Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:25:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 836950 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: February 19, 2009, 08:17:53 AM »

The replacement for Bill Grant (D-Walla Walla) will be chosen tomorrow. The top candidate appears to be failed Congressional candidate George Fearing (D-Pasco). If his 2008 performance is any indication then we're screwed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #751 on: February 19, 2009, 11:15:37 PM »

Technically this should go in 2010 Elections or Congressional Elections, but unless either Reichert or McKenna declares for the senate race, which is extremely unlikely, I think it is just of interest to us.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/seattlepolitics/archives/162351.asp?source=rss
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #752 on: February 19, 2009, 11:24:15 PM »

I thought McKenna would be posting better numbers than he is (not against Murray but his favorable/unfavorables).
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #753 on: February 20, 2009, 12:02:34 AM »

^ I dunno, that poll seems a lil screwy. 1 in 5 of Republicans have an unfavorable opinion of McKenna? Uh huh.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #754 on: February 20, 2009, 03:00:12 AM »

New state revenue projections have come out... they are not pretty. It is looking like an $8 billion deficit. Can you say massive state-level layoffs?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #755 on: February 20, 2009, 03:51:13 AM »

We really need to switch to an income tax.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #756 on: February 20, 2009, 09:19:49 AM »

The thread title remains appropriate.

The problem nowadays is that any new tax increase is going to have to be approved by the voters. If the Legislature sends it to the people and they vote it down then we need to call in a special session and make even deeper cuts.

It's just a messed up situation. Thanks Tim!
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #757 on: February 20, 2009, 04:28:10 PM »

The problem nowadays is that any new tax increase is going to have to be approved by the voters. If the Legislature sends it to the people and they vote it down then we need to call in a special session and make even deeper cuts.

I thought that initiative failed... Or at least was stuck down by the courts right?
You are talking about I-960, right?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #758 on: February 20, 2009, 06:38:32 PM »

I thought that initiative failed... Or at least was stuck down by the courts right?
You are talking about I-960, right?

It passed narrowly in 2007. I know there was a court challenge from the Senate Democrats but I don't think it actually got overturned.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #759 on: February 20, 2009, 07:19:35 PM »

Gregoire has registered with the PDC to run again in 2012. Doesn't necessarily mean she will, but it's rather curious that she has.

Those two loud popping sounds you heard were Jay Inslee and Rob McKenna's heads exploding.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #760 on: February 21, 2009, 12:25:32 AM »

They appointed Grant's daughter, Laura Grant-Herriot (D-Walla Walla), to fill his seat. On the one hand her connection to her father might help her get retained. On the other hand the nepotism could be easy to attack. It'll be interesting to watch.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #761 on: February 21, 2009, 02:35:06 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2009, 03:14:00 AM by Alcon »

They appointed Grant's daughter, Laura Grant-Herriot (D-Walla Walla), to fill his seat. On the one hand her connection to her father might help her get retained. On the other hand the nepotism could be easy to attack. It'll be interesting to watch.

I think that was the right choice for the Democrats.  Bill Grant didn't keep winning because he was a Democrat.  And who is the Bill Grantiest pick?!

Plus, running negative on the LD level -- especially against the daughter of the recently deceased -- is a risky thing.  The GOP might not even have to bother to win this seat, though.  Hell, "Dayton attorney" (there's a high-octane job) might be enough.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #762 on: February 21, 2009, 10:03:38 PM »

Senate Majority Leader Lisa Brown's Facebook status yesterday:

We're officially launching policy initiatives through Facebook status updates. God help us.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #763 on: February 21, 2009, 10:43:50 PM »

Do they like being added by random constituents?

They actually get inappropriately happy when they receive friend requests in my experience.

Can I write on their wall "yo Jeannie, vote no on HB-7612 and we'll totally be BFF"?

That's actually the best way to contact them, IMO. Direct access. And they actually do listen when people tell them stuff. They're normal people (mostly).

Is acceptable to tag them for "Smack My Bitch Up" in that stupid 'songs and people' Notes fad thing?

Only if it's Dennis Flannigan.

totally unrelated:  I received my Tacoma School Bonds vote ballot today.  I assume I support it, but honestly I have no idea what the hell is going on...if you've heard anything that isn't obviously apparent.

The Voters' Pamphlet "Statement Against" was written by Will Baker. You make the call.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #764 on: February 21, 2009, 11:13:49 PM »

I've met Dennis Flannigan like four times, and I'm 85% sure he's completely awesome (and/or crazy.)

When he showed up to vote at the polls when I was working, he said we looked overworked and asked me if I would like a muffin.  I said, yeah, I could use a muffin.  He replied, "I bet you would."  Then he went to vote, and immediately left.

I'm not sure whether he was messing with me or just forgot.  Either way, awesome.  (And his ballot statements are always good.)

He had no intention of ever giving you a muffin. His humor is always intentional.

Basically, the big objection I hear is, "no one has the money right now."  Isn't construction cheaper right now, though?  Seems like a good time to pass a construction bond...but the wording is unclear on how long it will take effect.

Yes, and that's a big reason why there's four districts doing it in March. Construction companies are desperate for business and will give lower bids right now. We're going to have to do this construction eventually so why not do it when it's cheaper?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #765 on: February 22, 2009, 02:55:38 AM »

Grant's daughter was one of the better picks for the seat. She might have a 15% or so chance of winning re-election---far better than the 1% chance any of the others had.

As for Gregoire in 2012... First, why would McKenna's head pop? If I were McKenna I would much rather run against Gregoire than someone like Sonntag. I think she we would be a weak candidate if she were going for a third term. I hope she doesn't.

So, all tax increases have to be approved by voters now, huh? Maybe I'm totally off here, but isn't this actually bad for Republicans? It just doesn't give them much to run on. "Democrats voted to raise your taxes...and YOU approved it!" just doesn't sound so great. Remember the gas tax increase? Yeah. I think this is the ideal system for a lot of independents and swing voters in Washington... They prefer Democrats but like them some Republican fiscal policies. They can feel safe knowing they can have Democrats in power who cannot raise taxes without their consent.

I suppose we'll find out in November 2010, won't we?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #766 on: February 22, 2009, 05:42:53 PM »

Grant's daughter was one of the better picks for the seat. She might have a 15% or so chance of winning re-election---far better than the 1% chance any of the others had.

As for Gregoire in 2012... First, why would McKenna's head pop? If I were McKenna I would much rather run against Gregoire than someone like Sonntag. I think she we would be a weak candidate if she were going for a third term. I hope she doesn't.

So, all tax increases have to be approved by voters now, huh? Maybe I'm totally off here, but isn't this actually bad for Republicans? It just doesn't give them much to run on. "Democrats voted to raise your taxes...and YOU approved it!" just doesn't sound so great. Remember the gas tax increase? Yeah. I think this is the ideal system for a lot of independents and swing voters in Washington... They prefer Democrats but like them some Republican fiscal policies. They can feel safe knowing they can have Democrats in power who cannot raise taxes without their consent.

I suppose we'll find out in November 2010, won't we?

I don't think the average voter will think that through.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #767 on: February 22, 2009, 08:25:18 PM »

The problem is if the voters don't approve the tax increases this November.

Democrats voted to raise your taxes and you rejected it. They're out of touch and LIBURAL.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #768 on: February 23, 2009, 03:19:20 PM »

The marijuana decriminalization bill has become a small circus, because old white guys don't really know much about pot other than that it is frowned upon.

http://effinunsound.com/?p=1027

Not only does Jim Hargrove know nothing about marijuana, he's also for renewing prohibition.  Yes, for alcohol.  Since when is Jim Hargrove an idiot, or is this an isolated incidence?

Other exciting arguments:

Mike Carrell (R-Lakewood): Basically, "I've never been there, but I hear Amsterdam is a craphole."

Pam Roach (R-Auburn): Verbatim, "it is really a lot easier for parents when they can say ‘this is illegal.'" Note your own irony.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #769 on: February 24, 2009, 02:24:31 AM »

Jim Hargrove has a long and illustrious history of idiocy. He's basically our Ben Nelson/Mark Pryor.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #770 on: February 24, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »

Looks like Locke will be the new Secretary of Commerce:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29355278/
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #771 on: February 25, 2009, 02:24:23 AM »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008782111_webnoble24m.html

oops
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #772 on: February 25, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »

Elections director maps tonight out of boredom/senioritis
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #773 on: February 26, 2009, 02:26:50 AM »

Best HA post... ever:

http://horsesass.org/?p=13147
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #774 on: February 26, 2009, 03:18:01 AM »

That was teetering on the edge of the most awesome thing ever, until I noticed that the event's primary sponsor is the Stranger.  That pushed it over the edge.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies