"Mormons are not Christians"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:42:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  "Mormons are not Christians"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is this statement bigoted?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: "Mormons are not Christians"  (Read 10020 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »

I am asking only for you to judge that statement alone and in itself, not any other statement I have made, or anyone else prone to saying the above has made.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »

Yes, it is.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 03:46:56 PM »

It depends on the context of course.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 04:14:22 PM »

No.  You can definition your way out of Mormons being Christian in a perfectly un-bigoted way.  The motivation behind doing so is wherein the bigotry lies.

'Not that there's anything wrong with that."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 04:17:19 PM »

"defintion your way out of" sort of implies you have to twist the definition to argue that Mormons aren't Christians. I'd argue the other way around is far more accurate. You could argue Muslims are Christians under any definition that includes Mormons honestly.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »

How the hell is that bigoted?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 04:23:23 PM »

"defintion your way out of" sort of implies you have to twist the definition to argue that Mormons aren't Christians. I'd argue the other way around is far more accurate. You could argue Muslims are Christians under any definition that includes Mormons honestly.

The Mormons use a definition of "Christianity" specifically intended to include themselves.  The Protestants/Catholics use a definition specifically intended to limit Christianity.

Plenty of people use "Christian" to mean "a person who worships and believes in the divinity of Christ."  That requires no twisting.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 04:27:57 PM »

Plenty of people use "Christian" to mean "a person who worships and believes in the divinity of Christ."  That requires no twisting.

And also includes Muslims.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 04:34:25 PM »

Since Muslims don't see Jesus as being Christ, it doesn't.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 04:54:26 PM »

Not this thread again.  For cryin' out loud...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »

You mean I should've been worshipping 'Isa ibn Maryam this whole time?

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 09:13:39 PM »

Um, no, Christ, dude.

Edit: John wins.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 11:46:13 PM »

It depends on how you define Christian.  Under the statement that Mormons believe in the Resurrection, I would say they are.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »

Who gets to decide who's Christian or not?  I figured I'd leave that up to God.  Only an asshole would tell somebody else what religion they aren't in.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 09:42:24 AM »

Who gets to decide who's Christian or not?  I figured I'd leave that up to God.  Only an asshole would tell somebody else what religion they aren't in.

Yeah, pretty much.

Mormons are probably Christians, but that doesn't mean they are not strange or heretical. Then again, most Christians are heretical somehow and all Christians are heretical to at least one other Christian. If someone believes in the divinity of Christ, but you do not believe that they are saved, that person is a "Heretical Christian" in relation to you.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 05:41:57 AM »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »

True, though since God doesn't come down weekly to tell us, people feel the need to tell us. To answer the topic's question though, I don't see anything bigoted about that. Then again, I'm not Christian, so I don't really care who's Christian & who's not.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 04:15:06 PM »

Not this thread again.  For cryin' out loud...

Its okay, Jim, its okay.  Remember what the book of Hebrews says (I think its Hebrews anyway?  Maybe 2 Peter?), and I paraphrase, "Be prepared to give an account for what you believe."  (Sorry, I am very bad with Scripture Memorization).

In answering the question, I do not believe Mormons are Christians and I also believe the statement above is not a bigoted question.  Its the same context when talking that homosexuality is not a mark of a Christian.  That is not bigoted.

A statement cannot be bigoted if it is true.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
albertagirl
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.65, S: 4.26

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 07:35:29 PM »

I was just browsing and thought I would add my two bits in...
I think there are some faith based differences between Mormons and what I will call mainstream christians - such as Evangelicals and other denominations.  
I also think that there is a distinct difference between the Mormon faith which makes it impossible for them to be labelled as another Christian denomination.
Here are my arguments on what differentiates these groups:

Mormons will argue that:
 - They are Christians because they believe in Jesus.
- They are Christians because the name of their Church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints."
 - Mormons believe they are Christians because they believe in God.

BUT this is the difference: Claiming to believe in Jesus does not make anyone a Christian according to all other denominations.

Having a certain name for a Church does not make anyone a Christian. There are many religious sects which have Biblical names but they are not Christians. The Jehovah's Witnesses, The Way International, and Oneness Pentecostals have Biblical names but they have a different Jesus and a different Gospel. They are, by Biblical definition, non-Christians. What makes a church Christian is not what name they go by, but what they believe concerning the nature of Jesus Christ and the gospel or biblical message.  
This will forever seperate Mormons from other Christian denominations, Catholics, Baptist, Evangelical etc.
albertagirl
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.65, S: 4.26

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 07:41:09 PM »

In short:

The reason Mormonism is not Christian is because it denies one or more of the essential doctrines of Christianity. Of the essential doctrines (that there is only one God, Jesus is God in flesh, forgiveness of sins is by grace alone, and Jesus rose from the dead physically, the gospel being the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus), Mormonism denies three of them: how many gods there are, the person of Jesus, and His work of salvation.

I had many mormon friends in high school and they used to tell me about how God is only one of countless gods, that he used to be a man on another planet, that he became a god by following the laws of that god on that world, and that he brought one of his wives to this world with whom he produces spirit children who then inhabit human bodies at birth. Um?Huh Spirit Children??? I rest my case.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 07:32:38 AM »

Correct Ms Alberta. The reason they are not Christians is because of their belief in "spirit children" and "Xenu". Plus they believe a whole bunch of other space based Godly stuff that sounds like it came right off the Sci-Fi channel.

And welcome to the forum! Glad to see another conservative around here and especially one from outside the US! Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »

In short:

The reason Mormonism is not Christian is because it denies one or more of the essential doctrines of Christianity. Of the essential doctrines (that there is only one God, Jesus is God in flesh, forgiveness of sins is by grace alone, and Jesus rose from the dead physically, the gospel being the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus), Mormonism denies three of them: how many gods there are, the person of Jesus, and His work of salvation.

I had many mormon friends in high school and they used to tell me about how God is only one of countless gods, that he used to be a man on another planet, that he became a god by following the laws of that god on that world, and that he brought one of his wives to this world with whom he produces spirit children who then inhabit human bodies at birth. Um?Huh Spirit Children??? I rest my case.

Wow... a chick!

Sorry, I'll go back to the corner now.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 10:41:15 AM »

Easy now Chris.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 11:15:09 AM »

In short:

Wow... a chick!

don't get confused, she ain't your sister or your momma
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies