Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:54:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain] (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]  (Read 300074 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: July 21, 2008, 04:05:10 PM »

This is a complete weekend sample in Gallup polling.

Unless it's a long weekend, that's never going to be the case.  Gallup is a three-day tracker.

Are people going to vote in November on a weekend?  That's the big question.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:12:49 AM »

Carl, I have an honest question: Are national polls necessarily more immune from bad samples?  Or do little pockets of weakness (cell-only, non-response, multiple landlines etc.) expose themselves more in a national poll?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:07:33 AM »

Well, if it's gonna happen it will happen tomorrow (given that weekend data, apparently, overstates Obama's lead).

Dave

Think about it this way: Perhaps mid-week date overstates McCain's lead. How 'bout that?

the election is on a Tuesday

Deadpan sarcasm > regular sarcasm
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:50:20 PM »

What time of day are the polls conducted for Gallup?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 03:03:42 PM »

I'm looking foward to seeing the impact of his speech. About 40 million people watched it live.

Note: That is more than the final episode of American Idol or the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 03:23:48 PM »

day-to-day, per 538:

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 05:54:42 PM »

Trying to figure out the day by day totals of the tracking polls is nothing but guesswork.

You are basing assumptions off of assumptions. You are assuming that you know what the day rolling off is, in order to determine what the new day coming on is. After days upon days of guesswork, the margin of error becomes very large, thus putting those numbers in high doubt.

If by "guesswork" you mean a mathematical algorithm, then I agree.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:19:09 AM »

I wish we held our convention after theirs. Fu ck tradition.

I doubt this accounts for any real difference. So McCain gets a lead for a week or two. Big whoop.

Two weeks is where you start getting problems.

If McCain is ahead or with end 2% in two week, you can count Sen. Obama out. Sen. McCain well do very well in the debates and Sen. Obama will not.

2% and it's over?  Wow.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 12:20:33 PM »

MCCain is probably up 3-4 points right now. *Sigh*

Actually, should the poll be 100% accurate, McCain is up less than 3 points since it's a 3 day rolling average.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »

Gallup's at +2.

Today's sample could have been about Obama -1 to 0 to get this result, right?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 03:01:40 PM »

McCain's in trouble now!  The trend is there!  THE TREND
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 12:12:16 PM »

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 12:11:46 PM »

Are all three polls three day rolling averages?  I haven't checked the Kos or Diago since I find them less interesting.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 12:13:45 PM »

Nooooo...stop siiiiinking.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 03:46:04 AM »

To go from O+3 to tied is a big jump.

If the numbers were previously static (assuming no pro-Obama numbers rolling off the three-day), that would mean a +9 jump for McCain in the dailies.  We'll know if this was an outlier in 3 days.  The other three dailies give some affirmative evidence that Gallup's might be off, but I like Gallup so I'll wait and see.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 12:05:43 PM »

Friday, September 26, 2008
Obama 48% (+2)
McCain 45% (-1)

Whoah, what sort of numbers are required for Obama to drop 3 and then go up 3 in subsequent days?

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »

Economic fears are interesting.  Americans lose faith in the economy EXTREMELY quickly, but they don't gain faith back in the economy anywhere near as fast.  It's pretty well documented that consumer confidence ticks upward a small amount every month.

JJ predicting that "As soon as the crisis fades, so does Obama's lead" is a false prognostication, because I doubt most of the electorate can just flip a switch in 40 days and start thinking about  Iraq and whatnot again.  If the economy recovers fully in the next couple weeks, it's good for McCain, but there will still be a lingering strong dissatisfaction of, and focus on, the economy for many months ahead among a sizable (dare I say, majority?) amount of voters.

That said, 8%= rad.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 02:11:05 AM »

Well, it wasn't to hard to predict the media would give the "win" to Obama. I knew that no matter how well McCain did they were going to say Obama won.  The media is completely carrying all the water for Obama. They are doing everything they can to get him in office it's quite obvious. Obama and the Democrats are NOT being attacked for their policies which created this housing crisis. The Politically Correct loans are not being pointed out by either McCain or his camp. Need I really go on? Lets just get ready for a president Obama. And I'll get ready to give Mr Neophyte one big number one finger when he takes the oath.

Actually, the slight majority of media pundits, including left-leaning ones, like Greg Sargent on the incredibly left-leaning site, TalkingPointsMemo, gave the win to McCain.  I don't know what the heck you are talking about.

It was the flashpolls that gave the win to Obama, and the media relied on these multiple polls of undecided viewers to analyze the debate in the days after.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 05:36:55 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2008, 05:55:14 PM by Lunar »

Economic fears are interesting.  Americans lose faith in the economy EXTREMELY quickly, but they don't gain faith back in the economy anywhere near as fast.  It's pretty well documented that consumer confidence ticks upward a small amount every month.

I disagree with the statement, "As soon as the crisis fades, so does Obama's lead." because I doubt most of the electorate can just flip a switch in 40 days and start thinking about  Iraq and whatnot again.  If the economy recovers fully in the next couple weeks, it's good for McCain, but there will still be a lingering strong dissatisfaction of, and focus on, the economy for many months ahead among a sizable (dare I say, majority?) amount of voters.

That said, 8%= rad.

Since the markets dropped today worse than they did on 9/11, and there are no perfectly timed tax breaks (purely by accident in '01) to arrive right afterwards, I'm not convinced that the economy can convincingly recover itself out of most American's mind by November.

... biggest one day drop in the history of Wall Street.  Nice job Congress.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 08:45:32 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_authority
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 09:06:29 PM »

An effective argument doesn't commit obvious, ridiculous logical fallacies, that's all.  Since I was browsing Wikipedia's list of logical fallacies at the time, the link was way convenient.  To say that you're unable to make an argument without committing a logical fallacy seems a bit overboard, but yo, whatevsky, that's cool.

Btw: Alcon, I don't care 'bout your Gallup-discussing thread Wink
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 12:15:30 PM »

NOOOOOO

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 12:25:28 PM »

I don't see why Obama fans see this as a problem. He still has a 4-6 point lead.

Because we're flighty and prone to mood swings.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »

I don't see why Obama fans see this as a problem. He still has a 4-6 point lead.

Because we're flighty and prone to mood swings.

and erratic, and politically unsound.... Smiley

Don't worry.. in 20 years you will be a Libertarian or a conservative.. you are far too intelligent to continue to hold your current views.. Smiley

Aww.  I'm actually registered Libertarian and became Democratic because I'm moonlighting 10 hours a week at an online Democratic consulting firm.  So it's gone in the reverse direction Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies