Is Jindal overrated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:47:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is Jindal overrated?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is Jindal overrated?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Is Jindal overrated?  (Read 3541 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:15:43 AM »

Yes. The guy is just another far right politician (most right wing Governor in America most likely) who goes ahead and gives the state legislature a double in their pay that they resist, yet supposedly he's some sort of political powerhouse on account of that he has a tan.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:17:22 AM »

Let's just say I hope McCain picks him as his VP candidate, or Jindal somehow gets the Republican nomination for President in the future... Smiley Smiley Smiley
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »

Bobby Jindal is a crook, a fascist, a theocrat and quite possibly one of the worst people currently in US politics.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »

When the people of LA elect people like Jefferson, Nagin, Vitter and Duke to office, why not top it off with Jindal?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »

No, Americans are stupid the man is a minority and charasmatic on top of being far from the center.  Hell its worked well for Obama, only Jindal also has experience and a deeper base.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:17:02 PM »

No, Americans are stupid the man is a minority and charasmatic on top of being far from the center.  Hell its worked well for Obama, only Jindal also has experience and a deeper base.

How is being a minority such a huge plus for Jindal? It certainly wasn't in 2003...(or 2007 for that matter but that race wasn't even competitive so it was moot.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:18:26 PM »

Example:

La Salle Parish (Home of the Jena 6)

Bush 2004 - 80.39%
Jindal 2003 - 39.19%
Jindal 2007 - 55.86%
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 04:18:36 PM »

Absolutely. I can't see myself ever voting for him.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:52:38 PM »

No, he hasn't tried to run for President yet now has he?

Give him until 2012 or 2016 and then we'll see if he's overrated.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 04:57:34 PM »

The man supports creationism and opposes stem cell research. Also he's claimed that one of his friends got posessed by a demon. Not really presidential timber there.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 05:15:40 PM »

How is being a minority such a huge plus for Jindal? It certainly wasn't in 2003...(or 2007 for that matter but that race wasn't even competitive so it was moot.)
Its a plus nationwide, in the Deep South it is not.  He would probably lose a few southern states (he is a minority Catholic) against someone like Mark Warner.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »

No, he hasn't tried to run for President yet now has he?

Give him until 2012 or 2016 and then we'll see if he's overrated.

What has he done as Governor that's so impressive he deserves all this talk? Sign a pay increase for state legislators?

Its a plus nationwide, in the Deep South it is not.  He would probably lose a few southern states (he is a minority Catholic) against someone like Mark Warner.

Where does it help him? The only state with a significant Indian population is California, which he doesn't stand a chance at winning anyway.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 05:46:05 PM »

Of course. Only right-wing nutjobs would vote for this right-wing nutjob Smiley.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 05:46:39 PM »

But what about Barack Obama is he a clean centrist politician with years upon years of experience?   
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 06:10:31 PM »

Jindal is a nut, and belongs in a mental institution.  In a padded cell right next to BRTD.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 06:25:38 PM »

Why not make him and BRTD roommates?
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 03:51:50 AM »

The Jindal phenomena right now sort of reminds me of the commotion over Fred Thompson a year ago. He has no realistic chance of appealing to anyone but the hard right (and even then probably not that much for obvious reasons). Yet Republicans are convinced this guy is the next Ronald Reagan. Give me a break. The only thing going for him is his background, which lets Republicans pretend they're not overwhelmingly the white christian straight boy party.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 03:53:43 AM »

Young, 'fresh,' minority, ideological, telegenic candidates are always loved by young activists.  Jindal really reminds me in several ways of an even younger version of Obama who could possibly have a long future ahead of him.

I mean, you can ding his elections all you want, but it's impressive that the man is winning primaries and general elections in Louisiana given what he is.  Sure he is solidly right-wing, but you can't get all uppity because young conservatives here like him, I mean, he's a winner right now in a party that's losing its brand.

For the same reason you like Obama BRTD, they like Jindal.  Sure he has that pay-raise issue, but I doubt we know the whole story (it might have been necessary to get something else done, it's not like HE got the pay raise).  It's not a very big scratch on his otherwise pure record, I doubt you could find someone as squeaky clean as him in either party.  What's the deal with this thread dawg, he is what he is and there aren't too many misconceptions about him except his value to the McCain ticket which tends to be overhyped a bit.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 04:18:08 AM »

But what about Barack Obama is he a clean centrist politician with years upon years of experience?   

Yes, actually.  Even if you dispute his cleanliness or experience there is no doubt the man is a centrist.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 04:21:46 AM »

Louisiana can have Bobby Jindal, and Atlas Forum can have Kathleen Blanco.  Both win.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 04:24:59 AM »

Yes, actually.  Even if you dispute his cleanliness or experience there is no doubt the man is a centrist.

Maybe with a global standard, but by American political standards he just emerged from a primary and thus shares very few centrist or Republican positions that would shift his overall ideology to be less liberal.  Most of his centrism is rhetorical.

I think his voting record places him as 15th or so most liberal by objective standards, thus not radical but not really center-left either, again by American standards.  My feeling is that you are comparing Obama to the average of international politicians, or possibly even just European ones, both of which would make him probably about a centrist since he supports some gun rights, supports Israel, claims to be willing to take unilateral action, etc. 

But this isn't Spain or Zimbabwe and I dispute your claim that the man is a centrist Wink!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 10:51:13 AM »

Jindal is a nut, and belongs in a mental institution.  In a padded cell right next to BRTD.

No. They belong at Gitmo. I can't want to see "Jindal and Zach escape from Guantanamo Bay". Tongue

Seriously, though. This guy might be the only person that doesn't know he's going to hell. Sorry for the blasphamy, God.

Maybe with a global standard, but by American political standards he just emerged from a primary and thus shares very few centrist or Republican positions that would shift his overall ideology to be less liberal.  Most of his centrism is rhetorical.

I think his voting record places him as 15th or so most liberal by objective standards, thus not radical but not really center-left either, again by American standards.  My feeling is that you are comparing Obama to the average of international politicians, or possibly even just European ones, both of which would make him probably about a centrist since he supports some gun rights, supports Israel, claims to be willing to take unilateral action, etc. 

But this isn't Spain or Zimbabwe and I dispute your claim that the man is a centrist Wink!

Well, I think America is politically a microcasm of the world. Our politics are more progressive than the Global South's, where there is no public infrastructure, civil rights and abortion is prosecuted as murder. ...and more reactionary than Europe, because of their great public infrastructure, and lack of polarization or priority of social issues. That being said, Obama is probably a generic democrat (like what almost everyone here says about me) and McCain could be a generic Republican, like that red-headed Italian boy from Ohio on this forum. Then again, I'm not really sure about McCain. Sometimes he does come of as totally pragmatic and other times he comes of as ultra-conservative, if not reactionary.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 12:48:40 PM »

Yes. The guy is just another far right politician (most right wing Governor in America most likely) who goes ahead and gives the state legislature a double in their pay that they resist, yet supposedly he's some sort of political powerhouse on account of that he has a tan.
He vetoed the pay raise.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »

yeah hes is, of course i would vote for him
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 02:25:02 PM »

yeah hes is, of course i would vote for him
He's not conservative enough for you eh? Who would be con enough for you? George Wallace? Pat Buchanan?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies