Which metro areas will Obama carry the suburbs of? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:32:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Which metro areas will Obama carry the suburbs of? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which metro areas will Obama carry the suburbs of?  (Read 28338 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: June 05, 2008, 06:25:48 PM »

Working class suburbs in LA will vote for Obama. How is the San fernando valley classified because it will vote for Obama too.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 07:06:55 PM »

Working class suburbs in LA will vote for Obama. How is the San fernando valley classified because it will vote for Obama too.

That's my problem. The LA suburbs in the county should mostly vote for Obama, but OC won't. Also, San Diego city should vote for Obama, but most of the "city" is a suburb.

Yeah everyone lives in suburbs here..especially in southern california.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:52:58 PM »

The San Fernando Valley is part of the city of LA. The number of GOP towns in LA county is getting shockingly thin (so many old GOP standbys of my relative  youth, like South Pasadena, Glendale, Arcadia, Whittier, Long Beach, the beach cities,  are gone, gone, gone, sob!), but if you define LA suburbs as including Orange County, and Riverside and San Bernadino Counties, then the GOP is in the hunt to carry it overall.

Well you guys will always have Santa Clarita. Smiley Perhaps you guys can convince more chinese to vote GOP. That is the key to win the san gabriel valley region of LA county, the only part of the county the GOP even has a chance in. The rest of the county is too hispanic. Now if they suddenly started voting like OC hispanics, you guys might be in business.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »

bump - now that the Calif. city/town numbers are out. The Bay Area obviously did, SD missed narrowly, haven't checked the others.

Depends on what type of SD suburb we are talking about. Obama won the coastal and affluent 50th CD 51-47. He lost by more than that in the inland redneck/middle class 52nd CD. He also did very well in the inner suburbs of San Diego.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:53:22 AM »

bump - now that the Calif. city/town numbers are out. The Bay Area obviously did, SD missed narrowly, haven't checked the others.

Depends on what type of SD suburb we are talking about. Obama won the coastal and affluent 50th CD 51-47. He lost by more than that in the inland redneck/middle class 52nd CD. He also did very well in the inner suburbs of San Diego.

I'm defining suburbs as "metro area - central city". In this case, metro SD is just SD county. According to this site , Obama won the city of SD 62.5%-35.7% and McCain won the remainder of the county 50.5%-47.8%.

Ahh I see. Of course the city of San Diego contains a lot of areas that are basically suburban and very similar to the suburbs surrounding it. If we consider those places to be in the suburban category as well, then I think we would find that Obama carried the suburbs narrowly.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:01:47 PM »

I'm sure the Sac metro is way larger even according to the official definition, rendering the point moot, but I was surprised to notice Obama won Sacramento County minus Sacramento city.

No I think it is sufficient. I would actually remove Yolo from the list since Davis is certainly not a suburb of Sacramento. West Sacramento obviously is though. And El dorado county contains a lot of the Lake Tahoe population which is also not a part of the Sacramento area. So I think we can safely say that Obama carried the Sacramento metropolitan area.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies