McCain/Bloomberg vs. Obama/Schweitzer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:18:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain/Bloomberg vs. Obama/Schweitzer
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which ticket would win?
McCain/Bloomberg

Obama/Schweitzer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: McCain/Bloomberg vs. Obama/Schweitzer  (Read 1123 times)
GPORTER
gporter
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »

Would Bloomberg accept the position? Discuss with maps.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2008, 04:45:36 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

First of all, Bloomberg is well to the left of Obama on social issues. He's pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, anti-death penalty, and pro-legalization of illegal immigrants. I can't think of a running mate who would make fundies angrier. They have issues with McCain already, and they would defect to Barr and Baldwin in epic numbers, or they would simply stay home, with disastrous consequences for Republicans in downballot races.

On the plus side, Bloomberg would solve any money troubles McCain might have. Also, his Jewishness is likely to help more than his non-Christianness will hurt, and McCain might actually win the Jewish vote. However, there are bound to be a few Jew-haters out there who won't vote for any ticket with a Jew on it. Not many, but potentially enough to swing a very close election.

Schweitzer would likely put Montana in the Obama column in this scenario. If it were Obama/Schweitzer vs McCain/Generic Conservative, Montana would be a few points closer, but McCain would still win.

Anyhoo, here's the map:

Obama/Schweitzer 328
McCain/Bloomberg 210

If Bloomberg's smart, he'll run for governor as an independent in 2010.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »

First of all, Bloomberg is well to the left of Obama on social issues. He's pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, anti-death penalty, and pro-legalization of illegal immigrants. I can't think of a running mate who would make fundies angrier. They have issues with McCain already, and they would defect to Barr and Baldwin in epic numbers, or they would simply stay home, with disastrous consequences for Republicans in downballot races.

On the plus side, Bloomberg would solve any money troubles McCain might have. Also, his Jewishness is likely to help more than his non-Christianness will hurt, and McCain might actually win the Jewish vote. However, there are bound to be a few Jew-haters out there who won't vote for any ticket with a Jew on it. Not many, but potentially enough to swing a very close election.

Schweitzer would likely put Montana in the Obama column in this scenario. If it were Obama/Schweitzer vs McCain/Generic Conservative, Montana would be a few points closer, but McCain would still win.

Anyhoo, here's the map:

Obama/Schweitzer 328
McCain/Bloomberg 210

Add NC to the Dems and that is my map
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »

Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 05:05:50 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2008, 05:12:01 PM by Simon LeBon »

Bloomberg is a wash at best. If an 'establishment' Democrat (e.g. Clinton, Biden, etc.) were to get the nomination, he could draw independents away from the Democratic ticket, but it would only stop the bleeding incurred by religious right defections. At worst, stranger's scenario occurs.

(And yes, before anybody brings it up, a while back I did a McCain/Bloomberg scenario myself Tongue )
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »

Bloomberg being McCain veep? Haha oh wow.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »

Ugh.

McCain/Bloomberg: 281
Obama/Schweitzer: 257
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2008, 05:45:42 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

you know, I do not understand the maps that you all are making. I have seen polling from SurveryUSA that says that a matchup like this would be so favorable to McCain that he would get +6 in Minnesota against this democratic ticket in this scenario. If he can get plus 6 in a state that has voted democrat since 1972, then he can do well in the rest of the country.

that's only because Bloomberg has high name rec. It's equivalent to the polls in mid-2007 that showed Rudy Giuliani leading the Republican primary field by 20 points. I doubt many people outside of New York know how liberal he is. There's simply no way McCain will win Minnesota because of Bloomberg this year. Maybe if this were 2000 and he were running against Al Gore, but not in 2008 against Barack Obama.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 06:38:50 PM »

Bloomberg, while good as an idividual candidate, doesn't bring much (except for cash) to either Obama or McCain.  And Schweitzer is an unknown to most of the country, so I don't see there being much of an impact on the election.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 06:52:30 PM »

Anyhoo, here's the map:

Obama/Schweitzer 328
McCain/Bloomberg 210

Add NC to the Dems and that is my map

Wow, you're really obsessed with making NC Democratic...it seems like it's your life's dream.    Schweitzer is not influential enough to swing NC, and I really don't understand why you think he would be.

I really don't know why people think that there will be ANY changes to the map. Montana went to Bush by almost 20 points, so I wouldn't really count on that state to go blue no matter what if I were a Dem.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »

McCain selecting Mike Bloomberg as his running mate? I don't think so. Sure Mayor Bloomberg would bring in some Independents to the McCain campaign, but the selection of Bloomberg as McCain's running mate would piss off the Religious Right in the Republican Party. John McCain does not want to select a liberal leaning Independent as his running mate in 2008 if he wants to win the Presidency of the United States.

exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 09:54:38 PM »

McCain would get destroyed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: