Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:12:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 837050 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: January 27, 2009, 04:18:26 AM »

Did Toby Nixon endorse Kempf? My opinion of him would drop rather significantly if so.

He kind of double-endorsed Kempf and Irons, I think.

I don't really know much about the Kempf story.  I didn't read into that much micro-drama.  I just know that she was arrested for lying about late absentees, claimed she never did, and the arrest was eventually kind of dismissed as an overreaction.

I wish there was some kind of King County 2004: The Novel online to fill me in on what I ignored at the time

But I don't see why a Democrat (which she obviously is), or a non-partisan, would vote for her over Huff or Irons
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #701 on: January 28, 2009, 11:06:57 PM »

Turnout is going to be <30% at this rate...
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #702 on: February 01, 2009, 02:09:58 AM »

I was just toying around with the elections archives on Sam Reed's website and noticed something odd. Chris Hurst (D), the current member from the 31st District, Position 2, was elected to the Legislature in 2006. Prior to that he had been elected to the Legislature in 1998 and 2000, each time receiving about 55% of the vote. He also narrowly lost a race in 1996 to the man he beat in 1998.

Then in 2002, Jan Shabro (R) (past County Councilmember and current County Auditor) ran for his seat. She was unopposed in both the primary and the general.

So not only did Shabro win an open seat without any challengers, the Republicans picked-up an open seat without any Democratic challengers. Does anybody remember anything about the circumstances here? It just seems so incredibly bizarre.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #703 on: February 01, 2009, 02:17:25 AM »

I was just toying around with the elections archives on Sam Reed's website and noticed something odd. Chris Hurst (D), the current member from the 31st District, Position 2, was elected to the Legislature in 2006. Prior to that he had been elected to the Legislature in 1998 and 2000, each time receiving about 55% of the vote. He also narrowly lost a race in 1996 to the man he beat in 1998.

Then in 2002, Jan Shabro (R) (past County Councilmember and current County Auditor) ran for his seat. She was unopposed in both the primary and the general.

So not only did Shabro win an open seat without any challengers, the Republicans picked-up an open seat without any Democratic challengers. Does anybody remember anything about the circumstances here? It just seems so incredibly bizarre.

Shabro pulled out at the last moment and the Democrats couldn't find a viable replacement.  I don't think there was much of a story behind it, but I don't remember why Hurst pulled out.  I'm not sure we ever found out the real reason.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #704 on: February 01, 2009, 03:51:31 AM »

News Tribune, October 2002:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So we just sucked really hard. How pathetic.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #705 on: February 01, 2009, 04:05:38 AM »

yeah, I meant Hurst and not Shabro Tongue

I think there was probably an interesting internal struggle going on there.  It's very rare that an open seat just comes up 100% empty like that.

Could Shabro have been that much of a shoo-in?  Weird district back around '96
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #706 on: February 01, 2009, 04:09:26 AM »

Eh, you could be right. My understanding of the Pierce County Democratic Party at that time though is that it probably wasn't big enough for internal struggles... it was pretty terrible. I really wouldn't be surprised if we couldn't find someone willing to cough up the $400 filing fee.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #707 on: February 01, 2009, 04:17:12 AM »

Eh, you could be right. My understanding of the Pierce County Democratic Party at that time though is that it probably wasn't big enough for internal struggles... it was pretty terrible. I really wouldn't be surprised if we couldn't find someone willing to cough up the $400 filing fee.

Except I think it was a more King County district back then.  Hurst has since moved from Black Diamond to Greenwater.  I don't know, though, maybe it was even intra-county problems.  I think they tended to avoid doing things at the LD level back then?

Way before my time Tongue
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #708 on: February 01, 2009, 04:25:17 AM »

It's the same boundaries it has right now - were you just referring to the power base being more in King County?

The other weird thing is that the Tribune always went to Berendt for quotes in other articles about the race - never Jean Brooks (who was Pierce County Chair at the time) nor whomever was running the KC Dems at the time. Not only is it weird that the Tribune would think to go to the state party chair for a quote (they'd always go to Lawver these days), but stranger is that the State Party actually cared about a State Legislative race. These days they basically pretend as if they don't exist. Maybe it was a bigger priority back then because of the closeness of the balance of power.

But way before my time as well. Lots of different ways to speculate.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #709 on: February 02, 2009, 04:38:57 PM »

It's official: Sims is leaving.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #710 on: February 02, 2009, 06:18:55 PM »

I was getting kind of tired of Sims, to be honest.

He's still 10x better than any Repuke, though.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #711 on: February 03, 2009, 08:11:54 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2009, 08:16:23 PM by Alcon »

Turnout was 17.0% as of yesterday.  At this rate, breaking 30% is a 50/50 proposition at best, and 33% would probably require a small miracle.  That's kind of pathetic turnout for a recognizable race.

Results in about five hours.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #712 on: February 03, 2009, 11:13:40 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2009, 11:18:34 PM by Alcon »

15.5% turnout so far.  Even with institutional support, Irons is sucking.

Huff 44%
Assorted crazies 20%
Irons 19%
Roach 17%

Yeah, Huff wins.

In other riveting news, Fall City will probably have a parks district (59.3%), and the Enumclaw school levy is a nailbiter (51.6%).
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #713 on: February 03, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »

Sanity prevails. Turnout was pathetically terrible though.

Fall City will probably have a parks district (59.3%)

Definitely the highlight of my evening.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #714 on: February 03, 2009, 11:43:50 PM »

This is easily the most interesting thing to happen this evening:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #715 on: February 04, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »

No dice: http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/politics/2009/02/04/smith_isn_t_getting_obama_job_so_the_gam
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #716 on: February 06, 2009, 05:36:38 AM »

Turnout up to a wonderful 22%. I never would've thought it could go this low with Vote-by-Mail. Anyways, I think the initial abstract is going to be posted on Friday.

There's a bill being heard in the House State Government Committee tomorrow that requires ballots to be received by 8 PM on Election Day. I suspect it's going to pass.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #717 on: February 06, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »

Apparently I complained enough back in November that they're putting up an unofficial abstract Tongue Neat.  And the final is only two days after certification.

There's a bill being heard in the House State Government Committee tomorrow that requires ballots to be received by 8 PM on Election Day. I suspect it's going to pass.

Bleh, why?  I know Oregon has that law, but I don't mind stragglers.  They never determine elections really, and I'd prefer if any ballot competently submitted before polling closes were counted.

[Shrug]
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #718 on: February 07, 2009, 12:39:58 AM »

I take that back about the absentee ballot bill - the County Auditor's Association came out against it today. Basically it's just Sam Reed and a few House Democrats in favor.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #719 on: February 07, 2009, 12:55:13 AM »

The King County abstract will actually be an LD/CD breakdown, and was apparently not released today anyway.  right.

I take that back about the absentee ballot bill - the County Auditor's Association came out against it today. Basically it's just Sam Reed and a few House Democrats in favor.

On what grounds?  Speedy count?  Whatever.  I mean, if anyone should support the bill, it should be someone like me.  I like quick returns.  But I'd much rather not nitpick voters into being disenfranchised.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #720 on: February 07, 2009, 01:09:59 AM »

Yea, they basically just want to be able to count quicker. It would be nice but I don't particularly see a reason why it's necessary (especially when the trade-off is limiting even slightly the amount of people involved in the process).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #721 on: February 07, 2009, 01:13:31 AM »

Yea, they basically just want to be able to count quicker. It would be nice but I don't particularly see a reason why it's necessary (especially when the trade-off is limiting even slightly the amount of people involved in the process).

Would I be a total prick if I pointed out that a lot of the affected ballots (percentage-wise) would be military, and proportionately more Republican in general?

I'm sure that's not the only thing going on, but the Democrats should drop dumb crap like this.  It's bad for p.r.

I do like how the parties alternate between obsession with enfranchisement and electoral integrity, depending on whatever Tongue
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #722 on: February 07, 2009, 01:16:53 AM »

Would I be a total prick if I pointed out that a lot of the affected ballots (percentage-wise) would be military, and proportionately more Republican in general?

I'm sure that's not the only thing going on, but the Democrats should drop dumb crap like this.  It's bad for p.r.

Well Sam Reed was the one who originally proposed it, so I think the Democrats have a pretty good counter if they're accused of something like that.

They also warmly received the Internet voting bill today, something which would bring more military voters than before. Only Osgood and his crowd opposed that.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #723 on: February 07, 2009, 01:27:02 AM »

15.5% turnout so far.  Even with institutional support, Irons is sucking.

Huff 44%
Assorted crazies 20%
Irons 19%
Roach 17%

Yeah, Huff wins.

In other riveting news, Fall City will probably have a parks district (59.3%), and the Enumclaw school levy is a nailbiter (51.6%).

Shouldn't Roach go under assorted crazies?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #724 on: February 11, 2009, 04:28:40 AM »

I learned today that there's a State Representative from East Wenatchee who is a fervent Ron Paul supporter.

A little frightening that those types actually hold public office...
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies