Is it wrong for people to scape goat the Catholic Church's
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:06:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is it wrong for people to scape goat the Catholic Church's
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Everything in the RCC's fault, regardless of evidence or reasoning to the contrary

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Is it wrong for people to scape goat the Catholic Church's  (Read 5606 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 11:37:34 AM »

You think one should always save lives, regardless of circumstances and what is required? I could save a ton of lives if I robbed a little old lady in the street and donated the money to charity, for instance. Is it immoral for me to refrain?

Not a fan of taxation, then?  Tongue

Huh?

Not to sound like a hyper-libertarian, but other than forcing you to spend time filling out forms, what's the moral difference between robbery and taxation, if both have the ends of bettering society?  What makes one moral, and the other immoral?  Besides the assumption that the government has more oversight in managing the money, and the negative psychological impact of being robbed forcefully, I don't see any.

Oh. Sure, that could be an interesting discussion, but I don't believe it's of the utmost importance for my point, since most people support the existence of taxes and don't support robbery.

But two answers to your point: in taxation we reach some sort of consensus whereby at least a majority of the people, hopefully guided by a constitution through certain measures try to achieve common goals. In the robbery I'm more into what Mango seems to be arguing, namely that I myself know what should be done and does it without paying any heed to other people.

Secondly, in most free societies there is an implied limit to what levels of taxation are acceptable. The robbery was based precisely on the premise that there was no such limit. Keep in mind that the robbery was supposed to be committed by me, living in a country with the world's highest taxes and the largest foreign aid, as a GDP percentage (IIRC).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 12:15:18 PM »

Oh. Sure, that could be an interesting discussion, but I don't believe it's of the utmost importance for my point, since most people support the existence of taxes and don't support robbery.

But two answers to your point: in taxation we reach some sort of consensus whereby at least a majority of the people, hopefully guided by a constitution through certain measures try to achieve common goals. In the robbery I'm more into what Mango seems to be arguing, namely that I myself know what should be done and does it without paying any heed to other people.

Secondly, in most free societies there is an implied limit to what levels of taxation are acceptable. The robbery was based precisely on the premise that there was no such limit. Keep in mind that the robbery was supposed to be committed by me, living in a country with the world's highest taxes and the largest foreign aid, as a GDP percentage (IIRC).

That's fair.  I was mostly being snarky.  Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 01:32:29 PM »

Short answer to the original question?

No. The univeralism and indivisable nature of the Church and the hierarchy that has been constructed as a result means every problem, every wrong and every failing is ultimately the responsbility of the Vatican. Such is the nature of such an institution.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 11:41:28 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

supersoulty, you're casually ignoring the fact that there are various brave aid organizations in Africa that are doing all they can to spread education about sex and the health benefits of condoms, despite the constants threats and deceitful myths spread out by the Catholic Church about condoms. My heart and good wishes go to all of them, and I occasioanlly send them monetary donations.

The Catholic Church is in a perfect position to also do this, but they do not. This makes them immoral. I do not care one bit what Church doctrine is. if you are in a position to save lives, and you do not do so, you are immoral.

I know your response will probably be 'But the church teaches abstinence instead.' Very well, but that does not account for the myths and propaganda sent out by them against condoms and it does not account for the attacks on anyone who promotes or distributes them.

Why can't the Catholic Church just say, ' it is our doctrine that you should not have sex before marriage and sex is only for procreation, but if you feel compelled to flaunt this doctrine, then please for your own sake, wear a condom.'

Why exactly can't or won't they say that?

You think one should always save lives, regardless of circumstances and what is required? I could save a ton of lives if I robbed a little old lady in the street and donated the money to charity, for instance. Is it immoral for me to refrain?

The analogy is false. You're talking about doing something seen as bad for the result of something generally seen as good. The Church is doing something they seem to think is good, with the result of something generally seen as bad.

Maybe if you actively created a major campaign against charities, told people they are useless and that bad things would happen to those who gave money to them...that might be a better analogy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 07:16:04 AM »

supersoulty, you're casually ignoring the fact that there are various brave aid organizations in Africa that are doing all they can to spread education about sex and the health benefits of condoms, despite the constants threats and deceitful myths spread out by the Catholic Church about condoms. My heart and good wishes go to all of them, and I occasioanlly send them monetary donations.

The Catholic Church is in a perfect position to also do this, but they do not. This makes them immoral. I do not care one bit what Church doctrine is. if you are in a position to save lives, and you do not do so, you are immoral.

I know your response will probably be 'But the church teaches abstinence instead.' Very well, but that does not account for the myths and propaganda sent out by them against condoms and it does not account for the attacks on anyone who promotes or distributes them.

Why can't the Catholic Church just say, ' it is our doctrine that you should not have sex before marriage and sex is only for procreation, but if you feel compelled to flaunt this doctrine, then please for your own sake, wear a condom.'

The analogy is false. You're talking about doing something seen as bad for the result of something generally seen as good. The Church is doing something they seem to think is good, with the result of something generally seen as bad.

Maybe if you actively created a major campaign against charities, told people they are useless and that bad things would happen to those who gave money to them...that might be a better analogy.

I never claimed it was an analogy. You said "if you are in a position to save lives, and you do not do so, you are immoral."

I merely asked if you actually believed in this by providing you with an example.

As for your point, the Church obviously think that the result they're getting (people not using condoms) is a good result and that the negative side-effects are an acceptable cost. Just the same as with my example. But, again, that is not really relevant. You made a very sweeping statement and I found it hard to believe that you would stand by it.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 08:33:16 AM »

That is the nub of my critique. They seem to think that preserving the purity of their doctrine is more important than anything. If they really cared about AIDS, then they would make the statement I said above, ' Our belief is that you abstain from sex from marriage, but if you feel compelled to break this doctrine, then please wear a condom, for your own health.' I know there are some factions of the Catholic Church that wish they would say that, but unfortunately they are in the minority.

As for my statement, I admit is is sweeping. I meant it more rhetorically speaking, than anything. But I don't think it detracts from my argument, as you must admit that there are degrees of responsibility for saving lives. Not telling a deaf person that they're about to get run over is on the highest end, your analogy is on the lowest. As regards the argument we're having, the Church's responsibility is clearly close to the lower end of the scale, but that is not enough for an organization that proposes to be the beacon of moral guidance for a billion people.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 10:06:55 AM »

That is the nub of my critique. They seem to think that preserving the purity of their doctrine is more important than anything. If they really cared about AIDS, then they would make the statement I said above, ' Our belief is that you abstain from sex from marriage, but if you feel compelled to break this doctrine, then please wear a condom, for your own health.' I know there are some factions of the Catholic Church that wish they would say that, but unfortunately they are in the minority.

As for my statement, I admit is is sweeping. I meant it more rhetorically speaking, than anything. But I don't think it detracts from my argument, as you must admit that there are degrees of responsibility for saving lives. Not telling a deaf person that they're about to get run over is on the highest end, your analogy is on the lowest. As regards the argument we're having, the Church's responsibility is clearly close to the lower end of the scale, but that is not enough for an organization that proposes to be the beacon of moral guidance for a billion people.

Now I think we're getting to the truth. But I'll quit being a Socratic ass and just say what I'm trying to get you to admit: namely, that the real difference between you and the Catholic Church lies more in that you have different ideas of what is a moral principle. You wouldn't refrain from saving lives in order to uphold Catholic dogma, but you would, perhaps, hopefully, for other reasons. And the virtues of Catholic dogma are hard to argue about, imo.

I should note that I personally don't agree with it either. I'm a condom-supporter myself. Tongue
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »

Well, first off, it's not the Catholic Churches position that sex is only for procreation.  I challenge you to do something that almost no one who opposes Catholic Doctrine has ever done and actually read Humanae Vitae.  The notion that the Catholic only wants you to have sex to make more little Catholics is a position that is advanced only by the ignorant, liars and feministas.

Secondly, if you oppose murder, do you then qualify that by saying, "but, if you are gonna do it, then shoot them in the head, so that way they don't feel it."  No, because, the mere sanity of saying something like that aside, it makes it so that you do, in fact, endorse murder.  The Catholic Church doesn't endorse premarital sex at all, thus they have no need to endorse anything other than not having premarital sex.  Plain and simple.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2008, 05:54:25 PM »

I challenge you to do something that almost no one who opposes Catholic Doctrine has ever done and actually read Humanae Vitae. 

Most who do oppose Catholic doctrine (or parts of it) tend to read/quote Humanae Vitae re prohibition of artificial contraception. Rather than wave your arms about (as you seem to be doing alot recently) what Mango paraphrased was basically the position held by the proponents of the Winnipeg Statement whereby those who cannot follow the prescribed Church position should not be ostracised, disciplined or excommunicated but that 'whoever honestly chooses that course which seems right to him does so in good conscience.' For the record, the Winnipeg Statement has never really been formally opposed or responded to.

Thankfully millions of Catholics continue to exercise both sense and conscience and make use of artificial contraception. Vatican diktats rarely change behaviour among lay Catholics anyway (bar the conservatives) and Humanae Vitae is no exception. As my late papa said 'Catholics think before they pray' and thank goodness for that!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2008, 12:03:33 AM »

I challenge you to do something that almost no one who opposes Catholic Doctrine has ever done and actually read Humanae Vitae.

Most who do oppose Catholic doctrine (or parts of it) tend to read/quote Humanae Vitae re prohibition of artificial contraception. Rather than wave your arms about (as you seem to be doing alot recently) what Mango paraphrased was basically the position held by the proponents of the Winnipeg Statement whereby those who cannot follow the prescribed Church position should not be ostracised, disciplined or excommunicated but that 'whoever honestly chooses that course which seems right to him does so in good conscience.' For the record, the Winnipeg Statement has never really been formally opposed or responded to.

Thankfully millions of Catholics continue to exercise both sense and conscience and make use of artificial contraception. Vatican diktats rarely change behaviour among lay Catholics anyway (bar the conservatives) and Humanae Vitae is no exception. As my late papa said 'Catholics think before they pray' and thank goodness for that!

No, most who oppose Catholic Doctrine tend to quote, in soundbytes, what they think Humanae Vitae says because all they know is that "prohibited artificial contraception" (in fact, it did not, it only reinforced a traditional ban already in place), what Paul writes about in it is a very well thought out and passionate defense of the Churches position by talking about human dignity, ideal human love, the couple as a reflection of God's love, etc.  I would strongly recommend people read it, as they might gain some appreciation of where the Church is coming from, other than simply saying "the Church thinks sex is only for procreation" which is patently false.  And when people are lying or acting out of sheer ignorance, I'll wave my arms as much as a damn well please.

No one has to agree with it, and I didn't ask for that.  I ask for understanding.  I understand where you are coming from, because I share your appraisal of the situation, for the most part.  I simply find it unconscionable for anyone who sits in wait to attack something he or she opposes to not at least make an effort to try to understand that which they mean to tear down.

I'm tired of all too often having to come into a room and try to have an open discussion with people who are unwilling to make an attempt at opening their own minds.  My effort to do so was meant to help, not hurt.  And personally, I'm not sorry you saw it otherwise, because there is apparently nothing I can do about that.  I don't mourn for something that can't be helped.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2008, 12:26:07 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2008, 12:35:23 AM by Supersoulty »

And the irony is, on the whole Progressives probably severely damaged their own cause with their merciless dogpile on Paul and Humanae Vitae, because the terrible extent to which Paul was trashed by people in the West prevented the most progressive Pope anyone is likely to see in a longtime from releasing another encyclical on any subject ever again. 

Of course, if you are going to make comments like "As my late papa said 'Catholics think before they pray' and thank goodness for that!" Then I suppose it is fair for me to shoot back in say that maybe it was God's great will that the Progressives crucified their highest supporter in the name of their idiocy.

But saying as much would just be adding to the cycle of assholic attacks. 

I'm very proud of my Church thank you, and when I do disagree with it, I do so respectfully because I actually make the effort to understand where the Church leaders are coming from.  And I think while I pray, thank you.  And your suggestion that I should be anything but proud enlightens my understanding as to what a waste of time it ever was trying to convince you that Catholicism is not something to be mocked.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2008, 10:16:35 AM »

But saying as much would just be adding to the cycle of assholic attacks. 

I'm very proud of my Church thank you, and when I do disagree with it, I do so respectfully because I actually make the effort to understand where the Church leaders are coming from.  And I think while I pray, thank you.  And your suggestion that I should be anything but proud enlightens my understanding as to what a waste of time it ever was trying to convince you that Catholicism is not something to be mocked.

Well thanks for distilling everything I said down to being a 'assholic attack' Sad I don't know at what point you thought a statement of support for another perons point of view became an attack. I didn't even disagree with Humanae Vitae ffs, I just said some of those who oppose the Church's position actually take time to read the bloody thing

You say Catholicism is not something to be mocked. For the record I believe it is. I believe every faith and every belief should recognise that people have a right to mock it, either intellectually or through crass misinformation. You seem to having trouble of late in differentiating between the two. You think it's tough to defend your faith? Put on my shoes for a day Chris and see how difficult it is not just to justify your faith and your Church to others but to yourself

You think I'm disrespectful to the Church in my arguments? Well, to be frank thats bullsh-t (and it's not easy for me to call one of my favourite posters a bullsh-tter) You could have answered my point on the merits of the Winnipeg Statement, but instead you went off track and personal. You didn't reply to my last questions on the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons. I understand you were 'internally conflicted' regarding that issue, but your lack of a response left me hanging. For someone who wants people to take time to read and understand Catholic doctrine, maybe you could be more responsive and constructive to those who actually do.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2008, 09:43:48 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2008, 10:16:29 PM by Torie »

No,  absolutely. Folks are going to have sex, and the issue is how lethal it will be. This hectoring about abstinence is just so way out of the zone of reality, and often permeated by hypocrisy. Some of the higher up Catholic clergy in Africa have concubines, or so I am told by a knowledgeable  and serious Catholic.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »

Yes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies