why didnt clinton have a game plan post-super tuesday?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:32:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  why didnt clinton have a game plan post-super tuesday?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: why didnt clinton have a game plan post-super tuesday?  (Read 936 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:45:23 AM »

this question has been going over and over in my head since super tuesday.

what was the campaign expecting on super tuesday that they didnt get?  i can only think of two states-missouri and possibly connecticut.  but even if she would have won those states, it wouldnt have been a 'knockout blow'

see kiddies, this is a good reason not to ever hire mark penn.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:55:58 AM »

Again, it comes down to the fact that she considered her eventual nomination to be inevitable.  When it became evident in the weeks before Iowa and the days after it that she was going to have put up a fight, she suddenly found that she had to create a new strategy in a very short period of time.

see kiddies, this is a good reason not to ever hire mark penn.

No kidding.  Did you see that story in Time about the campaign strategy session held shortly after Penn was hired?  Penn reasoned that everything would be okay for their campaign once Clinton won California, as she would take all of its 370 delegates.  I was amazed.
8 out of 11 is not deserved
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »

Arrogance
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 12:19:22 PM »

this question has been going over and over in my head since super tuesday.

what was the campaign expecting on super tuesday that they didnt get?  i can only think of two states-missouri and possibly connecticut.  but even if she would have won those states, it wouldnt have been a 'knockout blow'

Probably more actually. I recall that idiot Gabu predicting she would win everything except Illinois, plus take a look at the compiled prediction map on this site. Looks like Minnesota owned this forum's predictors. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »

I recall that idiot Gabu predicting she would win everything except Illinois

And I recall that idiot BRTD believing he was serious.

As I said before, I'm sticking to my guns of a prediction of >50% for Hillary in every state.

Illinois?

EVEN ILLINOIS
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 12:43:13 PM »

I recall that idiot Gabu predicting she would win everything except Illinois

And I recall that idiot BRTD believing he was serious.

As I said before, I'm sticking to my guns of a prediction of >50% for Hillary in every state.

Illinois?

EVEN ILLINOIS

That's why i sad "except Illinois" since he obviously wasn't serious there. I see nothing showing he wasn't on the other states.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 12:49:03 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2008, 12:57:16 PM by Joe Republic »

That's why i sad "except Illinois" since he obviously wasn't serious there. I see nothing showing he wasn't on the other states.

Can you prove it?

All I found - e.g. the post below - was that his prediction of a Clinton sweep on Super Tuesday was him making light of his own terrible prediction record, in favor of his preferred candidate (Obama).

Given my propensity for making bad primary predictions, I'm going to go with Clinton winning with 40% [in South Carolina] and hope that my streak continues.

For my next act, I'm going to predict Clinton breaking 50% in Florida and in every single Super Tuesday state.

Your character assassinations are increasingly desperate, BRTD.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »

I doubt if either candidate planned for this.  Any candidate who had a plan to stage a long, expensive, divisive nomination battle is an idiot. 

Hillary planned to hit with everything until Super Tuesday.

Obama initially hoped for a win in IA and NH that would shut the process down (and he almost did).  Some of that was due to resources; he had less money.  It paid off for him because he could still raise money and grow his resources.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »

Can you prove it?

All I found - e.g. the post below - was that his prediction of a Clinton sweep on Super Tuesday was him making light of his own terrible prediction record, in favor of his preferred candidate (Obama).

Given my propensity for making bad primary predictions, I'm going to go with Clinton winning with 40% [in South Carolina] and hope that my streak continues.

For my next act, I'm going to predict Clinton breaking 50% in Florida and in every single Super Tuesday state.

Your character assassinations are increasingly desperate, BRTD.

This is what he said in the final Super Tuesday predictions poll.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 12:58:14 PM »

I doubt if either candidate planned for this.  Any candidate who had a plan to stage a long, expensive, divisive nomination battle is an idiot. 

Obama initially hoped for a win in IA and NH that would shut the process down (and he almost did).  Some of that was due to resources; he had less money.  It paid off for him because he could still raise money and grow his resources.

Yet Obama was clearly prepared for things to go past his strategy, and Hillary wasn't.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 01:01:57 PM »

Read the rest of that thread.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 01:04:44 PM »

So can you point me to Gabu's "real" predictions?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 01:08:01 PM »

They're more than likely in the same place as mine.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 01:32:30 PM »

The idea that Obama was so "prepared" is not necessarily true. THe states that followed Super Tuesday were all his, except maybe Wisconsin and that was sort of a bonus from the others. Despite his big winning streak he obviously didn't have that good a plan for Ohio or Pennsylvania.

But, yeah, Clinton should have handled February better. Much better. That's when she lost the race, imo.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 01:36:35 PM »

Oh, I know why. Because her campaign sucked.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »

The idea that Obama was so "prepared" is not necessarily true. THe states that followed Super Tuesday were all his, except maybe Wisconsin and that was sort of a bonus from the others. Despite his big winning streak he obviously didn't have that good a plan for Ohio or Pennsylvania.

But, yeah, Clinton should have handled February better. Much better. That's when she lost the race, imo.

He was favored maybe, but did anyone expect him to win Virginia by that much for example? He was prepared to get bigger wins than he would've normally.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 01:46:18 PM »

they werent all his.  she gave them away.  there is no way that va should have been a nearly 30 point win for obama.  she could have done better in washington and maine.

she surrendered.  and built a march 4 'firewall'
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 02:37:34 PM »

Again, it comes down to the fact that she considered her eventual nomination to be inevitable.

I've seen lots of people say that, but I'm a bit more generous than that.  I don't necessarily think she thought her nomination was inevitable.  Just that she figured that one of the two candidates would likely have it all but locked up after Super Tuesday, though not necessarily her.  (Though of course she would have thought that it would more likely be her than Obama.)  If it's all over one way or the other on Super Tuesday, then there's no point in planning for what happens after that.  She thought that whoever was behind after ST would be doomed.

She was hardly alone in thinking this, as many many pundits also thought it would probably be over on Super Tuesday, including many people on this forum (including me).  This was hardly a radical prediction to make, seeing as how every other nomination fight for both parties in the last 20 years was more or less decided on or before Super Tuesday.

Still, despite all that, even if she thought it would be over on Feb. 5th, it would have been a good idea to have a backup plan in case that didn't work out.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 02:49:33 PM »

Yet Obama was clearly prepared for things to go past his strategy, and Hillary wasn't.

I have no evidence that his strategy was not to take big donations early on, so that he could raise them during the campaign.

The situation worked for him, but I doubt if he planned it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 03:27:11 PM »

In answer to the question, one reason, in conjunction with all the others, is because Clinton and her campaign vastly underestimated Obama's appeal and abilities, and the superb organization and money raising adeptness of the Obama campaign.

Once Barack had racked up an impressive string of victories, in small to mid-sized states, it was already beginning to be too late for Hillary to launch an effective counter offensive, and overtake the lead.

When this happened, Hillary's aura of inevitability had all but dissipated, and she was in for a real fight.  In spite of using every trick in the book, Hillary still failed to surpass Barack, and now, going into the last contests, likely splitting between Barack and Hillary, therefore, Barack finishing clearly ahead in pledged delegates, now in super delegates, and, realistically, in the popular vote.

Therefore, from what appeared from the beginning to be a Hillary coronation, has now turned full circle into an Obama win.

For the most part, Obama and his team ran an impressive and successful campaign, and Hillary and her team ran a campaign that was adept to some extent, however, a campaign that was lacking in foresight, a campaign that was ruthless, and a campaign that used far too much of reprobate Bubba.

Hillary and Bubba deserved to lose.  No one has an entitlement to the Presidency.

It is my sincere hope that Hillary's loss will once and for all put an end to the seemingly endless Bush/Clinton domination of Presidential poltics.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies