Younger Evangelicals Distancing Themselves from the Religious Right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:55:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Younger Evangelicals Distancing Themselves from the Religious Right
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Younger Evangelicals Distancing Themselves from the Religious Right  (Read 3022 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:57:36 PM »

Young Evangelicals Take Their Faith, but Not Their Politics, to the People

By NEELA BANERJEE
Published: June 1, 2008

ST. LOUIS — Southern Baptists, as a rule, do not drink. But once a month, young congregants of the Journey, a Baptist church here, and their friends get together in the back room of a sprawling brew pub called the Schlafly Bottleworks to talk about the big questions: President Bush, faith and war, the meaning of life, and “what’s wrong with religion.”

“We go where people are because we feel like Jesus went to the people,” said the Rev. Darrin Patrick, founder of the Journey.

“That’s where people are having their conversations about things that matter,” the Rev. Darrin Patrick, senior pastor and founder of the Journey, said about the talks in the bar. “We go where people are because we feel like Jesus went to the people.”

The Journey, a megachurch of mostly younger evangelicals, is representative of a new generation that refuses to put politics at the center of its faith and rejects identification with the religious right.

They say they are tired of the culture wars. They say they do not want the test of their faith to be the fight against gay rights. They say they want to broaden the traditional evangelical anti-abortion agenda to include care for the poor, the environment, immigrants and people with H.I.V., according to experts on younger evangelicals and the young people themselves.

“Evangelicalism is becoming somewhat less coherent as a movement or as an identity,” said Christian Smith, a sociology professor at the University of Notre Dame. “Younger people don’t even want the label anymore. They don’t believe the main goal of the church is to be political.”

About 17 percent of the nation’s 55 million adult evangelicals are between the ages of 18 and 29, and many are troubled by the methods of the religious right and its close ties to the Republican Party.

In a January 2007 survey of 1,000 young people for the book “Unchristian,” one of its authors, David Kinnaman, president of the Barna Group, which studies Christian trends, found that 47 percent of born-again Christians ages 40 and under believed that “the political efforts of conservative Christians” posed a problem for America.

None of that means younger evangelicals have abandoned the core tenets of their faith, including a belief in the physical resurrection of Jesus and the literal truth of the Bible. They think abortion and homosexuality are sins.

And so far, there is no clear evidence that supporting a broader social agenda has led young evangelicals to defect from the Republican Party in great numbers, as many liberals have predicted.

But shifts in thinking among younger evangelicals may lead to an easing of the polarization that has defined the country’s recent political landscape, many of them said.

“The easy thing is to fight, but the hard thing is to put your gloves down and work together towards a common cause,” said the Rev. Scott Thomas, director of the Acts 29 Network, which helps pastors start churches. “Our generation would like to put our gloves down. We don’t want to be out there picketing. We want to be out there serving.”
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:12:30 PM »

Maybe there is yet hope for our future.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:41:45 AM »

Hallelujah.

So to speak.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:51:15 AM »

I know quite a bit of people who fit this description.  Probably over half of my friends.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:11:45 AM »

I know quite a bit of people who fit this description.  Probably over half of my friends.

http://www.tonycampolo.org/

http://www.brianmclaren.net/

http://www.esa-online.org/Display.asp?Page=home

http://www.sojo.net/  (not exclusive Evangelical, but heavy with Evangelical membership)

Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »

I wonder if we'll see a new religious left movement.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 04:35:58 PM »

I wonder if we'll see a new religious left movement.

I prefer a religious center movement Smiley
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »

This is an excellent development. I earnestly hope that my generation begets a more reasonable movement among Christians that lies not largely within any particular ideology or party, but with the pragmatic stances and tenets central to Jesus's message of love and peace. And as such perhaps that hateful, monolithic and close-minded force known as the religious right loses all credibility.

I'm not holding my breath, though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quite right. The first imperative of Jesus was to protect one's house plants, and just so few get it! Smiley
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 12:31:43 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quite right. The first imperative of Jesus was to protect one's house plants, and just so few get it! Smiley

That's right. House plants are people too.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 12:49:17 AM »

Don't be lulled into complacency.  These people are still crazy and dangerous.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 12:06:32 AM »

Religious center at first perhaps but then slowly slipping to religious left. Democrats are becoming more centrist and friendly to business so them ending up a center-right party is plausible. The natural opposition coalition would be a center-left Republican party focused on moderate to liberal evangelicals or catholics.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies