Gay Marriage Ammendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:33:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gay Marriage Ammendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Should an ammendment be passed by the state congresses to make it where only one man and one woman can be united in marriage?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Gay Marriage Ammendment  (Read 12269 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2008, 01:07:04 AM »

It amazes me how the forum votes compared to the dozens of states that have passed these sorts of amendments.

None of them have, because Congress never has.

You don't know what you are talking about.

Yes, I do.

Then explain.

I think Xahar was alluding to the fact this (forum) poll was in reference to a (federal) constitutional amendment, whereas the state referenda have banned gay marriage only for that state. A higher (but still small) percentage of this forum would vote to ban gay marriage in their own state.

In either case, I would agree that this forum is substantially more pro-gay marriage than the nation.

I would of course vote no.

My point exactly.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »

Federal constitutional amendment? No
Banning it on a state level? Yes

Not a very libertarian position there.
Sure it is, I want the state government to exercise its power, not the federal government.  You can argue that perhaps limiting marriage is not libertarian, but the idea of libertarianism is to stop the flow of government, not to lead the country into anarchy.  Sometimes government is necessary, but in a very limited and not federal form.  To have a personal opinion is quite different then forcing it down the entire countries throat.

More federalist than libertarian...
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2008, 07:23:44 PM »

Sure it is, I want the state government to exercise its power, not the federal government.  You can argue that perhaps limiting marriage is not libertarian, but the idea of libertarianism is to stop the flow of government, not to lead the country into anarchy.  Sometimes government is necessary, but in a very limited and not federal form.  To have a personal opinion is quite different then forcing it down the entire countries throat.

The government should have nothing to do with marriage. They shouldn't be licensing or banning it.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2008, 07:16:35 AM »

The government should have nothing to do with marriage. They shouldn't be licensing or banning it.
Do you say the government should have nothing to do with civil unions either?  That is kind of out there, we need something to say people are together so they can have joint bank accounts, etc.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »

Do you say the government should have nothing to do with civil unions either?  That is kind of out there, we need something to say people are together so they can have joint bank accounts, etc.

Given the contentious use of the word "marriage," some people think that the government should be involved only in civil unions--leaving marriage to the religious domain. I assume that is what is meant here.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2008, 10:04:09 AM »

Absolutely not.

If the argument about "religious significance" of marriage is key - then I think separation of Church and State trumps it. You cannot have a separation, while also having an amendment to protect a religious rite. The Churches are not compelled to do anything.

Further, I'm a purist when it comes to constitutional law. Marriage and other issue specific matters - unless it relates directly to heads of power and authority or specific or implied rights, it has no place in a consitution.

The whole idea makes a mockery of the constitution. You use the consitution to outright ban something because it makes the screeching Mob uncomfortable?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2008, 01:39:42 PM »

I think that marriage is a unique combination of a religious institution and a private contract. There should be no licenses for marriage.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies