"American" Ancestry (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:44:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  "American" Ancestry (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "American" Ancestry  (Read 15146 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: June 25, 2008, 10:16:06 PM »

To be bluntly honest, most whites just don't know where they're from. Or are just such a mutt that it's impossible to tell. My dad's family is supposedly Irish (although we're not sure, there's no family bible and the basis of our ancestry was my great-grandfather who supposedly said once "we're Irish"; most likely I think we're Scotch-Irish) and my mom's family is German.

I've found that looking at last names of ancestors helps.  My mom claims she's 100% Irish, but based on last names and recollections of accents (and also the fact that my maternal grandmother was Presbyterian before she converted to Catholicism to marry my maternal grandfather) it would seem that she's at most 25% Irish and at least 75% Scotsmen-who-oppressed-the-Irish-and-then-went-to-America-and-blended-in-with-the-other-Irish-Americans.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 04:33:56 PM »

Based on my last name, it's either Irish, English, or Welsh.

What is your last name [qm]

Day.

In Ireland, the Days are also spelled Dea and O'Dea, and those are pronounced exactly the same.

Actually, unless Day isn't pronounced phonetically, then the pronunciations aren't the same.
Dea and O'Dea would normally be pronounced 'dee' as in deep (at least in Ireland).

That's what a person from Ireland told me beforehand. Asking her if there were any Days in Ireland, she said yes, but they were spelled D-e-a.

Actually, d-é-a according to Wikipedia.  Or dé or déi.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies