspiracy theory site to me. I could be wrong, though.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 07:54:50 AM »

Catholics are still afraid of Freemasons?  Good.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:29:23 AM »

Bingo.

My wife's grandfather was a mason.  And a member of the United Church of Christ.  His masonic lodge buddies had a small memorial service before the funeral to which the family was invited.  I had grown up hearing all sorts of innuendo, mumbo jumbo and hocus pocus about the Masons, so I was worried there would be some sort of nonsense or heresy.

Nothing of the kind.  They put an apron on the corpse because it represented his service to God and humanity.  And because, the Masonic leader said, "as he is covered by this apron, we recognize that his sins are covered by the blood of Jesus Christ".

Sounded pretty Biblical to me, actually. 

Now, if the Masons are devil worshipers, they've done a bloody good job of hiding it.  And while I wouldn't join, I wouldn't hesistate to donate money to one of their projects to help disabled children.  They do great work.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 12:33:56 PM »

Absolutely

I know that there are Catholic Freemasons but I am still totally skeptical.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 01:55:51 PM »

Can someone explain to me why Masons get under the skin of the Catholic Church in particular? 
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 02:05:43 PM »

Masons should be prohibited from holding political office.

Bingo.

My wife's grandfather was a mason. And a member of the United Church of Christ.  His masonic lodge buddies had a small memorial service before the funeral to which the family was invited.  I had grown up hearing all sorts of innuendo, mumbo jumbo and hocus pocus about the Masons, so I was worried there would be some sort of nonsense or heresy.

Nothing of the kind.  They put an apron on the corpse because it represented his service to God and humanity.  And because, the Masonic leader said, "as he is covered by this apron, we recognize that his sins are covered by the blood of Jesus Christ".

Now, if the Masons are devil worshipers, they've done a bloody good job of hiding it.  And while I wouldn't join, I wouldn't hesistate to donate money to one of their projects to help disabled children.  They do great work.

Good to know he was a member of a church that produces such hallmarks of piety as Rev. Jeremiah Wright.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 02:29:35 PM »

Good to know he was a member of a church that produces such hallmarks of piety as Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

Tell me your church Bono and I'm sure I can dig out a stinker who is a member and then tar you by association Wink
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 03:36:20 PM »

Tell me your church Bono and I'm sure I can dig out a stinker who is a member and then tar you by association Wink

Unfortunately, people like Wright are the norm for the denomination. It's long forgot about Christ and became a haven for social gospelists.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 12:10:18 PM »

Masons should be prohibited from holding political office.

Bingo.

My wife's grandfather was a mason. And a member of the United Church of Christ.  His masonic lodge buddies had a small memorial service before the funeral to which the family was invited.  I had grown up hearing all sorts of innuendo, mumbo jumbo and hocus pocus about the Masons, so I was worried there would be some sort of nonsense or heresy.

Yep.  He loved Jesus with all his heart.  And cared deeply about the poor and needy of his community.  Grandpa Erbie was famous for baking bread or going fishing and then taking the fruit of his labor to shut ins, homeless shelters or senior centers.  When he discovered that an older man down the street was living in squalor after suffering a stroke, he personally cleaned up both the man (he bathed and shaved him and washed his clothes) and his home.

We always tried to tell him what a wonderful example he was.  And he would have none of it.  He would say thinks like, "Considering what Jesus has done for me...how could I do any less for those he cares about?"

Yeah -- shame on the United Church of Christ for turning out disciples like that.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »

I'd be interested in this also. 

And as to the social gospel, it's not an either-or prosition.  Jesus gave us the Great Commission:  "Go into all the world, preach, baptize and make disciples".  And Jesus also gave us the Great Commandment: "Whatever you have done to the least of these, you have done unto me." 

I agree that, in the period from the 50's through the 80's, many mainline Protestant and Catholic Churches showed preference for the Great Commandment and disregard for the Great Commission.  Shame on them.  But shame also on Evangelicals who, for just as long or longer, have eschewed the Great Commandment and embraced only the Great Commission.  And more often than not, they reject the Great Commandment because it requires personal sacrifice.  They prefer the Great Commission because they believe all it requires is flapping your gums about Jesus and identifying those who are damned to hell.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 03:36:29 PM »

I'm unchurched due to logistical issues, but I identify with the Presbyterian Church in America in the United States.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 04:43:52 PM »

That's what I thought.  Now, the question becomes -- which wing of the PCA are we talking about?

There's the Bible-based, Christ-centered wing represented by this guy...

http://www.keylife.org/

And then there are these clowns, some of whom remain in the PCA and some of whom have splintered...

Gary North of the Institute for Christian Economics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_North_(Christian_Reconstructionist)

North has his followers and disciples too, most still in the PCA but several now deceased.  These include David Chilton, Kenneth Gentry Junior, D. James Kennedy, Gary DeMar and Andrew Sandlin.  I'm not sure any of them (except possibly Chilton) ever advocated the state sponsored execution of homosexuals, witches and abortive women like North has.  But each has argued that Christianity must use the sword and the pen to conquer all other religions and take control (or Dominion) of government...in the US and abroad.

So color me torn on the PCA.  People like Steve Brown are a credit to a wonderful, solidly Evangelical church that exists to reach people for Jesus Christ and help those in need.  But people like North are the absolute antithesis to both American Democracy and the teachings of Jesus relative to those who "sin differently" than the rest of us.

I'm unchurched due to logistical issues, but I identify with the Presbyterian Church in America in the United States.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 12:51:44 AM »

Can someone explain to me why Masons get under the skin of the Catholic Church in particular? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry_and_Catholicism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_Freemasonry
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 04:22:38 PM »

First, I'm not Roman Catholic, but I am a Freemason. 

The reason I'm not Roman Catholic has nothing to do with Freemasonry.  If the Church we to announce tomorrow that the ban were lifted, I wouldn't show up at the Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul tomorrow.  My reasons are theological and of some of polity.

That said, while I see nothing wrong in Freemasonry, I respect the Church's position, though I disagree with it.  If I woke up tomorrow as Pope, I'd remove the ban and leave it to the individual's Catholics conscience.  I would encourage all those that join to an exemplar of the faith, by their conduct, even in lodge.  I agree with the canon as interpreted by Franjo Cardinal Šeper.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 04:56:08 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well that clears that one up!  There is just so much fascinating stuff out "there" isn't there?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 06:53:58 AM »

Competing symbolic forms?  Funny.  Jesus was real big on symbolism, that's why He liked parables so much!
aussieboy
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 06:51:13 PM »

Bingo.

My wife's grandfather was a mason.  And a member of the United Church of Christ.  His masonic lodge buddies had a small memorial service before the funeral to which the family was invited.  I had grown up hearing all sorts of innuendo, mumbo jumbo and hocus pocus about the Masons, so I was worried there would be some sort of nonsense or heresy.

The Catholic Church teaches that when one is redeemed, in a state of grace, one's sins are expunged, not merely covered. That is one incompatibility with Church teaching and Masonry.

In other words, the faithful are prohibited from joining it, just as they are prohibited joining other organizations with stark doctrinal differences.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies