Most socially conservative Gore state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:43:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Most socially conservative Gore state
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most socially conservative Gore state  (Read 12133 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2004, 02:11:32 PM »

I'd say New Mexico.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 02:16:35 PM »

DC
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 02:19:31 PM »

Huh
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 02:22:45 PM »

I just threw it out there as a sort of wildcard that no one else would think to say.  It is VERY partisan democrat, but the church going rate tends to be high, I think.  Blacks, who make up  a sizable portion of the electorate, tend to oppose abortion and gay marriage for example, making them more conservative socially than most Gore states.  Remember, the poll said conservative, not Republican.

Also, I clicked other thinking I'd vote Tennessee.  Then I remembered that Gore lost TN, so I had to think of another state that wasn't listed in the poll.  The best case I could make was DC.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 02:26:40 PM »

'Social conservative' does not exist either.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 02:27:05 PM »

I'd think it would be Iowa.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 04:44:49 PM »

Pennsylvania
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 04:48:35 PM »

I just threw it out there as a sort of wildcard that no one else would think to say.  It is VERY partisan democrat, but the church going rate tends to be high, I think.  Blacks, who make up  a sizable portion of the electorate, tend to oppose abortion and gay marriage for example, making them more conservative socially than most Gore states.  Remember, the poll said conservative, not Republican.

Also, I clicked other thinking I'd vote Tennessee.  Then I remembered that Gore lost TN, so I had to think of another state that wasn't listed in the poll.  The best case I could make was DC.

Nah, the NAACP is very powerful there (they're trying to get a grip on Catholic U, but the University constantly denies them a right to a student organization), and so most of the blacks there are socially as well as fiscally liberal. But you're right- a lot of blacks are socially conservative. One of my good friends is black and fairly conservative socially (he's still liberal).
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 01:59:36 AM »

You wish.  I'd go Iowa or New Mexico.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 07:21:06 AM »

I wish? IrishDem, I know it pains you to admit this but Pennsylvania is one of the most socially conservative states. Look past Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs and you'd see what I am talking about.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 02:42:48 PM »

I wish? IrishDem, I know it pains you to admit this but Pennsylvania is one of the most socially conservative states. Look past Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs and you'd see what I am talking about.

Well, Philadelphia and it's surrounding suburbs make up a large part of the state, Keystone. Just because 50% of the state is made up of a few people living in a small town in the middle of nowhere, doesn't mean the state is socially Conservative.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 02:58:17 PM »

Wisconsin or Iowa. Wisconsin, excepting a couple urban areas, is very conservative.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 03:32:11 PM »

Well, Philadelphia and it's surrounding suburbs make up a large part of the state, Keystone. Just because 50% of the state is made up of a few people living in a small town in the middle of nowhere, doesn't mean the state is socially Conservative.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to argue this point. PA is a socially conservative state. Sure Philly and the suburbs make up a large part of the state. Philly is the liberal base but look at NE Philly (where me and IrishDem live). NE Philly makes up 1/3 of the city. Now if EVERYONE in Philly and the surrounding suburbs was socially liberal, then the state would be socially liberal. But that's not the case.

(And by the way, Philly and the surrounding suburbs don't make up 50% of PA.)
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 03:54:18 PM »

Pittsburgh and Erie and their surrounding counties are pretty liberal. Pennsylvania is not a very liberal state, but it has a definate liberal tone in its cities.

Iowa is definately the most conservative Gore state.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 04:28:24 PM »

Pittsburgh and Erie and their surrounding counties are pretty liberal. Pennsylvania is not a very liberal state, but it has a definate liberal tone in its cities.

Iowa is definately the most conservative Gore state.

On social issues, Pittsburgh and it's suburbs are conservative. Economically they might be liberal but socially they are conservative.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2004, 10:36:03 PM »

Yep. Here's a good place to report a poll result, from the same survey Vorlon posted the Presidential results from...

Research & Polling Inc., 402 likely statewide voters, by telephone Aug. 27-Sept. 1, MOE +/- 5% [for both questions]

SAME SEX MARRIAGE:
Support or Oppose?
62% Oppose
28% Support
10% Undecided

NOTE! From the discussion of which groups backed and opposed gay marriage, I can infer that Hispanic working-class Democrats are the 'non-conservative' group which opposes gay marriage.

SAME SEX CIVIL-UNIONS:
Support or Oppose?
49% Oppose
44% Support
7% Undecided

No areas of the state gave majority support to gay marriage (closest were North-Central NM (38%) and Albuquerque Metro Area (37%)); North-Central NM (58%) and ABM (53%) gave majorities to civil unions. All those Dixiecrats in the east of NM really disliked both options: 81% Opposition to gay marriage and 67% Opposition to civil unions.

I've said it before and I repeat this: New Mexico is NOT a socially liberal state! Economically, perhaps, but NM is populist (L-econ/R-soc) at best.
Note:
1. Hispanic Social Conservatism is still going strong
2. The east may have 'Democrats', but they are States Rights Democrats. Smiley

Do any of the other choices top that for social conservatism?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2004, 10:49:32 PM »

1st: Pennsylvania
2nd: Wisconsin
3rd: Iowa
4th: New Mexico
5th: New Hampshire
Shira

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2004, 11:49:36 PM »

Penssylvania.

Portions of central PA are like KY and IN.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2004, 12:13:08 AM »

Pennsylvania.  With Rick Santorum as their senator, they're either voting blatantly against what they believe in, or they're socially conservative Smiley
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2004, 01:21:59 AM »

Pennsylvania.  With Rick Santorum as their senator, they're either voting blatantly against what they believe in, or they're socially conservative Smiley

New Mexico and Iowa maybe tied.  Thing is there is no strkingly socially liberal area in Iowa or New Mexico, while there is in Pennsylvania.  It is true that Central PA is like Kentucky, but the Southeast and to a lesser extent the Southwest balance the boondocks.
English

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2004, 04:53:40 AM »

Yep. Here's a good place to report a poll result, from the same survey Vorlon posted the Presidential results from...

Research & Polling Inc., 402 likely statewide voters, by telephone Aug. 27-Sept. 1, MOE +/- 5% [for both questions]

SAME SEX MARRIAGE:
Support or Oppose?
62% Oppose
28% Support
10% Undecided

NOTE! From the discussion of which groups backed and opposed gay marriage, I can infer that Hispanic working-class Democrats are the 'non-conservative' group which opposes gay marriage.

SAME SEX CIVIL-UNIONS:
Support or Oppose?
49% Oppose
44% Support
7% Undecided

No areas of the state gave majority support to gay marriage (closest were North-Central NM (38%) and Albuquerque Metro Area (37%)); North-Central NM (58%) and ABM (53%) gave majorities to civil unions. All those Dixiecrats in the east of NM really disliked both options: 81% Opposition to gay marriage and 67% Opposition to civil unions.

I've said it before and I repeat this: New Mexico is NOT a socially liberal state! Economically, perhaps, but NM is populist (L-econ/R-soc) at best.
Note:

Interesting WMS. Do you have figures for other states?
Do any states have a majority for gay marriage?

In Britain I think it was 38% for gay marriage and 61% for civil unions. It was much higher in the 18-35 age group.
In Canada I understand 57% were for gay marriage. Britain is obviously much more conservative than Canada!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2004, 05:07:44 AM »

I think here you'd probably get about 30% for gay marriage and 50% for civil unions, but for the under 30s you'd be closer to 60% and 80%.

Things'll change, we just have to wait for all the oldies to die first :S
bejkuy

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2004, 07:44:53 PM »

Oregon is definately the most conservative Gore state.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2004, 08:32:52 PM »

SAME SEX MARRIAGE:
Support or Oppose?
62% Oppose
28% Support
10% Undecided

SAME SEX CIVIL-UNIONS:
Support or Oppose?
49% Oppose
44% Support
7% Undecided

Note:

Interesting WMS. Do you have figures for other states?
Do any states have a majority for gay marriage?

In Britain I think it was 38% for gay marriage and 61% for civil unions. It was much higher in the 18-35 age group.
In Canada I understand 57% were for gay marriage. Britain is obviously much more conservative than Canada!

Sorry, I only have New Mexico... Sad But that's a good question for all those other posters to find out. Wink
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2004, 08:52:53 PM »

SAME SEX MARRIAGE:
Support or Oppose?
62% Oppose
28% Support
10% Undecided

Was there a thread or a poll on that?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies