A Letter to America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:35:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A Letter to America
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A Letter to America  (Read 5497 times)
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2004, 05:39:35 AM »

Second)  The US went to war in Iraq because Iraq broke the terms of the cease fire that ended the first Gulf War.  Somehow, I don't think that constitutes sticking a nose into anyone's business.

I think he's talking more about stuff like, "You're either with us or you're against us!"

Yes, exactly. Who does Bush think he is? I didn't elect him and neither did France, Canada or Germany, yet all these nations were openly criticized for not following the US and Britain into the Iraq War. Surely they can do what they like?
The US can do what it likes as far as I'm concerned, however it's infuriating when Bush starts dictating to other nations what they should and shouldn't do.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2004, 10:06:43 AM »

Yes, exactly. Who does Bush think he is? I didn't elect him and neither did France, Canada or Germany, yet all these nations were openly criticized for not following the US and Britain into the Iraq War. Surely they can do what they like?
The US can do what it likes as far as I'm concerned, however it's infuriating when Bush starts dictating to other nations what they should and shouldn't do.

I guess the irony of posting such a comment on an American website is totally beyond your comprehension.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2004, 10:16:11 AM »

All we wanted you to do is PASS OUR RESOLUTIONS. We didn't need French, German, or in all actuality, any military support.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2004, 10:17:11 AM »

I'm not telling anyone who to vote for am I? I'm merely giving my opinion. There are similar British political websites with American posters, does that bother me? No!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2004, 10:23:43 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2004, 10:29:01 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

Lucy,

You really need to get a grip on facts.

First, Kerry is NOT interested in the defense of the United States.  He opposed just about every defense system proposed since he has been in the Senate.  He has stated that he would be more "sensitive" in pursuing a 'law enforcement' as opposed to 'war' on terrorism.  After the first attack on the World Trade Center he voted to CUT intelligence appropriations.  In short, he woud NOT support an active defense of the United States!!!

Second, you allegation of 'dirty' campaigning on Bush's part are without foundation.  Please cite examples.

Third, but it is the advocates of abortion and same sex marriage who do NOT want the states to decide on those issues.  Repeatedly the states have enacted moderate laws on abortion which the liberals have attacked with reckless abandon.  The liberals also are opposed to allowing the people of the state of Massachusetts vote on the action of the court, which legislated same sex marriage.

Niles Caulder

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2004, 10:32:21 AM »

Second)  The US went to war in Iraq because Iraq broke the terms of the cease fire that ended the first Gulf War.  Somehow, I don't think that constitutes sticking a nose into anyone's business.

I think he's talking more about stuff like, "You're either with us or you're against us!"

Boy, has this thread degenerated.

Let's be fair:  France, Germany, others did more than choose not to participate in the Iraq War...they actively and insistantly opposed it.  Very big difference, and one people brave enough to think themselves qualified of holding opinions on these matters ought to include in their thought processes.  Regardless of the merits of the invasion, we can recognize the difference between a nation being neutral to the initiatives of another nation and working against them.  So in this context, it's not unreasonable to expect the US to criticize its critics right back.

And it's no uncommon thing for a diplomat/chief diplomat to urge/persuade/"Tell others what they should do"...the focus of resentment upon this President having done so comes from motives I've explained previously.

Regardless of who future Presidents will be, y'all won't have elected any of them, either.  They'll all be using the prominant position of the US to serve US and allied interests as they see them.  I expect no different of the governments of Europe.  Let's be realistic, however, and realize we've been in the same boat for 60 years and will either cooperate in sailing it, or squabble about navigation.  The only alternative left is to separate boats, and if Western Europe is ready to take on all the burdens required to do so that we currently shoulder, they have a long way to go in demonstrating it.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2004, 10:42:26 AM »

There are similar British political websites with American posters

Highly doubtful!
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2004, 12:24:24 PM »

Highly doubtful!

No reason why there shouldn't be. Americans are perfectly entitled to discuss UK politics.

When Brits discuss US politics, take it as a compliment, at least we're showing an interest.

Dave

Niles Caulder

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2004, 12:28:06 PM »

Highly doubtful!

No reason why there shouldn't be. Americans are perfectly entitled to discuss UK politics.

When Brits discuss US politics, take it as a compliment, at least we're showing an interest.

Dave

Americans would do well do sustain such an interest of politics abroad, too.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2004, 10:37:21 AM »
« Edited: September 04, 2004, 10:39:54 AM by Michael Z »

Gotta love how the European press manages to brainwash people into thinking the Republican Party is reactionary.

Very ironic how you claim not to be reactionary while making a reactionary statement. It's not the European press which creates hostility towards the GOP, it's condescending comments like yours.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2004, 10:47:20 AM »
« Edited: September 04, 2004, 10:50:23 AM by Michael Z »

IF Bush gets reelected, I am moving to London.  

Hey, this city has a lot to offer, I can only recommend it... even if you're only being half-serious. But if you move to London we'll meet up for a pint - deal?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2004, 11:06:24 AM »

Do you have any idea how expensive it is to live in London?
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2004, 03:22:55 PM »

Gotta love how the European press manages to brainwash people into thinking the Republican Party is reactionary.  America is not falling apart at the seams, despite what you might hear.
I think that both Americans and Europeans should look in the mirror. It seems obvious that European leftist media has arrogant attitude on America (Well, I expect that in France it isn't only leftist media) and Republican media has an arrogant attitude on Europe.

But this isn't a whole picture. There is a lot of friendly attitude in the major Finnish media, for example. I read today an VERY favourable article about Ronald Reagan's presidency. It was written by a veteran Finnish diplomat and published in a Finland's biggest newspaper. This newspaper has also puplished often articles from Washington Post, New York Times and Los Angeles Times and articles written by conservative American politicians like Colin Powel, Richard Lugar and Henry Kissinger. And it's not only media here which does so.

Oh and I myself wrote an article recently where I compared anti-Americanism to racism.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2004, 03:31:14 PM »

Americans and Europeans should look in the mirror. It seems obvious that European leftist media has arrogant attitude on America (Well, I expect that in France it isn't only leftist media) and Republican media has an arrogant attitude on Europe.

But this isn't a whole picture. There is a lot of friendly attitude in the major Finnish media, for example. I read today an VERY favourable article about Ronald Reagan's presidency. It was written by a veteran Finnish diplomat and published in a Finland's biggest newspaper. This newspaper has also puplished often articles from Washington Post, New York Times and Los Angeles Times and articles written by conservative American politicians like Colin Powel, Richard Lugar and Henry Kissinger. And it's not only media here which does so.

Oh and I myself wrote an article recently where I compared anti-Americanism to racism.

Finland and Norway were the targets of some aggressive flinches from the Soviet Union during the Reagan years...and he flinched them right back.  The guys who lived closer to the Iron Curtain have a wholely separate appraisal when it comes to evaluating America's diplomatic judgment.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2004, 03:51:11 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2004, 03:52:13 PM by Michael Z »

Do you have any idea how expensive it is to live in London?

Tweed's got a point there, London is very expensive. For a 1-bedroom flat near the city centre you can expect to pay at least £500 ($750 approx) a month.

Apparently we've now overtaken Tokyo as the most expensive city in the world, which frankly isn't a record to be proud of.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2004, 05:40:29 PM »

Bring back your lower east side. Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length