Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:21:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 851318 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 26, 2010, 07:45:13 AM »

Silenced Majority Portal. Like the New York Times, but better.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:00:55 PM »

I suspect it will. There's no organized opposition beyond a few medical marijuana activists who claim that the proposal includes too much regulation (and they've raised virtually no money).

I guess the religiouses are focusing all their energy against the marriage amendment. Apparently gays are a bigger threat than drugs these days. Who knew.

Pat Robertson knew!

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/03/pat-robertson-legalize-marijuana-and-treat-it-like-alcohol-/1#.UJRCJGl26gM

There's no solid religious foundation to oppose marijuana, and rather than manufacture one, they're actually doing the right thing here. Bizarre, no?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:11:51 PM »

So I think 3 states use this dumb nonpartisan blanket primary, CA, LA, and WA.

I'm glad that AZ soundly defeated it and maybe (hopefully) CA and WA will eliminate this dumb system as soon as possible.

Calling something "dumb" twice doesn't necessarily make it true. It's not dumb, just non-traditional -- the two are not the same thing. Some of us in California liked having an interesting general election race instead of a 70%D/30%R slaughter.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »

The only thing that would be separate is the term used to describe it.  For me, it's a languge issues, not a civil rights issue.  And besides, all laws "discriminate" against somebody.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. In New Jersey, a state that has civil unions, a number of companies and insurers are playing "language" games, refusing to offer benefits to gay partners because they're not married -- merely civilly united. They're not supposed to discriminate that way, but the fact that there's no federal law means it's in businesses' best interest to try and see if they can get away with it.

Separate but equal has literally always failed the "equal" test.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies