Candidate Positions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:52:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Candidate Positions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Candidate Positions  (Read 2966 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2004, 09:45:35 PM »

If it is still alright to ask questions, I would like the candidates (Prez + VP) to outline their position on the following:
1. Gun Control;
2. Federal funding of education;
3. Constitutional Amendment banning flag burning;
4. The type of SC Justice they would seek to appoint.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 10:21:58 PM »

1. I support some gun controls, such as a 5 day waiting period to buy a gun, mandatory background checks, no gun sales to convicted felons. I feel that each gun should be reviewed individually to determine whether it has a legitimate hunting or sporting purpose. If it does, then it should be absolutely legal. We can support hunting and sportsmen while still protecting our children. Getting guns off the streets and out of the hands of criminals does not interfere in any way with law-abiding citizens' rights.

2. I strongly support increased funding for education. We need to increase teacher pay to ensure that we get the best and brighest among us to be teachers. Too many people who would like to be teachers are leaving for better paying professions because teaching doesn't earn enough to make a decent living for them. Education should be an absolute number one priority as lack of good education causes many other problems such as increased crime and citizens having lower paying jobs and thus less ability to maintain high quality jobs in this country. We should also greatly increase scholarships and financial aid. Reduce the cost of tutition by greatly increasing government aid to public universities. We need to make all public universitites affordable so that everyone goes to the best school that they can possibly get into and no one is dissuaded from attending the best possible school because of cost. We should greatly reduce the cost of tuition by having government pay part of the bill, this will greatly encourage higher education and in the long run more than pay for itself. We need to ensure that graduating college students are not saddled with massive debt after graduation.

3. I oppose this amendment. This would be the first constitutional amendment to ever modify the First Amendment and I thus would not support it. Freedom of speech is extremely important and must be defended in all forms. Nothing is more patriotic than the right and ability to exercise one's right to express oneself, regardless of how repugnant the message.

4. I would seek to appoint fair-minded individuals who would enforce the law and not legislate from the bench. Judges should enforce and uphold laws as currently written, and not attempt to change laws. While I would favor those who agree with my personal views, I would not exclude anyone from consideration as long as they are open-minded and would not let their views get in the way of enforcement of the law.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 12:11:43 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2004, 12:18:13 AM by supersoulty »

1) I believe that we should have manditory backround checks.  However, I differ with my opponent in that I would like to see instant-internet backround checks.  I believe that any firearm that is not fully automatic  should be legal, without exception (this of course doesn't mean bazookas, grenade launchers, etc.).  My goal will not be to get guns off the street, my goal will be to prevent criminals from getting firearms, while at the same time making certian that law abiding citizens who need a fire-arm for their protection are not denied their second amendment rights by inaffective laws and inefficient bueraucracy.

2)  I believe that we should increase the funding for education, but only after we reform the school system.  Education in America is failing and throwing more money at the problem is not going to make it go away.  We must have an agressive plan to fix education in America.  I favor more local control over schools.  I believe in a limited school voucers program that makes it so, if a school is under-performing or fails to meet the needs of students, parents could send their kids to another public school that will match the need of their kids, and still only have to pay their standard school tax.  Giving parents a choice will force schools to choose to provide a quality education for their students.

I also favor working with states to set up programs that make sure that every child willing to work hard, has the fanacial resources to go to college.

I believe that providing a quality education for every child in America is a must to keep our nation strong.

3) I think that flag burning is diplorable, but I don't see how we as a society that favors free speech and civil rights can force a ban with a Constituional Amendment.

4) I would certainly not choose justices who believe that the Supreme Court is a place to come-up with legislaion and enforce it on the country.  I beieve that using the Courts as a vessal to enforce ideas that would never make it through the legislative branch is a blatantly unconsititutional practice and must not continue.

Naturally, I would favor judges who agree with my person views, I would not use issues such as abortion, gay marriage, etc. as a litmus test.

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sence, but I'm not feeling to good right now.  So if anything needs explained, I would be happy to explain it later.  Smiley
Demrepdan

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 11:33:46 PM »

1.) I support gun control. I think we should take ALL
precautions necessary to insure that not ANYONE
can receive a gun. My main concern is to keep
guns out of the hands of criminals. However, I am
also a strong believer in the second amendment. I
think Americans should have the right to have
guns if they so chose, for either leisure
purposes, or to protect their families. But they
should be looked at closely before they are given
a gun. I also think convicted felons should never
be given the opportunity to own a gun.

2.) I don't believe in school vouchers for private
schools. I think all federal spending should go
into PUBLIC education. ALL schools in this
country should be given the same funding. No
school should receive LESS money simply for being
in a bad neighborhood. Some public schools in
poorer communities don't have up to date books,
and many do not even have computer access to
students. I would like to see an America where
all schools have up to date books, and all
schools have computers in the class room in order
to help their students learn. And I also believe
that teachers should earn high wages. I don't
believe HEAVILY in standardized testing. Testing
students is fine, but it should not be a way to
weed out the slower students. Teachers and
teachers aids should work with students
individually, to insure none of their students
are slipping behind. I think we should also try
to ease the stress of college student, by helping
them get through college. In today's society
college is nearly a must to have a decent well
paying job. Accordingly, I would like to make
Community Colleges tuition free. If ANYONE can go
to a community college, that might give them a
step up to receiving a Bachelors degree from a
Senior Institution, something they would have
NEVER been able to do if they didn't get into the
Community College first, but couldn't because
they couldn't afford it. Several people in this
country have the POTENTIAL to go to a 4 year
college, but can't because they can not afford
it. I think the tuition prices for many public
State senior institutions, should be lowered.

3.) If you would pass an amendment banning flag
burning, you would have to pass an amendment
abolishing the first amendment. Although I find
flag burning to be a horrible thing, and very
disrespectful to this nation, it is still part of
freedom of speech.

4.) I would appoint moderates to be justices on the
Supreme Court. I would also appoint justices who
would only interpret the law, not attempt to MAKE
the law. Making the laws of this country is a job
for congress, and anything that the justices may
do that essentially dictates to the people, I
think that is basically MAKING law. I say I would
appoint moderates because I wouldn't appoint
anyone who would make decision to be bias to one
political party. I don't think there should be
much partisan thinking in the Supreme Court, they
should do their job and think objectively, not
think of their own beliefs and own party. And
since the Supreme Court justices would be in the
Supreme Court for LIFE, that would only encourage
my decision that much more to appoint moderate, fair-minded, centrists.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 11:53:17 PM »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after viewing the post that supersoulty and Demrepdan made, I'm getting into grey waters.

Why?
 Just courious.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 11:56:31 PM »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after viewing the post that supersoulty and Demrepdan made, I'm getting into grey waters.

Why?
 Just courious.
I'm quite a bit more conservative than the views that were shown above.

I told you guys from the begning that I was moderate on some issues and conservative on others.  I can tell you that I am a lot more conservative than Nym  Smiley
Demrepdan

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 12:02:17 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2004, 12:04:06 AM by Demrepdan »

Why?
 Just courious.
I'm quite a bit more conservative than the views that were shown above.

I told you guys from the begning that I was moderate on some issues and conservative on others.  I can tell you that I am a lot more conservative than Nym  Smiley
I could see that, but you were also more conservative than Demrep, who was the only other choice.  I dunno, I'll think about this.

I'll admit that I'm not as conservative as Supersoulty. But I am more conservative than NYM, I can assure you have that. So would you rather vote for TWO liberals, or two moderates, (one of whom is not NEARLY as liberal as the other two liberals)

If you still can't make up your mind...I suggest you read my biography. Not that it would help....

I suggest you ALL take a close look at me and Supersoulty. I know the biographies may not help.....but at least you'll know who we are. And that we mean what we say...and won't do EVERYTHING including LIE about someone's health....to win elections.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 09:22:11 AM »

Actually, according to Dan's political compass test results, he IS a liberal.
Demrepdan

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 04:36:11 PM »

I'm not afraid to show my results again.

Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.51

Liberal by nearly 3 points...that's still farily moderate. Moderate Liberal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies