Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:11:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 851429 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: November 03, 2012, 03:28:59 AM »

(Presumably) final SurveyUSA poll shows:

Inslee: 47%
McKenna: 46%

Obama: 54%
Romney: 40%

Marriage equality - Approve: 52%
Marriage equality - Reject: 43%

Marijuana legalization - Yes: 56%
Marijuana legalization - No: 37%

Wow. For some reason, I'm surprised that marijuana is running pretty far ahead of gay marriage. I think (and certainly hope) that both pass. What is most surprising to me is how strong marijuana legalization is polling, to the point that it looks like a near lock to win.

For those in Washington, do you think the divergence between the two initiatives has to do with Eastern Washington (with it being pro-marijuana and anti-gay marriage)? I would think the marriage equality referendum will get destroyed in the East, while they take a more libertarian view on marijuana. Is that an accurate assumption?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 04:55:58 AM »

(Presumably) final SurveyUSA poll shows:

Inslee: 47%
McKenna: 46%

Obama: 54%
Romney: 40%

Marriage equality - Approve: 52%
Marriage equality - Reject: 43%

Marijuana legalization - Yes: 56%
Marijuana legalization - No: 37%

Wow. For some reason, I'm surprised that marijuana is running pretty far ahead of gay marriage. I think (and certainly hope) that both pass. What is most surprising to me is how strong marijuana legalization is polling, to the point that it looks like a near lock to win.

For those in Washington, do you think the divergence between the two initiatives has to do with Eastern Washington (with it being pro-marijuana and anti-gay marriage)? I would think the marriage equality referendum will get destroyed in the East, while they take a more libertarian view on marijuana. Is that an accurate assumption?

There may be some truth to that.  The recent UW poll had marijuana legalization failing in Eastern Washington by a fairly narrow margin 45/49.  Same sex marriage was losing by a more decisive 43/52.

That's what I thought. I probably really should have said less anti-marijuana, as I doubt either will actually pass in Eastern Washington. I did see the map on medical marijuana, but it seems very unlikely that outright legalization will run that strong. Both initiatives do look strong, especially with both outperforming the President's margin in the PPP poll. I'm almost in a state of disbelief that a state may actually legalize marijuana.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies