Daily VP Discussion: Kathleen Sebelius (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:49:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Daily VP Discussion: Kathleen Sebelius (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Daily VP Discussion: Kathleen Sebelius  (Read 3626 times)
8 out of 11 is not deserved
pollwatch99-b

« on: June 07, 2008, 02:23:44 PM »
« edited: June 07, 2008, 02:35:46 PM by Change Never Comes Easy »

Obama support among white woman and catholics needs improvement.

She comes from heartland and her record is not as conservative as her image.  Pro-choice, anti-tobacco (state wide ban), anti-capital punishment, strong education funding, and advocate of alternative energy allowing her to present herself as a moderate vs a conservative. These would be generally consistent with Obama's opinions ( except maybe banning tobacco - not sure where Obama is here ).

She will re-enforce his 50 state strategy ( governor from red state ) with no association to Washington ( another plus ).

She is married for 33 years, her husband is a a federal magistrate judge.  Unlikely
( not impossible ) that there are skeletons in the closet here.

She will not upstage Obama as opposed to Clinton as a VP.   

Biggest problem is no foreign policy experience.  You cannot get that without picking somebody from Washington unless you go with a former Washington Player who can say he left due to the poison atmosphere ( Sam Nunn - not sure he could claim this ).

This would be a good VP pick if he feels he has the national policy strength and can take on McCain.

I'd give her a 50% chance to be the VP pick

pollwatch99-b

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 02:40:05 PM »

I've seen people post this about her before.  I think the concept that she is a conservative comes more from the state she represents then her positions.   Unless of course, you call balancing budgets without raising taxes as a conservative versus just plain what you are supposed to do if you can
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »

I'd like to hear it because I haven't heard any good reason to not put her on the ticket.  I don't count 'HRC supporters will be pissed' as a good reason.  I want reasons against her character or positions.

You're 1000% correct. 
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »

Err, why are strategic, tactical considerations not valid, 'good' reasons?  Fears of tokenism and possible backlash are both things I promise you that Obama's camp are going to count as potential downsides.  Lack of foreign policy credentials is another possible downside. 
I understand your point, but I am horribly optimistic that Obama can make the case for her, since her being a blue gov of a red state underscored Obama's unity message.

No tactical considerations are a recipe for defeat.  Those Clinton supporters who are yelling sexism will be satisfied with nothing but Clinton who will upstage Obama and make him look weak.  Those woman will only support Obama if he picks Clinton.  So they will yell Tokenism, they are yelling sexism today.  Obama needs to move on and pick on qualifications not on tactical nonsense.  To win the Presidency, you need to appeal to the center not the fringes of either party
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 04:33:31 PM »

Instead ob being consummed and frozen by the "Clinton" hard noses, how about discussing the Gov's strenghts and weaknesses
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies