Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:08:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]  (Read 299859 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: July 20, 2008, 01:41:17 PM »

Again, the large number of undecideds (13 in this poll) is remarkable, if not unique for Gallup.

I'm guessing a lot of traditionally Democratic working class whites and suburban moderates who are sick of Repubs and would normally be going for the Dem nominee are staying undecided. In places like West Virginia, Ohio and New Hampshire, these voters broke against Obama in the closing days.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »

Again, the large number of undecideds (13 in this poll) is remarkable, if not unique for Gallup.

I'm guessing a lot of traditionally Democratic working class whites and suburban moderates who are sick of Repubs and would normally be going for the Dem nominee are staying undecided. In places like West Virginia, Ohio and New Hampshire, these voters broke against Obama in the closing days.

And they are undecided because Obama is a flawed candidate.

There is no such thing as a non-flawed candidate, and if there was, I would be highly suspicious of him or her. As opposed to a lot of people, my opinion of Obama actually improved after he showed that he's not perfect.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »

I'm guessing a lot of traditionally Democratic working class whites and suburban moderates who are sick of Repubs and would normally be going for the Dem nominee are staying undecided.

The undecideds could well be waiting to see whether or not Obama crosses their "acceptability threshold" and if he does they'll likely break his way and he wins; but if not ...

Yeah, I think so. Part of this is the "Commander in Chief" threshold that was much talked about earlier in the year. This is going to be a sticking point for Obama because of his background & relative inexperience, something that still must be handled (along with whatever the GOP attack plan is for August & September). Hence, the necessity of his going overseas.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Only then it was Democrat vs Democrat ... I'm far from certain but I'd guess that, nationally, those Democratic primary voters who were most concerned about the economy favored Clinton

Far from this race being Obama's to lose, it's Obama's to win and he's not there yet because, rightly or wrongly, McCain's standing is, well, higher than that of his president and party. He has a compelling story to tell of war heroism Smiley (not that it mattered in 2000); as well as the reputation for being a "maverick" - whatever Roll Eyes
[/quote]

Yeah pretty much.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies