If There Were No Electoral College
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:40:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If There Were No Electoral College
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If There Were No Electoral College  (Read 1012 times)
humder
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2008, 02:42:08 PM »

If there were no electoral college but the President was just chosen by the popular vote, what states would the candidates be spending most of their time in? How would the strategy be different?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 04:19:23 PM »

Democrats would spend most of their time getting high turnouts in the major cities to pad their numbers while Republicans would still campaign in a similar fashion by visiting rural areas.

Basically it would be a turnout battle and undecided voters wouldn't really matter.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 05:15:11 PM »

Basically it would be a turnout battle and undecided voters wouldn't really matter.

It should be, but it wouldn't because political strategists would be too busy staring at polls.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 08:41:11 PM »

I honestly think a 50 state campaign would become the norm for every election for both parties pretty quickly. Ok, so you racked up the numbers in NYC/Utah, what if that's still not enough? Gotta start looking for voters in new places. When the other side sees that happening they'll have to start doing the same.
bhouston79
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree with that sentiment, and I would also add that it would also become more of a margins game in deep red and deep blue states.  In other words, this year Obama could care less if McCain wins Utah with 75% of the vote or with 63% of the vote.  McCain I'm sure feels the exact same way about Rhode Island.  However, if it was all about the popular vote, it would all of the sudden matter to Obama what that margin in Utah looked like.  He may even make a couple of campaign appearances there in order to mitigate those margins. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies