Is profanity sinful/morally wrong?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:24:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is profanity sinful/morally wrong?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is profanity sinful/morally wrong?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Is profanity sinful/morally wrong?  (Read 10487 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 12:31:45 PM »

I don't put that much power in individual words.

This was always the correct stance to me. The intent and meaning behind the use of arbitrarily deemed "profane" words in its context is what I always regarded as potentially sinful. I've held this position steadfastly for a long time and convinced many devout believers (including my own family) that this was scripture's intention.

In the same breath, our culture has deemed these words offensive for whatever reason (or lack thereof, more often than that). With that in mind, it's probably best to abstain in order not to cause a fellow believer to stumble or confuse the mind of a non-believer into thinking you are being a hypocrite if they don't understand the nuances. See Romans 14, which, while not specifically addressing the use of culturally offensive words (such an idea did not exist when scripture was written), contains tenets that I think aptly apply.

What we arrive at is, not surprisingly, that their usage as sinfully or morally wrong (from a Christian perspective) is a grey area. In mixed company, however, it is better to abstain for their sake.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 12:46:14 PM »

Nope, my Mom thinks it is but she doesn't count.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »

Are we talking about profanity or obscenity?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 07:23:31 PM »

I don't put that much power in individual words.

This was always the correct stance to me. The intent and meaning behind the use of arbitrarily deemed "profane" words in its context is what I always regarded as potentially sinful. I've held this position steadfastly for a long time and convinced many devout believers (including my own family) that this was scripture's intention.

In the same breath, our culture has deemed these words offensive for whatever reason (or lack thereof, more often than that). With that in mind, it's probably best to abstain in order not to cause a fellow believer to stumble or confuse the mind of a non-believer into thinking you are being a hypocrite if they don't understand the nuances. See Romans 14, which, while not specifically addressing the use of culturally offensive words (such an idea did not exist when scripture was written), contains tenets that I think aptly apply.

What we arrive at is, not surprisingly, that their usage as sinfully or morally wrong (from a Christian perspective) is a grey area. In mixed company, however, it is better to abstain for their sake.
Yep, that's what I would have said if I wasn't lazy Smiley
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 01:01:47 AM »

that blurb doesn't really contradict what BRTD said

I didn't notice the part where he claimed to be an agnostic but at the same time, he professes a faith in "a God."

Whatever the case, BRTD is a total moron for using the example of behavior of a Christian as justification for such behavior.

Not the first time. Don't you remember my "It's OK to go to strip clubs, because I've seen strippers wearing crosses." post?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 08:12:16 AM »

I didn't notice the part where he claimed to be an agnostic but at the same time, he professes a faith in "a God."

Whatever the case, BRTD is a total moron for using the example of behavior of a Christian as justification for such behavior.

Not the first time. Don't you remember my "It's OK to go to strip clubs, because I've seen strippers wearing crosses." post?

Yeah, and we also remember calling you a moron that time as well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 11:23:08 AM »

So you're proving that you're simply a joke poster? Ok, fair enough.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 09:28:03 PM »

I won't address the issue of sin, since I am not religious, but I'd say profanity is morally wrong when used as harassment, but not otherwise. Also, non-profane speech used as harassment would also not be justified.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »

I agree Romans 14 commands us not to offend others over non-salvational issues.  The commands of Romans 14 are situational and apply only to situations where you are in the company of those who may take offense.

---

fine, but that doesn't mean profanity is acceptable when NOT in mixed company.  Example:  it wouldn't be morally acceptable for a group equally yoked believers to curse up a storm while golfing.

The following passage is NOT situational:

Eph 5:3-4 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 11:11:21 AM »

I have to wonder what the Biblical definition of obscenity was.  I doubt saying "F**k you!" counts as an obscenity in the eyes of G-d.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 11:25:44 AM »

I have to wonder what the Biblical definition of obscenity was.  I doubt saying "F**k you!" counts as an obscenity in the eyes of G-d.

Matthew 5:37
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

James 5:12  Above all, my brothers, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your "Yes" be yes, and your "No," no, or you will be condemned.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »

Kevin Smith is a Christian. Take a look at his movies.

oh, I see, the actions of my fellow Christians are my standard, not scripture?!

look, I defend what is written in scripture; not the arguments of men

No, 'scripture' is an argument of men.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 01:04:25 AM »

I agree Romans 14 commands us not to offend others over non-salvational issues.  The commands of Romans 14 are situational and apply only to situations where you are in the company of those who may take offense.

I... I think I need a glass of water.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

fine, but that doesn't mean profanity is acceptable when NOT in mixed company.  Example:  it wouldn't be morally acceptable for a group equally yoked believers to curse up a storm while golfing.

The following passage is NOT situational:

Eph 5:3-4 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.[/quote]

That's a fun one. The addition of "obscenity" is a curious translation that the NIV carries. Here are some alternative translations of that list in Ephesians 5:4..

Quote from: Restricted

I think this passage has a larger meaning than to avoid certain words. These particular words have an extremely wide variety of uses in our language - sometimes they are used crudely and indecently while sometimes they are used simply to express surprise, amazement, or just to stress the intensity of something. They have legitimate uses. What I have always believed that this verse is getting at is to avoid larger sins of the tongue - gossip, especially. Communication is much broader than simple, individual words. What are you actually saying? What are you trying to actually express? What is the meaning of the statement? The words that compose the statement are powerless if you take away their status - but the statement itself can be devastating or uplifting, with whatever it is composed. That is the beauty of language. Now, then, "swear" words are never really necessary for communication. You don't have to use them. But by getting offended because of their presence alone, besides the intent and meaning behind a statement - that is missing the entire point. It is reinforcing a petty cultural rule.

And, I might add, when the Bible talks about "swearing" it is talking about taking oaths. When it talks about "cursing" it is referring to damning. Every time you misinterpret Scripture to reinforce your own selfish biases, baby Jesus cries.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies