Please don't get mad at me, but why did Gore lose Tennessee? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:21:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Please don't get mad at me, but why did Gore lose Tennessee? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Please don't get mad at me, but why did Gore lose Tennessee?  (Read 35853 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: June 09, 2008, 05:31:18 AM »

even though the Republican candidates would have won it if Ross Perot wasn't on the ballot.
Eh. Where do Republicans get this silly idee from that Perot's 92 voters would have favored them if Perot had somehow disappeared? All the evidence suggests it would have been a wash.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I seem to recall that he did.

He would've been defeated in 2004 anyway by McCain, so he would've only served one term.
Possibly... probably not though. If Bush could get reelected thanks to 9-11, anyone could.

And he really wasn't a native of the state in any meaningful way.  He grew up in D.C. and spent only his summers in the state.  When he became a Congressman and then a Senator, he basically only spent campaign season there.  He didn't speak like them.  He didn't act like them.  He wasn't one of them.
Check 2004's biggest swings if you believe Gore didn't get a sizeable home state advantage bump. Unlike John Kerry, by the way. "Gore's not really from Tennessee" was, of course, a major Republican campaign theme/media talking point during 2000. It probably influenced some people... but not nearly enough to swing the state.

Gore was perceived as too liberal.
Bingo. In a nationally close someone-like-Gore vs someone-like-Bush election, Tennessee as it stands now (with far more suburbs than 30 years ago, that is) is safe for the Bush guy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:53:49 AM »

Re Adlai: In other words:

2000:

https://uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/GENERAL/TREND/pe2000tnd.png

2004:

https://uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/GENERAL/TREND/pe2004tnd.png

Thank you.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:24:39 PM »

Explain to me please what values Bush possessed?
The only thing Bush values:

I don't think George Bush (or John Kerry for that matter) san appreciate the value of any but the largest denominations in that picture...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies