Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:36:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 849506 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: February 10, 2012, 08:03:13 AM »

Maureen Walsh could have spent four minutes up there talking about believing in the goodness and love in herself.  Instead, she spent it talking about the goodness and love in everyone, and at the core of the human experience.  I'm sending her a check once I have money in the bank.

To me, it's probably one of the most influential speeches ever given on gay marriage by a legislator (and I do mean that) because of it's simplicity. Those who oppose gay marriage could at a time before there was gay marriage use any appeal to oppose it. As more gay marriages take place and there are no effects on anyone except a positive effect on gays who get married opposition is much more difficult.

Eventually you are left with people who oppose it out of nothing but spite. To them gay marriage is about everything but gays; it's about 'religion' and 'freedom' and the 'family' and 'tradition' and 'don't know know what gays actually do?'

Mrs Walsh essentially speared that argument very simply. As every married person will know marriage isn't all about sex, it's about much more than that. If you deny the 'much more than that' because of prudish views on sex then you actually demean what a marriage is about. To then deny the benefits of marriage to a group of people for reasons completely unrelated to those benefits is nothing more than spite.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »

I might get to pot later, but by sanctioning "gay marriage" you are violating the religious beliefs of those who do not recognize that as a marriage.

Is recognising divorce in law violating the religious beliefs of those who don't recognise divorce? Or does having divorce allow people to get one having no impact on those who don't believe in it?

Is recognising the second (or third or fourth or fifth...) marriage of divorcees violating the religious beliefs of those who don't recognise the rights of divorcees to marry, like the Catholic Church? Or does having this right to re-marry allow people to have one recognised by the state, have one in their church if their church sanctions them or not have them if their church does not sanction them?

Surely recognising same sex marriage allows those who want them to get them from the state, to get them from their church if their church sanctions them (and many do) or to not get them if their church does not sanction them?

Why do you oppose the rights of churches to marry same sex couples if they wish?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies