Torie Senate Surgery Office [Pacific Region]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:45:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Torie Senate Surgery Office [Pacific Region]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Torie Senate Surgery Office [Pacific Region]  (Read 4730 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »

Alright, if the Southeast is truly worried about a lack of representation for the right in an all PR Senate then let me propose an idea. We elect all 10 Senators at the same time and they are elected to a two month term. Electing 10 members to the Senate would allow minority opinions a large amount of say, do to the fact that to elect one representative you would only need about 6-7 percent of the vote. The only problem I can see with this is that a 10 seat district is too large to use STV. There are two options for circumventing this, either seperate Atlasia into two electoral districts, which I don't really like because it would basically bring back districts, or we change the electoral system to something that accomodates a larger district magnitude, like party list proportional representation.

If you want to ensure that the right has a say in a PR system that is the option I bring forward. I think your fears are unfounded, we've only had one election under PR and you are talking as if the trends seen are universal. Also I would have to agree with Al that, overall, the NLC is a party of the centre-right. Many members of the party, myself, afleitch, AndrewCT, and bullmoose are all conservative in some way, mostly economically conservative. If you are looking for social conservatives you've come to the wrong place. They've never been a large section of the population and, probably, never will be.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies