Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:20:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 849118 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« on: October 08, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »
« edited: October 08, 2010, 08:19:37 PM by Mr. Fuzzleton »

This is big.

The Seattle Times endorsed Rossi twice during his bids for governor, but they endorsed his opponent this time.

See:
 http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/editorials/2013112273_edit10murray.html?prmid=op_ed

Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:52:57 PM »

This is big.

The Seattle Times endorsed Rossi twice during his bids for governor, but they endorsed his opponent this time.

See:
 http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/editorials/2013112273_edit10murray.html?prmid=op_ed

They also endorsed Susan Hutchison. As far as their endorsements go, they don't seem to have a good track record of getting people elected.

Yes, but it's still important since they actually like Rossi, but they still endorsed Murray.  I just thought I might as well through it out there.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:00:06 PM »

It's more symbolic than anything else.

"On too many domestic and foreign policy matters, Rossi has not distinguished himself sufficiently from the Republican Party line. He has missed numerous opportunities to establish himself as a Northwest brand of Republican."

"On almost every topic, Murray is studied and has an answer. On the issue of net neutrality, which involves unfettered access to the Internet, Rossi did not have a clue, even though this issue is pressing within the tech industry."

Exactly what I meant to say.  Thank you Smiley
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »

I've been calculating the I-1053 results (2/3 congressional majority to raise taxes) by city/town, and so far I've only counted a handful of them (besides Seattle) which have rejected it:

Bellingham (Whatcom County): 53% no, 47% yes

Port Townsend (Jefferson County):  59.9% no, 40.1% yes

Olympia (Thurston County): 58.5% no, 41.5% yes

I still have to count the towns in San Juan County, which was the only county to reject I-1053. 

I still have to get the results from Bainbridge (Kitsap County) and Vanshon (King County) which often give Democrats 70% or 80% of the vote.

Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:28:41 PM »

Bainbridge Island voted 56% No on I-1053.  (52% Yes on I-1098, too.  Considering what comparably wealthy Seattle suburbs thought of income tax, I think we can basically say Bainbridge votes as part of Seattle now.)

Vashon isn't a city, it's unincorporated...I can get their results tomorrow.

The only incorporated place in San Juan County is Friday Harbor, which is more conservative than the county as a whole.  Friday Harbor voted 54% Yes on I-1053.  It failed the county because it lost soundly on Lopez Island.

I imagine a few other random highly liberal towns (at least a few of Langley, Index, Nespelem, Winthrop, Olympia, Lake Forest Park) also voted No on 1053.

I got Olympia already.  Wink
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:42:12 PM »

Merry Christmas from the Washington Thread.

LOL  Sam Reed
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 03:16:13 AM »

I meant to say this earlier, but....

WIIIIIIIIIINNNNN!!!!!   Grin Grin Grin Grin
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 02:14:21 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2010, 02:15:57 PM by Mr. Fuzzleton »

I meant to say this earlier, but....

WIIIIIIIIIINNNNN!!!!!   Grin Grin Grin Grin

You don't know that the new district will be safely Democratic though. It could be a swing district, or could take in parts of WA-3 and WA-4.

Well we still have a Democratic State Legislature.  And anyways, we get one more electoral vote!  Cheesy

Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »

After looking at election results in Spokane, I've come to two conclusions: Spokane is more Democratic than most people think, there's just too many rural areas inside of the county that inflate Republican margins. My other conclusion is that it would be a great bellwether country for the nation if the rural areas could be cut out. It has a good mix of old working class neighborhoods, old lower and upper middle class neighborhoods and new suburban developments that reflect US politics.

Oh and Chris Marr was really, really doomed in 2010.

Did Murray loose Spokane this time around?  I wouldn't be surprised if she did.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 10:24:19 AM »

He made a reference to rural Whatcom County as being the banjo belt.  About 10 minutes later, another representative showed up, and complained about the insult to his constituents.  I think it was Rep.Overstreet.  I thought at first it was a joke, that he acting upset.  But it was apparent that he was demanding an apology for all the musically-inclined hillbillies of Whatcom County.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:55:09 PM »

The state legislature has finally adjourned for the year.

OUR LIBERTIES ARE SAFE ONCE AGAIN.
At least the state government can do no more damage to our healthcare system or worker's rights while chasing the bipartisanship unicorn down a rainbow.

Welcome to the forum.  Smiley
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 03:13:07 PM »

I forgot to check Whatcom County's primary elections. Did the Democrats fail to make the general for county exeuctive? Epic fail for a lean D county. Like, pathetic, really.

Sad  Indeed.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »

What do you think will happen in the Mayoral race, Fuzzy? I see Pike and Linville basically tied, with Pike winning by a fraction of a percent. I can't really imagine conservative voters shifting to Pike, so I'm inclined to think Linville will win the general.

I see something like that too.  Kelli has support from a lot of the small businesses here, so I think that will probably put here a bit over the top here.  I'm backing Pike though, since he signed that deal for Chuckanut mountain and since he strongly opposes the coal initiative, or so I've heard.  But Kelli seems alright too, so it wouldn't be the end of the world (or the waterfront) if she won.  Wink

I've had two people from Vermont liken Bellingham to Burlington. Perhaps this is what their Progressive vs. Democrat elections are like? Grin

Probably.  Grin
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 10:53:23 PM »

Cheesy
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 03:56:13 PM »

I actually asked her if she supported gay marriage when I met her in D.C., but she just said it was a "state's right" and moved on.  Tongue  lol
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 01:57:55 PM »

I didn't feel anything either.  lol
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 02:02:08 PM by Senator Fuzzleton »

We should have a convention for Washington posters in real life.  That would be awesome!  Cheesy
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »

We should have a convention for Washington posters in real life.  That would be awesome!  Cheesy

We would probably get in an argument right away about Tim Eyeman or something and then devolve into chaos.

Sad
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 11:00:56 PM »

Oh, you guys.  Wink
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 11:18:44 PM »

Just wondering, why the hell don't we have anyone to counteract Tim Eyman up here? 
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 01:04:01 AM »

I just removed my prediction since it was so embarrassing.  lol
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 04:03:04 AM »

Doug Ericksen lost the race for Whatcom County Executive. Hah hah! Looks likes the ultra-liberal areas of Bellingham united with right-wing Lynden to elect Jack Louws.

Guilty as charged!  Grin  I'm not surprised, everyone down here hates Erickson. 
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2011, 01:24:34 AM by Fuzzy »

Linville might actually win.  Wow!  

The Sheriff's race down here was somewhat painful, yet entertaining to watch at the same time.  Basically the incumbant's opposition group had a facebook page where they would cut-and-paste pictures of Bill Elfo's head into silly pictures, than go on a rant about how he's some kind of "fachizt, fear mongering pig!!1!1" or something.  Tongue   lololol  It's scary to think people are dumb enough to do that kind of crap. 
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 01:17:25 AM »

Anyways, here's the mayoral race for Bellingham by precinct/voting district.  Green is for Pike, red is for Linville, and yellow means it's tied. 

BTW this race is still too close to call. 
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 09:31:40 PM »

Here's a easy-to-use precinct map for Spokane that I made from Dave's redistricting app, in case anyone wants to use it.  Smiley  I'm going to work on the mayoral map after all the votes are counted fyi.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies