"American" Ancestry (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:12:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  "American" Ancestry (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "American" Ancestry  (Read 15166 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« on: June 27, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »

I'm a tenth generation white American. How the hell am I supposed to identify with any particular European ethnicity?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 08:43:03 PM »

I'm a tenth generation white American. How the hell am I supposed to identify with any particular European ethnicity?

It's not my place to say how you should identify yourself, but... is 10th the furthest you go back, or the most recent? If you have 1,024 ancestors at that level, they likely weren't all born in the U.S., and some branches are more recent.

As for me, my family left a country known as Russia, from locations that are now in the countries of Belarus and Lithuania, but spoke neither Russian nor Belarussian nor Lithuanian, nor would have been considered any of those nationalities.

That's going along the paternal line (where I get my last name from). I only have one recent immigrant among my ancestors, my grandmother. And even then she was some British-Irish mix that I'm not sure about.

I'm probably mostly German, English, and Irish, but I don't really know.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies