Civil Liberties Amendment (for the public)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:40:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Civil Liberties Amendment (for the public)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Civil Liberties Amendment (for the public)  (Read 4008 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2004, 11:54:06 AM »

I would like to point out this blatant attempt by a senator to deny the regions to govern themselves:
Our justice system consists only of the Supreme Court. Our regions (not states - we don't have these as government entities) don't have judicial powers.
This text is more relevant to America than to the Atlas.
Under the current Atlatian Constitution the 4th amendment DOES give judicial powers to the regions. The flawed reasoning here is that because no region has deviced thier own court system as yet that no region has the right to. All cluase 14 does is clarify a regions right to "govern themselves."

Our "federal" justice system consists only of the Supreme Court. This does not preclude a regional court system.
Thanks for calling me a Senator...I have run for the post.
Back when we passed the constitution, we had a debate on whether we needed a court system AT ALL (the UAC's original platform read no, we don't), and I remembered the consensus to be, essentially "okay, seems we do. But one instance is definitely enough." I didn't check back whether the constitution actually reflects that position, or if it's like you state. If it is, well, then that's okay.
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2004, 11:57:23 AM »

Regionsal judges: Too many positions, too much government, too much confusion, too little fun.
Too little fun to put more power into the hands of the people? An assbackwards sentiment if Ive ever heard one.

I wont belabor the point that limitations are necessary due to our size. But at the same time I think that all of these things can be accomidated. It doesnt take that many people to form a regional legislator(3 or 5 I would say.) And each region can live with one regional judge. Your line of reasoning would suggest that we elect an emperor to serve for life and his word would be absolute. How can not this possibly detract from the formation of a more dynamic, particapatory and FUN republic?

I think to many people are just to happy to be ruled over by a monomaniacal congress.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2004, 12:18:11 PM »

Regionsal judges: Too many positions, too much government, too much confusion, too little fun.
Too little fun to put more power into the hands of the people? An assbackwards sentiment if Ive ever heard one.

Uhhh... how is that more power to the people?  We get the same power through the Supreme Court.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That would be stupid.  Why do we need a regional legislature?

You just don't seem to understand the only purpose of regions.

I ask again: WHY?

That would not be fun Tongue

And I don't go for the slippery slope argument.

Because instead of leading to more fun elections... fun debates... fun bills... it'll just lead to more beaurocracy.  If we have a court case here, we don't want to get it stuck in red tape... we want to get it done and get on with life.

Other than the monomaniacal part, sure, we are.  And we should just leave it that way Smiley
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2004, 12:28:28 PM »

Uhhh... how is that more power to the people?  We get the same power through the Supreme Court.

That would be stupid.  Why do we need a regional legislature?

You just don't seem to understand the only purpose of regions.

I ask again: WHY?

That would not be fun Tongue

And I don't go for the slippery slope argument.

Because instead of leading to more fun elections... fun debates... fun bills... it'll just lead to more beaurocracy.  If we have a court case here, we don't want to get it stuck in red tape... we want to get it done and get on with life.

Other than the monomaniacal part, sure, we are.  And we should just leave it that way Smiley
None of your points address my original complaint.

We do not get the same power through the Supreme Court. Wasnt it my complaint against the congrees that the court refused to hear that proves this point? The only redress to that issue is through regional governance.

Why do we need a regional legislature? Why, to govern ourselves on a regional level of course.The 4th amendment created a greater reason for the regions.

Why do we need regional judges? Why to enforce and interprut a regions own laws of course.

And a bill passed by a congress that does not truly represent me is some how fun?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2004, 05:37:10 AM »

Not sure about other regions, but out here in the Pacific bills get passed only by a vote of the people. So we're all the regional legislature, basically.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies