California Districting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:45:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  California Districting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: California Districting  (Read 18562 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 02:22:53 AM »

Yeah lumping in Santa Ana with Villa park and Anaheim hills is well, weird to say the least. But congratulations on creating an all republican OC although CD 9 would be a little interesting.
Nothing weird about putting Orange and Santa Ana in the same district.    Villa Park has about 6,000 residents and is entirely surrounded by Orange.

Personally, I think it is really weird to put San Clemente in the same district with Riverside, Costa Mesa in the same district with Palos Verdes, and Whittier in the same district with Chino and Mission Viejo.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 02:25:36 AM »

Yeah lumping in Santa Ana with Villa park and Anaheim hills is well, weird to say the least. But congratulations on creating an all republican OC although CD 9 would be a little interesting.
Nothing weird about putting Orange and Santa Ana in the same district.    Villa Park has about 6,000 residents and is entirely surrounded by Orange.

Personally, I think it is really weird to put San Clemente in the same district with Riverside, Costa Mesa in the same district with Palos Verdes, and Whittier in the same district with Chino and Mission Viejo.

Yeah your districts are not bad at all...if you are a republican. Smiley  Well of course there is the voting rights act thing but disregarding that good job.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 02:29:58 AM »

CD 9 should be GOP. It seem to have enough of Anaheim Hills, the wealthier parts of Fullerton, and hyper conservative Yorba Linda, to keep it safe, despite the array of sans culotte precincts in the "wrong" part of Anaheim, and marginal areas such as La Habra.
It has all of La Habra, Brea, Fullerton, Placentia, and Yorba Linda.  It has about 94% of Anaheim, which is still 48% of the district.  Most of the red area east of Orange is unpopulated (less than 1,000 people).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 03:42:05 PM »

Yeah your districts are not bad at all...if you are a republican. Smiley  Well of course there is the voting rights act thing but disregarding that good job.
Working class Hispanic turnout is so low, and Middle class Hispanics in Orange County probably lean Republican anyways, that it takes some gerrymandering to create a district that will elect a Hispanic. If you don't consider that a valid goal of redistricting, obviously you'll create a map with only Republican districts in Orange County - Santa Ana was the only city in the county to vote for John Kerry, and it did so by a handful of votes. (Sanchez' district, even as it stands, voted for Bush.)

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »

Working class Hispanic turnout is so low, and Middle class Hispanics in Orange County probably lean Republican anyways, that it takes some gerrymandering to create a district that will elect a Hispanic. If you don't consider that a valid goal of redistricting, obviously you'll create a map with only Republican districts in Orange County - Santa Ana was the only city in the county to vote for John Kerry, and it did so by a handful of votes. (Sanchez' district, even as it stands, voted for Bush.)

Yes Santa Ana has horrendous voter turnout. That city is basically 95% hispanic yet it is somewhat competitive. Its those  god darned Vietnamese I tells ya!!!
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2008, 10:24:39 AM by jimrtex »

The map shows the western half of the county.

CD-10 Riverside Central & East (Hemet, Temecula, Indio)

About 5/9 of the district is in the greater Palm Springs area (Indio is the most populous city in the area), about 1/4 in the Temecula area, and just under 1/5 in the Hemet area.

CD-11 Riverside West (Moreno Valley, Corona, Perris)

About 2/5 is in the Corona and other suburbs to the north and west of Riverside, with half of that in Corona, about 2/9 is in Moreno Valley, about 1/6 in the Perris area, 1/8 around Lake Elsinore, and 1/12 in the Banning area.

CD-12 Riverside-San Bernadino Cities (Riverside, San Bernadino, Rialto)

About 3/7 of the district is in Riverside County with almost all of that in the city of Riverside.   The rest of the district is in San Bernadino county, in the city of San Bernadino and other suburbs to the south.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 10:58:58 AM »

About 3/7 of the district is in Riverside County with almost all of that in the city of Riverside.   The rest of the district is in San Bernadino county, in the city of San Bernadino and other suburbs to the south.

You're mean.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 04:41:56 PM »

You're mean.
Why is that?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 05:03:21 PM »

The most Democrat town in Orange County is Laguna Beach. It was one of two towns Kerry carried in OC, the other being Laguna Woods (aka Seizure World). Bush carried Santa Ana 10,000, to Kerry's 9,000.  So says the statement of votes
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 05:09:31 PM »

Seisure World?  Anything like Leisure World, in Seal Beach[?]?  I'm missing the local color Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 05:48:40 PM »

AHAHAHAH seizure world... funniest thing I have seen today.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »

Seisure World?  Anything like Leisure World, in Seal Beach[?]?  I'm missing the local color Tongue

It is actually what McCain called Leisure World (which is in what is now called Laguna Woods near me down in south county), back in the 1990's sometimes. That is what we all call it now. McCain gave it its moniker.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 08:21:28 PM »

You're mean.
Why is that?

Putting Riverside and San Bernardino in the same district. It reminds me of when Republicans talked about putting the urban cores of Minneapolis and St. Paul in the same district.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 09:52:15 PM »

You're mean.
Why is that?

Putting Riverside and San Bernardino in the same district. It reminds me of when Republicans talked about putting the urban cores of Minneapolis and St. Paul in the same district.

Eh it would still be hard to create another democratic district. Well I guess you could stretch out some LA districts...... Anyways Riverside has a very small, extremely ghetto urban core surrounded by suburbs which generally vote republican. San Bernardino and neighboring cities supply a lot of the democratic vote.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 12:59:29 AM »

You're mean.
Why is that?

Riverside has a population equivalent to about 2.4 districts, and San Bernadino has a population of about 2.7 districts with about 0.1 going to a district in Los Angeles County.

So I started out trying to identify the 0.4 in Riverside County.  The Palm Springs area is too large, and would have had to be split.  There were two possibilities.  One was the western and northern suburbs, Corona, Norco, etc.  but the connection to Ontario is not too tight.    The other was to take Moreno Valley, Banning, Perris.  Ther western district would then start out in Riverside and swing down towards Temecula.

So then I started working from the San Bernadino side.  I considered the Victorville-Apple Valley area, but it only connected via the empty part of the county, and it is north of the San Bernadino Mountains on the way to Las Vegas.  And you still would have had to split Palm Springs from the area to the east.  So I continued adding to the district that contains most of the area of the county and was able to get a district that comes right down to San Bernadino from the north, and takes in the eastern suburbs including Redlands and Highland.   And then working eastward from the LA county line, it fit pretty well to include up through Fontana.

So then I looked out how the remainder (San Bernadino, Rialto, Colton) lined up with Riverside County.  And while the body of Riverside is to the west, the downtown area is in the upper northeast corner, just south of Colton, and you can follow the Santa Ana River directly from Riverside to San Bernadino.

Overall the district is probably the 2nd most cohesive in the 2-county area after the suburban area in the SW corner of San Bernadino County.  The other 3 districts are more collections of separate areas, but this is not too remarkable given the area covered (San Bernadino County is about the size of Connecticut)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2008, 01:34:09 AM »

The map shows the southwestern 1/4 of the western 1/2 of the county.  Barstow is on the northern edge, Twentynine Palms is off the map to the east.   A little bit of San Bernadino and Chino are split.

CD-12 Riverside-San Bernadino Cities (Riverside, San Bernadino, Rialto)

About 3/7 of the district is in Riverside County with almost all of that in the city of Riverside.   The rest of the district is in San Bernadino county, with about 1/2 of that in San Bernadino and the rest in Rialto, Colton and other suburbs.  About 20,000 people in the northern tip of the city along I-15 northward towards the mountains is included in CD-13.

CD-13 San Bernadino Major (Victorville, Redlands, Hesperia, Apple Valley).   

This includes most of the county, but the population is concentrated in two areas.  About 2/5 is in the Victorville-Apple Valley north of the San Bernadino Mountains, and around 1/3 in the San Bernadino area, with most in the eastern suburbs.  The remaining 1/6 is divided betwee the Twentynine Palms area, the San Bernadino Mountains, the Barstow area, and the empty 3/4.

CD-14 San Bernadino Southwest (Ontario, Fontana, Rancho Cucamonga, Upland, Chino Hills, Chino)

This includes the suburbs from the Los Angeles County line eastward to Fontana, but exclude about 60,000 people who will be placed in a district mostly in Los Angeles County, including Pomona.

CD-16? Los Angeles San Gabriel East (Montclair)

This is about 60,000 people that will be included in a district mostly in Los Angeles County, including Pomona.  It includes Montclair, plus some avout 12,000 people in unincorporated areas, and about 14,000 people in northwestern Chino.  An alternative would be to use most of Upland or Chino Hills, but Montclair has the advantage of being directly east of Pomona which is expected to a major center in the district.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2008, 05:21:45 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2008, 05:27:45 AM by Supatopcheckerbunny & Hilfscheckerbunny »

The most Democrat town in Orange County is Laguna Beach. It was one of two towns Kerry carried in OC, the other being Laguna Woods (aka Seizure World). Bush carried Santa Ana 10,000, to Kerry's 9,000.  So says the statement of votes
You're right about Laguna Beach and Laguna Woods. The thing I remembered must have had a size threshold...
Your Santa Ana figures are weird though. According to the California SoS, Kerry won Santa Ana, and by a much larger margin than I remembered, about 29K to 24K, a lead of almost 10 points.
EDIT: Your source has the same figure (as well it should.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2008, 06:05:09 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2008, 11:14:31 AM by Supatopcheckerbunny & Hilfscheckerbunny »

Did a rough calculation of what a sanitized version of Filner's current district could look like.
By my calculations, Imperial County, the empty parts of San Diego County (including Jamul), Imperial Beach, Chula Vista, National City, Coronado, and the parts of San Diego south of them (we'd need a bit of suburban connector territory south of state highway 54) comes to about 550,000 people. The remainder could obviously be taken from areas of San Diego right around National City. The Navy bases should also go in here, leaving a downtown SD district north of it.
That's not a good match for Imperial either, obviously, but it strikes me as a better one than lilywhite posh suburbia.

Linking Imperial with the Apple Valley via desert SB and desert Riverside also works. Include Mono and Inyo (as currently) and desert SD, and you're getting to around 620K people.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008, 10:10:36 AM »

Ya Lewis, you are right about Santa Ana. I don't know what I was looking at, and my link isn't working. I was looking at something. I thought Kerry had carried it to, but just assumed that what I was looking at was some final vote including all of the late votes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »

That's because you copied the url wrong.

Here's your link again:
http://www.ocvote.com/live/e13/sov1.pdf
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 12:03:43 PM »

Ah ha, I was looking at the early vote totals.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 12:26:45 PM »

Well, since we're on the subject, I'm in the process of making a Bush-Kerry map.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2008, 01:06:56 PM »

Well, since we're on the subject, I'm in the process of making a Bush-Kerry map.

I assume that you are aware of this facility Xahar.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2008, 01:18:09 PM »

I assume that you are aware of this facility Xahar.

I was not, in fact. But that doesn't have results by city.

Enjoy!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2008, 01:37:53 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2008, 01:53:29 PM by Torie »

Very nice. How did you do this?  By the way, you can fill in Coto de Caza a nice dark blue.  Smiley

Los Flores is 60-75 percent Bush (Just to the west of Coto, and that little white area south of Rancho Santa Margarita. Ditto, Tustin Foothills (that white area to the east of Santa Ana).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies