Opinion of Pope John XXIII
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:55:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of Pope John XXIII
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Opinion of Pope John XXIII  (Read 5379 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:01:09 AM »

Big time FF; one of the greatest Popes in history.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:06:55 AM »

HP, like all Popes.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:35:08 AM »

Who?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:39:54 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_XXIII
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 12:15:43 PM »

Why doesn't constine just convert to Catholicism already?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »

Why would I convert to Catholicism?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 01:05:23 PM »

Quite an intelligent comment
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »

I imagine a lot of his opinion involves John XXIII's being a Righteous among the Nation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 01:15:58 PM »

Actually I'll change my vote after reading this from the wiki article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 01:25:51 PM »

I imagine a lot of his opinion involves John XXIII's being a Righteous among the Nation.

That did play a large factor; in addition to his general acts of kindness towards the less fortunate.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 01:37:11 PM »

FF for calling the 2nd Vatican Council. It was sorely needed. Ughh, I don't think I could stand a Tridentine Mass.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 01:50:12 PM »

FF for calling the 2nd Vatican Council. It was sorely needed. Ughh, I don't think I could stand a Tridentine Mass.
He created Vatican II, the ruination of the Catholic Church?  Then I vote HP
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 01:57:28 PM »

He created Vatican II, the ruination of the Catholic Church?  Then I vote HP

Far too many people use V2 as a scapegoat for the Catholic Church's problems. That is simple-minded and pathetic in my opinion.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 02:17:25 PM »

So your church says you can't hate all popes?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 02:19:12 PM »

It's good you have some person in authority to dictate all of your religious beliefs to you.  Like about how much you hate that other group that has a person in authority who does that.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »

Far too many people use V2 as a scapegoat for the Catholic Church's problems. That is simple-minded and pathetic in my opinion.
I don't mean Catholic Church problems as far as sex abuse, I mean Catholic Church's problem in becoming more of a liberal Protestant church to try and attract new members rather than keeping strict conservative teachings
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 11:01:43 PM »

It's good you have some person in authority to dictate all of your religious beliefs to you.  Like about how much you hate that other group that has a person in authority who does that.

Religious beliefs? It's a FF/HP poll. I meant that as a joke almost. Please note my reasoning for my former HP vote to boot. It is worth noting though how Protestant denoms like the one linked in the wiki article actually show respect for Popes, more than I ever show (ELCA and a bunch of other Protestant denoms issued glowing statements about John Paul II after he died) yet the current piece of trash Pope is hardly reciprocating that respect.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 11:09:23 PM »

He's the "good" Pope isn't he? For the late John Paul, I would have voted neither. He was a mixed bag in my moral universe.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 11:12:22 PM »

I don't mean Catholic Church problems as far as sex abuse, I mean Catholic Church's problem in becoming more of a liberal Protestant church to try and attract new members rather than keeping strict conservative teachings

No, they simply addressed problems that needed attention and reaffirmed the Catholic faith and doctrine.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 11:25:16 AM »

No, they simply addressed problems that needed attention and reaffirmed the Catholic faith and doctrine.
Getting rid of the Latin mass was a huge mistake.  The Catholic Church is a bastardized version of its former self, I don't think I enjoy belonging to a church (meaning the version of the church now not its teaching, which I do admire) which allows people who support abortion and other acts of violence to become members.  The church should be about purity and having members who adhere to the doctrine, not about inclusion.  If someone wants to say their a Catholic, they should live like one, which has nothing to do with going to mass.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 12:55:09 PM »

Getting rid of the Latin mass was a huge mistake.  The Catholic Church is a bastardized version of its former self, I don't think I enjoy belonging to a church (meaning the version of the church now not its teaching, which I do admire) which allows people who support abortion and other acts of violence to become members.  The church should be about purity and having members who adhere to the doctrine, not about inclusion.  If someone wants to say their a Catholic, they should live like one, which has nothing to do with going to mass.

The Tridentine mass is a optional way of conducting mass. It always has been. There has never been a universal way of saying mass in the Catholic Church. The tridentine mass was only largely used after 1570 and the Council of Trent.

I have a fundamental disagreement with you about the direction of the Church. I believe the Church must focus on equality in the Church, ministry to the poor and participative liturgy.
Remember, Jesus kept some diverse company in his travels, many that were unwelcome at synagogue's back then. Acceptance is key to the future of the Church.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 02:14:49 PM »

Flem, I understand your point.  But don't you think there is a difference between acceptance of people and acceptance of their ideas?  Jesus was trying to show people the light, not ignoring their flaws
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 02:26:06 PM »

Flem, I understand your point.  But don't you think there is a difference between acceptance of people and acceptance of their ideas?  Jesus was trying to show people the light, not ignoring their flaws

Not necessarily. I believe one must keep an open mind, consider the logic of one's actions and how it affects the Church, and reflect openly over controversial issue.
The Church cannot simply ignore its own members ideas and belief. We must have an open dialect.
The Vatican must not continue avoiding real debate on real issues that potentially harm the entire Church.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies