Gallup poll shows that Obama is weak among white voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:25:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Gallup poll shows that Obama is weak among white voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gallup poll shows that Obama is weak among white voters  (Read 5051 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:40:29 PM »
« edited: May 23, 2008, 12:02:10 AM by Ronnie »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/107416/Obama-Faces-Uphill-Climb-vs-McCain-Among-White-Voters.aspx

The most surprising fact in this poll to me is that McCain leads Obama among college educated white men by 13 points.  And he just trails by 4 points among college educated white women.

He leads among people with no college education by huge margins.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 11:44:12 PM »

Most troubling thing about this was his weakness with women voters. It will be funny if disgruntled feminists help elect John Mccain and then he appoints a judge who casts the deciding vote on roe v wade. I will be laughing for days and it will be good for the democratic party anyways.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 11:47:56 PM »

Please note among white men he does the same as Hillary, and not really much worse than Kerry (and a statistical tie actually)
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 11:59:17 PM »

Also note that he only needs about 38-39% of white men to have a good shot at winning.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 12:03:20 AM »

If Obama loses every Hillary supporter will be saying the biggest I told you so ever.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 12:36:04 AM »

If Obama loses every Hillary supporter will be saying the biggest I told you so ever.

Yeah but even if she could win, then we would have a President Hillary Clinton. No thanks.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 12:36:17 AM »

Let's think back to mid-2007 and why Obama's campaign took off in the first place. Remember the fear about nominating the polarizing and unelectable Hillary?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 01:06:07 AM »

The Democratic candidate is always weak among white voters. You may as well give a poll pointing out that McCain is going to get creamed among black voters.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 01:08:31 AM »

The most surprising fact in this poll to me is that McCain leads Obama among college educated white men by 13 points.  And he just trails by 4 points among college educated white women.

Bush and Kerry tied among all college educated voters:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

so I assume that Bush did at least that well among *white* college educated voters.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 07:19:43 AM »

The Democratic candidate is always weak among white voters. You may as well give a poll pointing out that McCain is going to get creamed among black voters.

Since 1968, no Democratic candidate has won a majority of white voters.  Most, if not all, has won a majority of the white Democratic voters.  Obama is in real danger of losing that group in the Fall, or at least, not carrying it strongly enough to win in the Fall.  The campaign didn't start out that way, but since March, it's been drifting that direction.  It's actually gotten worse since then. 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 08:23:18 AM »

Since 1968, no Democratic candidate has won a majority of white voters.  Most, if not all, has won a majority of the white Democratic voters.  Obama is in real danger of losing that group in the Fall, or at least, not carrying it strongly enough to win in the Fall.  The campaign didn't start out that way, but since March, it's been drifting that direction.  It's actually gotten worse since then. 

If this poll is any indication, Obama is winning white Democratic voters handily. But I wouldn't expect otherwise from someone whose only consistency has been to be consistently wrong.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 08:25:17 AM »

Considering that Obama has according to exit polls even would win a majority of white Democrats in West Virginia, and has carried at least 40% of white Democrats in most states, it's pretty safe to say he'll win white Democrats in the general election, even when you include "Dixiecrats" that haven't voted Democratic for President in years anyway.

If this poll is any indication, Obama is winning white Democratic voters handily. But I wouldn't expect otherwise from someone whose only consistency has been to be consistently wrong.

Good one!
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 08:44:02 AM »

racists, obviously.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 10:10:43 AM »

You're delusional if you think that Obama won't win the majority of white Democrats in November.  He'd have to lose 70-30 not to.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 10:30:10 AM »

You mean Obama isn't white? 
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 11:04:13 AM »

Well, he's not black, that's for sure.  hahaha
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 04:04:03 PM »

Except he's not winning it overall, not even the white Democratic vote.  Oregon, out of the  primaries since March, has been the only one; Vermont was the only one in March where he did it.  Prior to that, Obama was winning the white primary vote, but not since then.

When you take that to the white "working class" vote, it has gotten worse.

You're delusional if you think that Obama won't win the majority of white Democrats in November.  He'd have to lose 70-30 not to.

More like 48-52 to 45-55.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »

White Democratic voters in the General polls, J. J.  No one is saying that Obama has won White Democrats in the Primary.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 04:39:40 PM »

White Democratic voters in the General polls, J. J.  No one is saying that Obama has won White Democrats in the Primary.

Alcon, I'm saying that this is the problem for Obama, not that he'll lose the the white vote (he will, so did Nixon (1968), Carter (1976), and Clinton (Both Times)).  I'm looking at the primary numbers and saying that Obama is in danger of with white Democratic voters.  He can be nominated with a sizable minority of the Democratic white votes, but he cannot win the general unless he improves with this group.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 04:17:03 PM »

The point is the odds of Obama not winning a majority of white Democrats is basically nil. If Obama was losing white Democrats he'd be losing in states like Washington and California and probably barely above 52% or so in New York.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 12:09:14 AM »

White Democrats:
Obama 85%
McCain 14%