Would Barack Obama be considered for the presidency if he was not black? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:11:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Would Barack Obama be considered for the presidency if he was not black? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Barack Obama be considered for the presidency if he was not black?  (Read 6321 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« on: May 28, 2008, 05:34:06 PM »

Would Barack Obama be considered for the presidency if he was not black?

Would Barack Obama be Barack Obama if he wasn't black?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 05:42:21 PM »

It would be hard to say that when you have never actually argued anything.  Obama would not be a candidate if he were not black, please try to refute that statement.

Fmr. Sen. DWTL, if you would please explain to me what it would mean for Obama to not be black.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:49:23 PM »

It would be hard to say that when you have never actually argued anything.  Obama would not be a candidate if he were not black, please try to refute that statement.

Fmr. Sen. DWTL, if you would please explain to me what it would mean for Obama to not be black.
Yeah, it means if he was white he would not be considered a candidate.

But what does it mean for him to be white? Obviously his dad is black. Who is this person that is somehow Barack Obama but is not black? Does he have ultural ties to Africa? Did he travel around the world growing up? Did he spend time living in Indonesia? Does he go to a predominantly black church? Is he married to Michelle Obama? Please elaborate.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:02:25 PM »

But what does it mean for him to be white? Obviously his dad is black. Who is this person that is somehow Barack Obama but is not black? Does he have ultural ties to Africa? Did he travel around the world growing up? Did he spend time living in Indonesia? Does he go to a predominantly black church? Is he married to Michelle Obama? Please elaborate.

Do you even understand the point here Fmr. Sen. DWTL?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:12:19 PM »

Do you even understand the point here Fmr. Sen. DWTL?
I don't mean this to be rude, but I have not seen you post before and I am wondering, are you unfamiliar with English or at least American culture?  It was a hypothetical, I am not saying that there is a white Obama out there.  I'm saying Obama is black and that is why he is succesful, hence, if he was not black he would not be concerned for the presidency

The point is that your question, your hypothetical, is null.

It's like asking what's north of the north pole. Sure, it's a hypothetical that there could be a north of the north pole. But there's no way to even attempt a sensible anwer because the question is absurd.

Obama is black. That is the reality. You pose it as a hypothetical, well what if he were white? Well, someone who is white does not have the human experience that he has had as a black person...as a mixed person at that. Being black is a part of who Obama is not just in terms of his skin color but in shaping his entire life. Just as whatever race you are has shaped your entire life and who you are right now.

Is Obama being considered for the Presidency because he is black? Yes. Because being black has made him who he is. People are voting for the man, not his skin. And yes, he is different from any white person who has run for the Presidency.

There's nothing special about being black here. Bush was considered for the Presidency because he was white. Being white made him who he was. Would people have voted for Bush if he was black? The question doesn't even make sense.

Would Barack Obama be considered for the presidency if he was not black? Null question.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies