City Hall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:01:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  City Hall
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17
Author Topic: City Hall  (Read 76098 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 05:44:24 PM »

I'll label and update the main map once we get going. If you think you should deserve a cathedral or shopping mall or museum etc keep me notified Smiley

Game rundown

The structure is very simple. Each arrondisement elects a local mayor who for the sake of simplicity also acts as a councillor. The whole city elects a mayor who oversees the work of council. There are comittees which renage from transport to developemt, health etc and councillors can be involved in as many as they wish. These can often be more powerful than the city council as they influence policy and present their case to the council to vote on. The mayor has the casting vote in the event of a tie etc.

The moderator acts as central government and outside forces. This can be one person or a team. This includes government imposed funding cuts, or giving money for infrastructure developments. They can also include property developers etc and each area has to woo them (or repel them) And of course they can 'buy' votes.

City Hall can be as clean or dirty as you want it to be. You fight for your own turf but you are a city and you are in it together.

Best thing is? The city develops. If a new metro line if opened the map is updated. If high rises are raised to the ground that too is reflected (a property type map will be created)

If we can keep the mpas on one page an update them as things change that should be fairly easy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 06:58:26 PM »

A bunch of really old buildings in V, please. A cathedral would be nice, as well as other items of historical interest. National museum? Please?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 07:01:24 PM »

Name, if you may.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 08:23:29 PM »

So... on politics... I assume that we become mayor of the arrondissement we chose automatically, unless there's contestation?

Also... how do parties work? National parties like in most European local elections or do we have ridiculous joke municipal parties/dynasties of Independents like in Canada?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 03:01:39 AM »

I want VIII
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 09:18:46 AM »

So... on politics... I assume that we become mayor of the arrondissement we chose automatically, unless there's contestation?

Also... how do parties work? National parties like in most European local elections or do we have ridiculous joke municipal parties/dynasties of Independents like in Canada?

To the first question - yes. That way it combines both representation and management. As there are 19 to choose from I don't think we need to hold elections to start off with.

To the second, there isn't a direct need to have everyone in a party as it is municipal politics. However left and right blocs would probably form out of necessity.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 09:27:17 AM »

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »

Now for housing.

I have been very rough here as of course there is also business and commerical areas contained within these.

Pre-1800.

Effectively the old city and exclusively the 1st arrondisement. There are of course more modern buildings found within here too, but development is capped.

Georgian. More gradiose stone buildings of the sort found in say central Paris or London.

Victorian. Grand but also practical buildings that make up the majority of the housing stock in the inner city. While many of these are middle class and in demand, some are more lower quality sand student residencies.

Bell Epoque. Some of the most stylish buildings including Art Nouveau and Art deco. Victorian properties were altered or cleared away to make way for this. Only found in some areas.

Post-War Middle Class suburban. Built between 1945 and 1960 these homes are usually stone built and are still in demand and are mostly found to the east of the city

Post-War Low density. Built during the same period. Some are semi-detached, others are smaller block of flats. Still lived in and well looked after if a little bland.

Post-War High Density. High rise flats and sprawling estates; houses the poorest workers and is likely to have a high immigrant population

Recent Suburban. Post 80's recent builds mostly to the north east. More individualistic than post and in demand. Growth is still taking place here.

Top Market New Build. Glitzy and high price, the city has been slow to let development take hold. There could be scope for growth at the docklands.

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 10:50:10 AM »

I would recommend no parties, just left and right blocks.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »

I vote for parties, modeled either along German or British lines.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 12:42:25 PM »

All hail the master of Paint!

I quite like my arondissement.

But we still need a name.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 01:08:28 PM »

All hail the master of Paint!

I quite like my arondissement.

But we still need a name.

Any suggestions?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »

Awesome Smiley

Anyone have any good names for my ward? Something, collegey?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2008, 01:47:24 PM »

Awesome Smiley

Anyone have any good names for my ward? Something, collegey?

College Park? I know it's a ripoff from a town in MD, but still.

I also need a name for my ward, which is Number One, downtown.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 02:08:02 PM »

If we're continuing the Dutch theme, how about Koolinsjatohaven? It'd be a corruption of "colline château", with the suffix "haven", meaning port, added to the end. We'd need a nice English exonym, of course.

Bacon King, I'm thinking of something for you. Do you want it in Dutch?

Hashemite, how about Riddersveld? It means "knight's field".
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »

Riddersveld suits me alright, I guess.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2008, 02:20:27 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2008, 02:22:15 PM by afleitch »

If we're continuing the Dutch theme, how about Koolinsjatohaven? It'd be a corruption of "colline château", with the suffix "haven", meaning port, added to the end. We'd need a nice English exonym, of course.

The whole Dutch thing wasn't intentional to be honest Smiley We could do a 'Brussels' and have the other language as French Smiley

So Riddersveld would be Champ de Chevaliers Grin

Koolinsjatohaven seems a bit mouthy Sad
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2008, 02:29:49 PM »

On the other hand, I don't like Champ de Chevaliers much, in fact.

I thought of Deux-Rives, or Deux-Ponts due to the river passing through my ward.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 02:42:11 PM »

I thought of Deux-Rives, or Deux-Ponts due to the river passing through my ward.

I can see your point. A three language city would still be interesting for the record. Deux-Rives, Two Banks/Two Rivers and say Twee Rand?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2008, 02:46:56 PM »

Bacon King, European university districts tend to have names that are very different from North American ones. How about Koningstad (lit. "king's town")?

Tiny error: XVIX should be XIX.

The whole Dutch thing wasn't intentional to be honest Smiley We could do a 'Brussels' and have the other language as French Smiley

In that case, we'd have to have Dutch in the north and French in the south.

So Riddersveld would be Champ de Chevaliers Grin

But Riddersveld sounds better.

Koolinsjatohaven seems a bit mouthy Sad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipalities_of_the_Netherlands

Not really.

I can see your point. A three language city would still be interesting for the record. Deux-Rives, Two Banks/Two Rivers and say Twee Rand?

I like it. Smiley Dutch, French, German?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2008, 02:49:35 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2008, 02:52:28 PM by Verily »

A three language city (or even a two-language city) would create a whole new set of headaches as to community divides. As for arondissement I, I feel as if it should have the same name as the city as a whole (maybe with "Centre" or whatever the Dutch equivalent is afterward). After all, it was the original city.

I know no Dutch at all, so someone will need to translate. But, given the way the city expanded and the shape of the river, I imagine there must be a fairly substantial hill near the center of arondissement II, so perhaps it could simply be called "Southill" (being south of the original center).

That hill would be the home of the wealthiest in the district while the rest would be mostly commercial areas with middle-income apartments above them, except at the southwest edge where it gives way to lower density suburbs. (I see arondissement II as the commercial hub of the city while arondissement I is mostly a touristy area of winding streets now. The fact that the subway lines converge in II supports this.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2008, 02:52:57 PM »

A three language city (or even a two-language city) would create a whole new set of headaches as to community divides. As for arondissement I, I feel as if it should have the same name as the city as a whole (maybe with "Centre" or whatever the Dutch equivalent is afterward). After all, it was the original city.

I know no Dutch at all, so someone will need to translate. But, given the way the city expanded and the shape of the river, I imagine there must be a fairly substantial hill near the center of arondissement II, so perhaps it could simply be called "Southill" (being south of the original center).

That hill would be the home of the wealthiest in the district while the rest would be mostly commercial areas with middle-income apartments above them, except at the southwest edge where it gives way to lower density suburbs. (I see arondissement II as the commercial hub of the city while arondissement I is mostly a touristy area of winding streets now. The fact that the subway lines converge in II supports this.)

So, Zuidheuvel.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2008, 02:56:01 PM »

Not the most inspiring name. Perhaps I can think of something else. Prince's hill, maybe?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »

Not the most inspiring name. Perhaps I can think of something else. Prince's hill, maybe?

Prinsheuvel or Prinsenheuvel
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 03:03:38 PM »

Fixed in the main map.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies