Could Hillary run as an independent?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:31:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Could Hillary run as an independent?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Hillary run as an independent?  (Read 2805 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:56:23 PM »

I have a nagging feeling that given that Hillary has been denied the Democratic nomination she had felt entitled to for many years, she could eventually say, "screw it", and run as an independent.

Then things will get really nasty.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:58:45 PM »

I doubt it.  Clinton is not deluded.  She really would stand very little chance of winning, and pretty much eliminate her chance of winning much of anything else in the future.

She doesn't want to become a pariah.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »

no chance.

i love hillary more than any human should, but even i would have a hard time finding a rationale to support an indy candidacy.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:05:10 PM »

She's not so deluded as to do so.  She and her husband don't want to lose what's left of their power in the Party.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:12:31 PM »

no
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:36:54 PM »

Ballot access would be a problem even if she were to try.  A number of States don't allow people who ran in a primary and lost their party's nomination to run as a petition candidate.  Not only that but there are already several states where it is too late now to get the signatures needed to run.  Incidentally, even if Clinton somehow pulls a rabbit out of her hat, Obama could still be on the ballot in South Carolina.  The United Citizens Party has nominated him for President.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 10:44:50 PM »

Unless they change the law, she can't in PA.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 10:45:05 PM »

Ballot access would be a problem even if she were to try.  A number of States don't allow people who ran in a primary and lost their party's nomination to run as a petition candidate.  Not only that but there are already several states where it is too late now to get the signatures needed to run.  Incidentally, even if Clinton somehow pulls a rabbit out of her hat, Obama could still be on the ballot in South Carolina.  The United Citizens Party has nominated him for President.

I think I posted that here at one point. However, Obama said at the time that he'd reject the UCP's ballot line if he didn't win the Democratic primary.

There are all sorts of states Clinton couldn't be on the ballot in, including very large states such as Texas and Pennsylvania.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 10:46:06 PM »

That would be political suicide.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 11:07:38 PM »

I agree. She'll run in 2012, regardless of who wins this time. She'll try a primary challenge against president Obama if she has to.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 11:21:55 PM »

Clinton may be a huge HP, but she wouldn't do that to the party.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 12:13:23 AM »

Not a chance in Hell, Hillary will run as an Independent in 2008. Firstly I don't think that Hillary Clinton would be that stupid and embark on an Independent candidacy in 2008 and secondly,  It would be political suicide. Thus, she'll kiss goodbye her chances at running for the Democratic Nomination in 2012, if Barack Obama loses to John McCain in 2008.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 12:15:48 AM »

Basically, it'd be a dumb idea, and I doubt it. But if it did happen, I would have to switch my opinion of her and conclude that her critics were right. Which is why I'm 100% confident that it won't happen. Smiley
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 12:47:47 AM »

I agree. She'll run in 2012, regardless of who wins this time. She'll try a primary challenge against president Obama if she has to.

Does NY allow her to run for President and Senate at the same time?  If not, that would be one hell of a risky proposition.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 01:42:12 AM »

Does NY allow her to run for President and Senate at the same time?  If not, that would be one hell of a risky proposition.

The filing deadline for the primary election is in July in New York, this year. Perhaps the date will not change.

Hilary could run for democratic nomination, and, if she loses, she can be candidate for the Senate.
skoods
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 01:57:40 AM »

No, I don't think she would. She knows that it would be downright impossible to win the election, and it would ruin her chances of ever becoming anything in Democratic politics and would dash Bill's legacy as well.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 11:04:28 AM »

All this reminds me...as an independent, starting her effort in June, how many states could she reasonably expect to get ballot access in?  I know that my homeland of TX, along with its lesser neighbor, OK, would be nearly impossible.  Any other states like that?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 07:59:19 PM »

All this reminds me...as an independent, starting her effort in June, how many states could she reasonably expect to get ballot access in?  I know that my homeland of TX, along with its lesser neighbor, OK, would be nearly impossible.  Any other states like that?

Here's a link to a list of requirements and how well the third parties and Nader are doing in gaining access as of May 1: http://www.ballot-access.org/2008/050108.html#14.

Technically, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona are the only states that if she were to start June 4th to collect signatures that she would be legally unable to get on the ballot, if she had not already run as a Democrat.  Oklahoma has the toughest ballot access laws and was the only State to have only Bush and Kerry on the ballot in 2004.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies