FOX anchor openly calls for Obama assasination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:14:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  FOX anchor openly calls for Obama assasination
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: FOX anchor openly calls for Obama assasination  (Read 5330 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 12:20:36 PM »

It was a gaffe (accidently speaking the truth) that should get Fox in big trouble and this woman off the air.  Her "both if we could" comment deserves to have her professionally ruined. 

Horrible.

I'm not sure she works for Fox; she looks like someone being interviewed.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »

It was a gaffe (accidently speaking the truth) that should get Fox in big trouble and this woman off the air.  Her "both if we could" comment deserves to have her professionally ruined. 

Horrible.

Here's another one.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 01:03:07 PM »

Horrible.

Here's another one.

Where?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 01:46:10 PM »

1.) The comment was obviously in jest
2.) A movie was made about Bush being assassinated, which most liberals praised
3.) She said we should kill bin Laden, does BRTD find a problem with this?
4.) The host made a point of acknowledging what she said was extreme
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 02:41:59 PM »

Horrible.

Here's another one.

Where?

Read before you post.

She's an analyst for FOX as stated in this thread.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2008, 05:30:52 PM »

Videos are passive entertainment.  I much prefer reading, where I can get all the facts at my leisure.  Whenever I'm on one of the CNN sites, they always have videos instead of stories.  That's when I close my browser and delete all the files from my computer.

I actually tend to be the same.... although I did check out the clip for this one hoping to get a better idea of the context.

Horrible.

I agree her career is probably shot over this.... If she had just done the standard Fox Obama / Osama "misspeak" it wouldn't have been too bad. To follow up the gaffe with the "both if we could" line as an attempted recovery will most likely result in Fox discontinuing whatever contract they had with her.

What is even more disturbing is the influence that this type of remark might have in legitimizing  such attitudes amongst the general population.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 05:58:19 PM »

1-This is not the type of thing to joke around about. I doubt you'd hold this attitude if some liberal commentator made a similar "joke" about McCain.
2-I greatly enjoyed a movie surrounding Bobby Kennedy's assassination. Does that mean I think that was a good thing?
3-Red herring. "She said this and that's right so let's ignore the main point!"
4-Yes, which is why I'm not attacking him over this. But that hardly gets Trotta off the hook.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 06:24:29 PM »

Let's put it this way, boys and girls, if the Secret Service arrests her, she crossed the line (although it's uncertain she committed a crime).

If not, it's a dead issue.

And yes the title is misleading and should be changed.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:58 PM »

1-This is not the type of thing to joke around about. I doubt you'd hold this attitude if some liberal commentator made a similar "joke" about McCain.
2-I greatly enjoyed a movie surrounding Bobby Kennedy's assassination. Does that mean I think that was a good thing?
3-Red herring. "She said this and that's right so let's ignore the main point!"
4-Yes, which is why I'm not attacking him over this. But that hardly gets Trotta off the hook.
1.) No I would not care, conservatives got mocked and threatened for real all the time
2.) Um, Bobby Kennedy WAS assassinated, it wasn't a movie showing something that did not happen
3.) The two people are both human beings, one just cares more about America
4.) Thank you
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2008, 06:47:35 PM »

Let's put it this way, boys and girls, if the Secret Service arrests her, she crossed the line (although it's uncertain she committed a crime).

I basically agree.

I do not think she should be arrested, but the Secret Service should talk to her.  Not too long ago, some nutcase here in Indiana was arrested detained and questioned at length for saying President Bush should be assassinated.  I think it was in a letter he wrote, but I am not sure.

For that matter, I thought it was seriously sickening that someone as prominent as the Reverend Pat Robertson could advocate the use of a nuclear weapon against the U.S. Department of State and not at least be confronted by the FBI.  The remark was chalked up as religious asshattery by sane people and as his first amendment right by his supporters.  Either way, I don't think an arrest would have been warranted.  But maybe a lengthy conversation, complete with warnings.

Of course, then you'd have had Falwell and Kennedy (who were alive then) and Dobson joining ranks to call it "additional proof of persecution of Christians". @@
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2008, 07:24:21 PM »

I don't watch videos.  Can someone post a transcript?  I'll be the judge of whether the remarks are incendiary or not.

Seconded, but only because videos make my browser crash.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2008, 07:36:23 AM »

I basically agree.

I do not think she should be arrested, but the Secret Service should talk to her.  Not too long ago, some nutcase here in Indiana was arrested detained and questioned at length for saying President Bush should be assassinated.  I think it was in a letter he wrote, but I am not sure.

For that matter, I thought it was seriously sickening that someone as prominent as the Reverend Pat Robertson could advocate the use of a nuclear weapon against the U.S. Department of State and not at least be confronted by the FBI.  The remark was chalked up as religious asshattery by sane people and as his first amendment right by his supporters.  Either way, I don't think an arrest would have been warranted.  But maybe a lengthy conversation, complete with warnings.

Of course, then you'd have had Falwell and Kennedy (who were alive then) and Dobson joining ranks to call it "additional proof of persecution of Christians". @@

I apologize to JS who because of my laziness in not changing the word arrested to detained (I knew it after I posted I should have) had to type all that.....but I enjoyed reading it.  Wink
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2008, 07:48:23 AM »

The thing that catches her on this is "well both if we could."  She's discussing the articles about people wanting to knock off Obama, stumbles, and says Osama first.  Dumb comment, obviously not a threat, and nothing close to some of the things said by others in the media regarding Bush.  Pretty much a non-issue other than a dumb comment.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2008, 02:04:09 PM by TheresNoMoney »

Dumb comment, obviously not a threat, and nothing close to some of the things said by others in the media regarding Bush.

Obviously not a threat? Really? Nothing close to things being said regarding Bush? Please name me these people in the media that are calling for something even worse than assasination for President Bush. I've never heard of anyone in the media openly call for Bush's assassination like this woman did for Obama.

I am never surprised by your complete justification of hateful comments coming from the GOP.  You're extremely consistent in your bias.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »

Obama's supporters are being too angry and irrational and it's very unbecoming.

From what I read of the transcript, it seems that the reporter was attempting to say that some interpret Senator Clinton's remarks as calling for Obama's assassination, and while attempting to say this, said Osama  by accident then tried to laugh it off. Then the person who was interviewing her interpreted as if she was the one who wanted this.

So a statement over the misinterpretation of another statement which set off a loony firestorm becomes misinterpreted itself and sets off a loony firestorm of its own. Has this country gone crazy?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 02:13:26 PM »

A movie was made about actually killing Bush, and there was no outcry. Who cares? This woman isn't going to kill Obama, and if she is a threat, she will be dealt with by the secret service.

You Obama supporters are getting way too paranoid. She slipped up.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »

Dumb comment, obviously not a threat, and nothing close to some of the things said by others in the media regarding Bush.

Obviously not a threat? Really? Nothing close to things being said regarding Bush? Please name me these people in the media that are calling for something even worse than assasination for President Bush. I've never heard of anyone in the media openly call for Bush's assassination like this woman did for Obama.

I am never surprised by your complete justification of hateful comments coming from the GOP.  You're extremely consistent in your bias.

My comments are completely consistent.  I draw a line at serious threats towards any US politician, no matter what party.  This wasn't a serious threat.  She made a dumb comment/joke before she engaged her brain.  No one viewing this (with any sort of rational mind) can come to the conclusion that she was seriously advocating the assasination of Obama.  You might want to go back and watch the video again.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »

A movie was made about actually killing Bush, and there was no outcry. Who cares? This woman isn't going to kill Obama, and if she is a threat, she will be dealt with by the secret service.

Ive seen some of the movie...its actually really interesting...not to sound like a horrible person or anything.

and she just made a really stupid comment....im not going to obsess over a comment some old hag made on Fox news.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2008, 02:38:56 PM »

This wasn't a serious threat.  She made a dumb comment/joke before she engaged her brain.  No one viewing this (with any sort of rational mind) can come to the conclusion that she was seriously advocating the assasination of Obama. 

Joking about any politician's assassination is not a joke (unless you're a Republican and you're held to a different standard).

You justify her comments by saying that it's "nothing close" to what others in the media have said about Bush. I'm waiting for examples of these other things.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »

This wasn't a serious threat.  She made a dumb comment/joke before she engaged her brain.  No one viewing this (with any sort of rational mind) can come to the conclusion that she was seriously advocating the assasination of Obama. 

Joking about any politician's assassination is not a joke (unless you're a Republican and you're held to a different standard).

You justify her comments by saying that it's "nothing close" to what others in the media have said about Bush. I'm waiting for examples of these other things.

Easy enough (and more blatant):  Kerry and Bill Mahar joke about killing Bush

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »

The movie doesn't advocate killing Bush, it was just a what-if thought experiment.  This is obviously completely different.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2008, 10:12:19 AM »

Because she suggested knocking off Osama?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies