Opinion of the ban against the death penalty for child rapists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:43:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of the ban against the death penalty for child rapists
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: I know we have a thread for this, but I wanted to see some numbers
Support dp for murder, not child rape

Support dp for neither murder nor child rape

Support dp for both murder and child rape

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Opinion of the ban against the death penalty for child rapists  (Read 8961 times)
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 01:12:29 PM »

Forced labor for life seems like an appropriate punishment than the death penalty.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »

Regardless about how I feel about the Death Penalty, executing people for reasons other than that they killed someone really does feel more like lynching.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 07:49:12 PM »

Regardless about how I feel about the Death Penalty, executing people for reasons other than that they killed someone really does feel more like lynching.

Agreed. (I oppose the death penalty in general, but there is less support for DP in this case than there is for executing a murderer.)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 12:51:42 AM »

The probem we have in the United States is that our prison system is weak. The system is suppose to be a form of punishment (not to exceed the 8th amendment of course). Prisions get cable TV and some even get conjugal visits. What ever happened to hard labor and chain gangs? They are in prision to punished for their crimes. Prision should be a punishment that will make people wish that they were dead instead.

Until we revamp the prison system and make it harsh for murders and rapists, the death penalty needs to stay in tact.

Personally, I would actually favor the death penalty for child rapists and hard labor for murders.
For child rapists placed in the general population (as usually happens) life imprisonment is a far worse punishment than those you list.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 01:10:01 AM »

I don't feel particularly strongly about capital punishment when it used for murderers, though I feel firmly against it for rape.

Overall I would say I tend to lean towards opposing the death penalty in all cases.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 01:16:07 AM »

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 08:53:23 AM »

I'm situational in this regard. I support the death penalty for some murders and some rapes (child or not) while I don't support it for others, depending on the circumstances surrounding the crime and the conclusiveness of the evidence against the accused.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 09:00:55 AM »

This Supreme Court decision is "correct" in the sense that it is consistent with the Court's precedents and with the analytical framework it has applied in prior cases. Of course, that analytical framework is itself highly suspect, as Justice Scalia has explained in a number of his dissents.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 11:12:45 AM »

Forced labor for life seems like an appropriate punishment than the death penalty.

Forced labor for whom? The victim or some company that wants to profit from slave labor? If its the former, then that might be a little harsh, but the victim must consent to it; it makes no sense why a judge knows better how to punish someone than the victim themselves. If its the latter, than it is a lose-lose situation. The rapist is a slave, and the victim hasn't been provided any restitution. The only entity to win from this situation is a government-backed company. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies