Name the next three U.S. Presidents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:00:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Name the next three U.S. Presidents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Name the next three U.S. Presidents  (Read 169866 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 09, 2008, 12:42:11 AM »

These threads are absolutely inane and retarded. Ask this in 1992. How many would say the Governor of Arkansas, the current President's son, and either a Chicago community organizer or Senator just involved in the Keating Five? There's a ton of other similar scenarios.

I think we've had this argument before.  You're right that it's crazy to suggest that anyone can predict for sure who it'll be two presidents from now, and especially not three presidents from now, but there are definitely certain people who we'ver heard of who are more likely than others to be the 45th or even 46th president.  Bill Clinton was already a rising star in the Democratic Party in 1988, so it would hardly be crazy to guess him as one potential future president back then.  It would hardly be crazy to guess George Bush as a potential future president in 1980, or even 1976.  It would hardly be crazy to guess Reagan as a potential future president as far back as the Nixon years.

To be honest, a great many of the things people try to predict on this board are "inane and retarded".  (The idea that one can perfectly predict the percentage margins in every state in the 2008 presidential election is crazy, for example.)  But people do it anyway, just for kicks.  It's not like it's a complete shot in the dark.  I mean, the 45th president of the United States is a lot more likely to be, say, Mark Warner than Herb Kohl.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:18:05 PM »

Jindal has significantly less experience than Obama hth.

Uh....barring some unexpected circumstances, by 2012, Jindal will have served at least a full 4 year term as governor of Louisiana, on top of his 3 years in the House of Representatives.  In what universe is that "significantly less" experience than Obama has now?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:04:50 PM »

Weird. I was under the impression Jindal's sole experience was being elected recently to governor. Nevermind then.

Well it was recent, but we're talking about what his experience will be in 2012, as that's when he'd be running for president in this hypothetical.  By that time, he will surely have had more experience than Barack Obama does in 2008.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:14:08 PM »

That presumes a nonwhite can win the GOP primaries. Given the rustbelt and Dixie base of the GOP...

I'm not saying that he can.  The only thing I was taking issue with was "The experience issue will doom Jindal though."

I leave it to Earl to defend the issue of whether Jindal can actually win the GOP nom. in 2012.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 05:20:58 PM »

If Mark Warner had in any interest in running for President why didn't he this year?
How could he have  competed with the Clinton and Obama fundraising juggernauts?

Btw rumor has it tha Hillary blackmailed him out of the race.

Whose rumor?

Sam Spade's.  Apparently, it's "obvious" that someone has some dirt on Warner, and that this was apparent "from the first time Sam saw the guy", or some such thing.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »

Biden probably is the most likely person to become the 45th president at this point. Not saying that Obama dying in office or resigning is *likely*, but if he does, then of course Biden automatically becomes president.  Whereas, anyone else becoming the 45th president depends on difficult-to-predict election outcomes.  And even if Obama serves a full two terms, I'd say the chances of Biden then running in 2016 at age 73 (same age as Dole in 1996) is not completely negligible.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 04:15:54 AM »

I think we can pretty safely predict a group of candidates who could plausibly win the 2012 GOP nomination:

Sarah Palin
Mike Huckabee
Mit Romney
Newt Gingrich
John Thune
Bobby Jindal
Charlie Crist
Haley Barbour

Pawlenty should be on that list.  Way more likely than, say, Charlie Crist, who is almost certainly not running in 2012.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 04:27:27 AM »

For reference, let's go back to Ike and from six months into the administration of each president, see where the next two future presidents were.

With respect, such an exercise doesn't really work unless you were following politics closely all those decades ago.  You write for example that it would be crazy to pick Reagan as a future president in the mid-70s because of his age.  But Dole was widely viewed as a potential 1996 candidate as early as 1992, despite the fact that no one over 70 had ever won the nomination of either major party.  So it's possible that Reagan was widely viewed as a likely challenger in 1980 years in advance.  I don't know, because I'm not old enough to have been following politics back then.

Likewise, Bush was a darkhorse possibility for Ford's VP in 1976.  It's possible that he was being discussed as a possible future presidential candidate as far back as the first year of Carter's term.  Though I don't know if he was or not, because I wasn't around then.  And people were apparently talking about Clinton as a future presidential candidate in the 1980s (though again, I'm too young to have been following politics back then, so I'm just repeating what I've read).

You're right that we are very unlikely to guess the exact circumstances under which someone becomes president in the future, but there's a very good chance that one or more of the names mentioned in this thread will someday be president.  Most recent presidents were known at least to political junkies at least 8 years in advance of them being elected.  Not GW Bush or Obama, true, they both came on the scene less than 8 years before being president.  But it's too early to say whether that's an aberration or the new normal.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 01:39:49 AM »

45 Mitt Romney
46 Charlie Crist
47 Southern Democrat

I just can't see Crist. Jeb Bush is more likely.
If Crist ever gets put on a national ticket, I would consider going independent.  What a terrible man...

I only disagree with his participation with the stimulus. Why is he thought of as a RINO? Remind me.
Endorsing Obama's package (the stimulus package)

He only endorsed it because the economy in FL is really bad, and no other options were presented to him. It's not like he could say "screw helping FL" for money that would be spent frivolously anyways.
That kind of just makes him a weasel then.  He could have cut spending massively like my state did and even CA, for all the crap that went on with budget reconciliation - though the IOUs are psychotic - did.  Crist is a big spender.

Doesn't make him a RINO. Look at 2000-2006.
I will take a look at that and form a more educated opinion of him.  Though, my liberal buddies just love him to death and that's a warning sign...

Liberals loved McCain, too, until he actually ran against one. then they hated him.
And that's exactly how you tell which candidates not to run in a general election campaign.  Whenever media or anyone in the Democrat party heap lavish praise upon a republican, you know... Even George Soros helped McCain with financial donations during the primary season.

And turncoat Colin Powell did too.
Exactly.  Now Powell is out giving speeches about how the American people WANT to pay more taxes, want more government control.  McCain was exactly the model republican that types like Powell wanted to have in government.  Years from now, both John McCain and Powell will be irrelevant.  They will never have presented a choice, or changed the country for the better and will wash away with all of the moderates of civilization.

I think McCain did a good job as a Senator, but Powell I lost respect for.
McCain can be a fairly good senator when he wants to be and is running for reelection.  Don't kid yourself - the only reason he has been so anti Obama as of late is 1) because he's a bit bitter as senator and 2) because he's up in 2010 for reelection - hence the no on Sotomayor vote

McCain is safe anyways. No primary or Democrat will stop him. He is free to vote as he wishes.
Only retirement - even then, we will likely still have the senate seat.  It is very difficult for a democrat to win statewide here.  They have to be incredibly well funded, incredibly talented at faking moderate or truly being moderate to win.  Napolitano faked moderate and was talented at doing so.  Now as DHS secretary she can let her freak flag fly and show her true inner liberal.

napolitano and sebelius seem very similar to me. But Jon Kyl as Senator is basically proof that AZ is more Republican than people seem to think.
Yep, and so is John Shadegg.  Harry Mitchell has had to vote against several of Obama's bills and he's a democrat.  Kyl could actually be president one day - I doubt it though.

He is a hardline conservative with a voice of reason, not a Jim DeMint or Tom Coburn. I have respect for Jon Kyl.
1. Obama (2009 - 2013)
2. Jon Kyl (2013 - 2021)
3. Robert Byrd aka Kleagle (2021 - 2022)

Wtf?
A decision is made by the democratic party to freeze Robert Byrd cryogenically in his former KKK duds and bring him out on the campaign trail.  The slogan is "Kleagle Kan!".  After winning election, telepaths communicate with his cryotube over a year until one of them accidentally spills their cup of coffee on the plug outlet and short circuits the tube.  The nation mourns.

LOL! I remember him saying there are "white n-words too" and right after the interview his office put out an apology ahahaha.
Yes, wouldn't it be hilarious if that happened.  I can even see the democrats being like: "How are you demeaning a man in a cryotube?" There would be a new protest movement that arises called "The Tubers" who will say that Kleagle is in an entirely different cryotube and that democrats placed Rosie O'Donnell within in order to keep her from harming any other poor koosh balls.

I have nothing to add.  I just wanted to make the quotebox even larger.  IIRC, if you nest enough quotes, it eventually breaks.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 12:52:52 AM »

LOL! I remember him saying there are "white n-words too" and right after the interview his office put out an apology ahahaha.
Yes, wouldn't it be hilarious if that happened.  I can even see the democrats being like: "How are you demeaning a man in a cryotube?" There would be a new protest movement that arises called "The Tubers" who will say that Kleagle is in an entirely different cryotube and that democrats placed Rosie O'Donnell within in order to keep her from harming any other poor koosh balls.

I have nothing to add.  I just wanted to make the quotebox even larger.  IIRC, if you nest enough quotes, it eventually breaks.

O Rly?

Lets find out.

That's not true. It doesn't.

First red avatar, woohoo!

have you tried it before?

It was done before somewhere. No link on me, sorry.

Let's do it again, though.

might as well. it's after midnight and the mods have better things to worry about.

so.

Dude, you're weird.

yes.

i am.

gkmnbtup.

Why do you switch states and parties everyday?

I Don't Know.

Yes You Do.

But you don't.

Not yet.

Not ever.

I doubt that.

OMG I've never seen so many quotes...

Yup.

This chain shall not be broken.......

ok.

So.........

Dude, you're weird.

No you're weirds.

no u.

RPP bitches!

Let's be weird together !

Fine With Me.

wtf
`AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

not.
lol

What's happening here ?? Shocked
idk

my BFF Jill?

Ok. Now it should work a bit more correctly.
aite.

gh
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm taking this back to messed up territory.  Note how in the innermost quote, it's having to split up short runs of words, like "45 Mitt Romney" into multiple lines.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 04:50:01 AM »

O Rly?

Lets find out.

It was done before somewhere. No link on me, sorry.

might as well. it's after midnight and the mods have better things to worry about.

so.

Dude, you're weird.

yes.

i am.

gkmnbtup.

I Don't Know.

Yes You Do.

But you don't.

Not yet.

Not ever.

I doubt that.

Yup.

This chain shall not be broken.......

ok.

So.........

Dude, you're weird.

No you're weirds.

no u.

RPP bitches!

Fine With Me.

wtf

not.
lol

idk

my BFF Jill?

Ok. Now it should work a bit more correctly.
aite.

gh

I'm taking this back to messed up territory.  Note how in the innermost quote, it's having to split up short runs of words, like "45 Mitt Romney" into multiple lines.

thats cool

Now I'm adding in some links to fake quotes to create confusion as to who said what.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 03:01:26 AM »

I have nothing to add.  I just wanted to make the dick even larger.  IIRC, if you nest enough quotes, it eventually breaks.

O Rly?

Lets find out.

[/quote]

[/quote]

It was done before somewhere. No dick on me, sorry.

[/quote]

[/quote]

so.
[/quote]

Dude, you're weird.
[/quote]

yes.

i am.

gkmnbtup.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I Don't Know.
[/quote]

Yes You Do.
[/quote]

But you don't.
[/quote]

Not yet.
[/quote]

Not ever.
[/quote]

I doubt that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yup.
[/quote]

This dick shall not be broken.......
[/quote]

ok.
[/quote]

So.........
[/quote]

Dude, you're weird.
[/quote]

No you're weirds.
[/quote]

no u.
[/quote]

RPP bitches!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fine With Me.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

wtf
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

not.
[/quote]
lol
[/quote]

[/quote]
idk
[/quote]

my BFF Jill?
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Now I'm getting a message that says "The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (10000 characters)."  I'm forced to delete text from within the loop.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 10:34:43 PM »

I have nothing to add.  I just wanted to make the dick even larger.  IIRC, if you nest enough quotes, it eventually breaks.

O Rly?

Lets find out.

Firstr, woohoo!

It was donhough.

so.
[/quote]

Dude, you're weird.
[/quote]

yes.

i am.

gkmnbtup.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I Don't Know.
[/quote]

Yes You Do.
[/quote]

But you don't.
[/quote]

Not yet.
[/quote]

Not ever.
[/quote]

I doubt that.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yup.
[/quote]

This dick shall not be broken.......
[/quote]

ok.
[/quote]

So...
[/quote]

Dude u weird.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Now I'm getting a message that says "The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (10000 characters)."  I'm forced to delete text from within the loop.

[/quote]

Yeah, that happens.... The loop is more important than the text therein, fortunately.

[/quote]

This looks fun.

[/quote]
[/quote]

It is.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 06:10:12 AM »

true.
First!
Yes.
ever.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
ok.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
You shouldn't have edited down "Supercalifragilisticexpialodocious".  The whole point is to have a long word in the innermost quote box, to see what happens when it gets squeezed to death.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 08:11:21 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Cheesy
[/quote]

Ah! holy crap! What did you do!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hahahahahahahahahaha ! Grin

I love to be evil.
[/quote]

Looks like the long word in the center doesn't get squashed.  It just stretches out the page.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 03:49:48 AM »

2009-2017 Barack Obama
2017-2021 Brian Schweitzer
2021-2015 Mark Warner

Warner is president for negative 6 years?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 05:08:19 AM »

*bump*

Barack Obama (2009-2013)
Newt Gingrich (2013-2017)
Barack Obama (2017-2021)
John Thune (2021-2029)

Obama is 44...and 46. Tongue

Yep.

How about this?

Barack Obama (2009-2013)
Mike Huckabee (2013-2017)

Ummmm….

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ummmm….

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ummmm….

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »

*bump*

So, who had Obama and Trump as the next two when this thread started?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 04:50:17 PM »

Reaganfan started this thread in 2008, and (barring something crazy happening, like either Trump or Biden dropping dead before Jan. 20th) we now know the answer to the question he posed: Obama, Trump, Biden.  Not that anyone would have guessed that particular sequence back then.

Also, funny in retrospect is this suggestion that Biden would never be able to win the Dem. nomination for president even if he'd already ascended to the presidency and was running as an incumbent:

I would consider voting for Mark Warner against say, a populist social-conservative, but I'm not 100% sure where Warner stands economically.  I'm sure that will be fleshed out in his coming Senate term.

He's moderately pro-business, and is basically a Blue Dog Democrat on economics.

So he's a Republican, more or less.

No; he can govern well.

Well played.

Anyway, just for fun:

1. Barack Obama (2009-2011)
2. Joe Biden (2011-2013)
3. Mark Warner (2013-??)

I'm not implying an Obama assassination to stir up the pot, or based on any animosity I hold towards him, I'm just making my best guess based on the historical drama. Now, poke holes in it.

If Biden becomes President, he runs for reelection.

I don't think he could win his party's nomination, even as a sitting President. True, Warner doesn't seem the type to challenge him, but I couldn't think of anyone better.

Oh, and how about this prediction that Obama would drop Biden from the ticket in 2012:

I don't think Obama's going to pick Biden again.  He won't need him.  And he'll (along with the rest of his party) want to pick someone seen as a lock to win the office when he leaves.  So, if Obama's got high exit numbers, #45 will be whoever his next VP is. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 04:42:20 PM »

Well, he's not wrong, ya know? I don't think anyone in 2008 got it right.

No one would have predicted Trump as a future president in 2008, that's true.  However, a few people in 2008 in this thread predicted Biden as a future president, but had him following immediately after Obama, and often because of presumed assassination of Obama or something, as they didn't think he could win an election on his own (lol).

There is often a response to threads like these along the lines of "What is the point of these threads?  You can't predict who's going to be president in 10 years."  But I'd say that, at any point in time, you can certainly pick out some current politicians who are more likely to be president at some point in the future than others, even if you can't predict what year they'll become president.  So maybe the thread should instead be something like "Name the people most likely to become president some day, regardless of timing."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies