New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:03:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: New York State to Recognize Gay Marriages  (Read 20086 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 02:06:19 AM »

Paterson is certainly living up to his reputation as a massive freedom fighter.

As for Okie, please worry about your own issues and stop trying to force your subjective view of morality on other people. Gay marriage isn't going to kill anyone or rape any babies.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 03:48:17 AM »

/moar wins
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 04:58:32 AM »

Funny, I consider giving people full legal recongition to be the moral thing to do.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 06:22:23 AM »

To be perfectly honest, what the bible says or does not say should have absolutely no relevance.

If you believe that God does not like gay marriage, then do not marry a gay, it's basically that simple.

I consider it extremely immoral and hateful to impose your religious beliefs on others.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 09:06:32 AM »

In another sickening move, Gov. David Paterson (D-NY) just announced within the last hour that the state of New York would now recognize gay marriages.

I must say that I am VERY disappointed and deeply saddened by this.  I support civil unions, but I do not and will never support or recognize a same-sex marriage.

This makes 3 states I could never live in (Massachusetts, California, and now New York).

What did same sex marriage ever do to you?

But please...stay in Oklahoma...better for everyone.

It just goes against everything I believe.

Um... what is that last statement supposed to mean?  To be honest, I take it as an insult.

And everything you believe goes against some of the basic principles of our country and freedom itself.

Stay in Oklahoma. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 10:24:24 AM »

Wow.  This is so much fun.  This is exactly the kind of response I desired.  I win.

I just don't see how kindly expressing my belief in the Bible to be shoving it down someone's throat.  Am I supposed to remain silent about the Bible?  Sorry, No Can Do.

Just because I am a Christian who believes so strongly in God's Word does not make me a bigot as some of you may be implying.  If you still consider me a bigot, WHO CARES!!!!!

And, no, I will not stay in Oklahoma.  I will be free to go anywhere my God takes me.
jesmo

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »

Who is this other fag friend you have, bushoklahoma?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »

Who is this other fag friend you have, bushoklahoma?

My network administrator from the Boston camp last year.  He will be in Atlanta with me for three weeks, then go back to Boston from there.  He is a student at Penn State.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 10:47:19 AM »

Just because I am a Christian who believes so strongly in God's Word does not make me a bigot as some of you may be implying.

No one has said that. We're calling you a bigot because you're twisting a gospel of love and acceptingness to rationalize your subconscious anti-gay hatred and then we when we call you on it you just plug your ears and go "LALALALA I LOVE JESUS AND JESUS HATED GAYS TOO".
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 10:58:47 AM »

Just because I am a Christian who believes so strongly in God's Word does not make me a bigot as some of you may be implying.

No one has said that. We're calling you a bigot because you're twisting a gospel of love and acceptingness to rationalize your subconscious anti-gay hatred and then we when we call you on it you just plug your ears and go "LALALALA I LOVE JESUS AND JESUS HATED GAYS TOO".

Ok... Point taken...

Let's put this another way, a more correct way.  I have friends who are gay men and I have known and worked with lesbian women.  I don't care for their lifestyle, but I accept them as men and women and as creations of the Almighty God.  It is my job and, more than that, my honor to love them just like I would my straight friends.  The only thing I cannot do, and have a good conscience about it, is condone their marriage should they want to.  I won't stop them, and I will still be their friend, but don't expect me to be in the wedding audience.  I do support civil unions, however (which took me a long time to get to that point).  I must say, that counting, I actually have three friends who are in the GLBT community.  The third friend is a guy from high school is actually a cross-dresser/transsexual now.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 11:16:01 AM »

It's funny how Baptists will pick apart little snippets of the Bible to justify discriminating against gays, but then ignore other snippets that say things like you must kill a man for working on the Sabbath or growing a beard, or condone selling your daughters into slavery.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »

Ok... Point taken...

Let's put this another way, a more correct way.  I have friends who are gay men and I have known and worked with lesbian women.  I don't care for their lifestyle, but I accept them as men and women and as creations of the Almighty God.  It is my job and, more than that, my honor to love them just like I would my straight friends.  The only thing I cannot do, and have a good conscience about it, is condone their marriage should they want to.  I won't stop them, and I will still be their friend, but don't expect me to be in the wedding audience.  I do support civil unions, however (which took me a long time to get to that point).  I must say, that counting, I actually have three friends who are in the GLBT community.  The third friend is a guy from high school is actually a cross-dresser/transsexual now.

that all sounds good, but then why would the legality of gay marriage in a state prevent you from moving there, as you said in a previous post?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008, 11:38:39 AM »

Ok... Point taken...

You're still ignoring the issue.  You're this offended over what you see as a mis-application of the word "marriage"?  Because if you support civil unions, that must be the only issue.  In effect, you support equal rights anyway, so what you're offended by is the government using a term you see as having theological connotations, the wrong way.

Is that really a big deal?  Your Church, and you, are not being forced to recognize the term "marriage."
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 11:58:57 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2008, 12:02:02 PM by Adam Griffin »

Why do Christians CapitaliZe so Many words That do Not need CapitaliZation?

Anywho, the function of the government is to provide for the people, in an unbiased fashion. F**k religious morals, f**k the Bible, and most importantly f**k Christianity; never has a religion brought so much death, devastation, war, and hate and yet somehow is supposed to pave the path to a perfect world. Secular morality is key in government in order to preserve human rights, point blank.

Empathy might be a good thing to have in this situation. If I said that Christians shouldn't be allowed to get married because all they are going to do is taint the image of "true" love and raise their children to be little ugly, bigot Christians, I'm sure that view would not be appreciated, nor would that opinion be shared by everyone. Sometimes we need to just keep our mouths shut when it comes to the feelings and rights of other individuals. If there is a god of any kind, I guarantee you that he's not human, therefore none of us should tell others what they cannot do when it does nothing to harm another person. Besides, the Christian faith clearly states what will happen to the world: it's gonna end. Seems like all the true Christians would want all of these "bad things" to go ahead and happen so that nobody else would have to suffer going through life as an imperfect mortal.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »

This thread's a hoot. Dodgy arguments *and* comically obvious hypocrisy!

Anywho, the function of the government is to provide for the people, in an unbiased fashion. F**k religious morals, f**k the Bible, and most importantly f**k Christianity;

Funny definition of "unbiased" there.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »

Anywho, the function of the government is to provide for the people, in an unbiased fashion. F**k religious morals, f**k the Bible, and most importantly f**k Christianity;

But I'm not in the government, am I? Therefore I'll say how I feel, but I don't expect the government to start burning Bibles or castrating Christians, nor would I want them to, if only for the simple fact that if it can happen to one group of people it can happen to everybody.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 01:35:14 PM »

Yea, the "intolerance" on this thread is interesting, not to mention highly amusing.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 04:11:24 PM »

Anywho, the function of the government is to provide for the people, in an unbiased fashion. F**k religious morals, f**k the Bible, and most importantly f**k Christianity; never has a religion brought so much death, devastation, war, and hate and yet somehow is supposed to pave the path to a perfect world. Secular morality is key in government in order to preserve human rights, point blank.

Empathy might be a good thing to have in this situation. If I said that Christians shouldn't be allowed to get married because all they are going to do is taint the image of "true" love and raise their children to be little ugly, bigot Christians, I'm sure that view would not be appreciated, nor would that opinion be shared by everyone. Sometimes we need to just keep our mouths shut when it comes to the feelings and rights of other individuals. If there is a god of any kind, I guarantee you that he's not human, therefore none of us should tell others what they cannot do when it does nothing to harm another person. Besides, the Christian faith clearly states what will happen to the world: it's gonna end. Seems like all the true Christians would want all of these "bad things" to go ahead and happen so that nobody else would have to suffer going through life as an imperfect mortal.

Yeah well f**k you, buddy!
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 04:39:07 PM »

Good for Governor Patterson.  It was the Christian thing to do.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »

Yeah well f**k you, buddy!

Even though I'm not a Christian, I agree with Flem.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2008, 04:49:46 PM »

My respect for Governor Patterson keeps on climbing, and climbing and climbing. It seems like he has the Midas touch, something surprising for a blind Governor. Sorry I had to say it. Magnificent news and onwards to victory in 2010!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »

Good for Governor Patterson.  It was the Christian thing to do.

Yes! Absolutely correct!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2008, 05:08:51 PM »

Ok... Point taken...

that all sounds good, but then why would the legality of gay marriage in a state prevent you from moving there, as you said in a previous post?

It wouldn't, I was being sarcastic with that statement.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »

Bush oklahoma I do not understand why you must impose your beliefs on others. Like you said you believe literally in the bible and thus cannot support gay marriage and that is fine. But if the government gives someone a marriage license, it does not mean you endorsed it. The only way you would commit the "sin" of gay marriage is by actually committing the act and it looks like the chances of that are low in your case. See I am a Hindu and we are supposed to not eat beef. But does that mean that I run around screaming at people eating cows that they are sinners and they are going to hell? No, I would not even do that in India. I do not impose my religious values(or lack off) on anyone and I wish you would not do that either.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2008, 05:55:18 PM »

In another sickening move, Gov. David Paterson (D-NY) just announced within the last hour that the state of New York would now recognize gay marriages.

I must say that I am VERY disappointed and deeply saddened by this.  I support civil unions, but I do not and will never support or recognize a same-sex marriage.

This makes 3 states I could never live in (Massachusetts, California, and now New York).

What did same sex marriage ever do to you?

But please...stay in Oklahoma...better for everyone.

It just goes against everything I believe.

Um... what is that last statement supposed to mean?  To be honest, I take it as an insult.

Well, if you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.  Wink

Seriously, how does someone else's marriage threaten yours?  You can still have your marriage in a church with your pastor. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies