The Treaty Paradox (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:59:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Treaty Paradox (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Constitutional

Unconstitutional

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: The Treaty Paradox  (Read 4648 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 30, 2008, 06:19:12 PM »

Since the ratification of a treaty requires the assent of one branch of Congress, I would argue that a treaty that contravenes Article I Section 9 cannot be constitutionally ratified in the first place.

The reasons for restricting the treaty ratification to the Senate, is that treaties are agreements between States, and the Senate represents the States of the United States thus making it the proper body to make agreements with States that are not part of the United States.  The President's treaty role is executive in that he conducts the negotiations on behalf of the Senate.

Even if one accept the view that a treaty can contravene Article I Section 9, it could only do so in the context of an agreement within the scope of a treaty.  Thus for example, the Senate might be able to ratify a treaty with the Kingdom of Kongo, that no national of that Kingdom could not be imported as property, but it could not make an agreement that would bar importation of all persons as property from everywhere unless it made a treaty with every single sovereign realm.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies