Hate Speech and the First Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:39:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Hate Speech and the First Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the United States ban hate speech, thereby further restricting the First Amendment?
Democrat: Yes

Democrat: No

Republican: Yes

Republican: No

independent/third party: Yes

independent/third party: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Hate Speech and the First Amendment  (Read 3224 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2008, 05:34:12 PM »

Virtually every western country outside the United States sees banning hate speech (and regulating free speech in general) as acceptable for the sake of promoting societal harmony in an increasingly pluralistic society.

Do you think the United States should join with the rest of the world, and adopt greater restrictions on the First Amendment, including a ban on hate speech?   
----------------------------------------------------

Inspired by the International Herald Tribune article,  'Hate speech or free speech? What much of West bans is protected in U.S.'

Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:22:54 PM »

Absolutely not.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:58:24 PM »

Virtually every western country outside the United States sees banning hate speech (and regulating free speech in general) as acceptable for the sake of promoting societal harmony in an increasingly pluralistic society.

Do you think the United States should join with the rest of the world, and adopt greater restrictions on the First Amendment, including a ban on hate speech?   
----------------------------------------------------

Inspired by the International Herald Tribune article,  'Hate speech or free speech? What much of West bans is protected in U.S.'

Hey Honeybrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

I forgot mybrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

whabrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

Iforgot mybrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

whobrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

I frlkggbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty.  brrt.  y.  brrrt.

I forbbbbbbbbbbbr.  Really?

I FORGOT MY FLIPFLOPS.

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

It's gonna be a great week.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

Travelocity.  Never travel alone.

It's a bizarre turn of events.  Reactionary policies are the norm among progressives.  I reckon it seems paradoxical when you say it out loud.  But you see so many examples every day.  Of course it's harmful.  Hate crimes legislation.  No child left behind.  No pass/No play policies wrt extracurricular activities.  political correctness.  Hate speech crimes.  Anti-religious bigotry so strong that we allow ourselves to stop teaching the mythology of the bible in our public schools, even as we teach the Iliad and the Odyssey, simply because of misinterpretations of the intent therein.  Of course, some of those policies came from politicians we don't usually label "progressive" (Bush's minions were the architechts of NCLB) but they were all progressive overreactions to some problem.

Of course it's a bad idea.  Most progressive ideas are very bad ideas, but by their very nature they have mass appeal.  And that mass appeal quality isn't limited to Menses Americana.  The more progressive the society, the more progressive some of the ideas.  Every once in a while, though, a progressive idea comes along that is good and it sticks.  And that's not a bad thing.  I just hope this progressive idea is one that is seen for what it is:  paranoid overreaction with no great societal benefit and great potential harm.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:05:05 PM »

No, and this is what distinguishes the United States, in a positive way in a way worth keeping, from most developed countries. And yeah... there's nothing wrong with teaching Genesis in English class.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:50:40 AM »

Of course not.  Nobody with any power has enough balls to push the point though.  As proof I give you The Daily Show during the Denmark Mohammed cartoon idiocy.

..or the entire American news media for that matter.  The Euro's, with their restricted Free Speech laws seem to be much more likely to exercise those more limited rights.  The press here self censored themselves out of cowardice.  It saddened and embarrassed me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 11:27:38 AM »

^^^^^^^^

There is no way to distinguish "hate speech" from anything else.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »

Hell no.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »

No hate speech can be restricted at all.  The reason being, if you restrict incredibly offensive things (protest funerals, etc.), then people look to ban less offensive things (Nazi rallies), until you have banned everything imaginable.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »

No way (R)
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 07:24:51 PM »

No hate speech can be restricted at all.  The reason being, if you restrict incredibly offensive things (protest funerals, etc.), then people look to ban less offensive things (Nazi rallies), until you have banned everything imaginable.

Except when said speech will incite imminent violence.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 07:14:52 AM »

No, that's still not a good reason to ban it.  You see then the level of what causes "imminent violence" will become less and less and less and less and less and less, etc., etc.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 07:25:08 AM »

No, that's still not a good reason to ban it.  You see then the level of what causes "imminent violence" will become less and less and less and less and less and less, etc., etc.

I'm simply saying that is the standard. Hate speech can be banned in situations where it will incite "imminent" violence. Moreover, the courts have been pretty good at maintaining this standard so far. The "slippery slope" argument hasn't proven to be applicable here.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 07:52:47 AM »

I'm simply saying that is the standard. Hate speech can be banned in situations where it will incite "imminent" violence. Moreover, the courts have been pretty good at maintaining this standard so far. The "slippery slope" argument hasn't proven to be applicable here.
Strictly speaking, the government cannot just ban hate speech that incites violence. It must prohibit either all speech producing violence, or none. In other words, the First Amendment forbids the government from discriminating between hate speech and other speech.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 08:10:18 PM »

Strictly speaking, the government cannot just ban hate speech that incites violence. It must prohibit either all speech producing violence, or none. In other words, the First Amendment forbids the government from discriminating between hate speech and other speech.

That's not exactly correct. The courts have held that hate speech that is not likely to incite imminent violence to be protected by the First Amendment, whereas the very same words, in a situation where imminent violence is likely to be the result of such speech, are not protected. The likelihood of "imminent violence" is the differentiating factor, not the words themselves. Consider that a transcript of a speech in a magazine is not likely to incite an immediately violent response and, therefore, would be allowed; while the same speech given at a rally, perhaps, may and, therefore, might not be.

Of course with many judicial litmus test, it is often left to what a "reasonable" person might believe to be the likelihood of imminent violence. I'm not sure in this case. Anyone?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »

That's not exactly correct. The courts have held that hate speech that is not likely to incite imminent violence to be protected by the First Amendment, whereas the very same words, in a situation where imminent violence is likely to be the result of such speech, are not protected.
I will restate the position I expressed in my earlier post: The government may not distinguish between hate speech that causes violence and other speech that causes violence. This is not merely my view, but the law of the land, according to the Supreme Court's decision in R.A.V. v. City of St. Paul. You are correct that the same words may cause violence in one context, and fail to do so in another context, but I do not see how this fact is in any way responsive to my claim that hateful and non-hateful speech must be treated identically.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 08:16:47 PM »

While I strongly detest racism, homophobia, etc., it is not the governement's role to restrict it. Banning it will not eliminate hate.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 08:54:33 PM »

While I strongly detest racism, homophobia, etc., it is not the governement's role to restrict it. Banning it will not eliminate hate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies