California Districting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:53:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  California Districting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: California Districting  (Read 18552 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2008, 02:14:25 PM »

Very nice. How did you do this?  By the way, you can fill in Coto de Caza a nice dark blue.  Smiley

Los Flores is 60-75 percent Bush (Just to the west of Coto, and that little white area south of Rancho Santa Margarita. Ditto, Tustin Foothills (that white area to the east of Santa Ana).

On Wikipedia, all articles for cities in California have a map of the county with city outlines (the city being described in red). Example. Clicking on the image twice allows you to open up the image in Inkscape if you have it installed (because the images all use vector graphics, they won't work in most programs). Using the data from the County, all the cities can quickly be colored (it is important to do this in Inkscape, or the cities won't fill in competely, leaving ugly white spots). After this, using the Export Bitmap tool, a PNG file is created that can be uploaded to the gallery.

It's a lot easier than it sounds.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »

hmm.. Fountain valley is more republican than I thought.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »

That is what happens when a place is 64% Anglo and 26% Asian, with the latter mostly Vietnamese.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »

That is what happens when a place is 64% Anglo and 26% Asian, with the latter mostly Vietnamese.

I guess for some reason I thought it was another Westminster. I was mistaken. Its more a continuation of Costa mesa and HB I guess.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »

I guess for some reason I thought it was another Westminster. I was mistaken. Its more a continuation of Costa mesa and HB I guess.

Westminster is that deep blue town next to it, so FV is another Westminster, except that Westminster is more Vietnamese.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2008, 06:15:20 PM »

Westminster is that deep blue town next to it, so FV is another Westminster, except that Westminster is more Vietnamese.

Well demographically it is a bit more white than Westminster making it closer to Huntington Beach. Of course it is the vietnamese that give both towns their conservative flavor and make them more GOP than a basically white town like Huntington beach. I am guessing the beach but I have look into their precincts a little more.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2008, 12:38:41 AM »

Very nice. How did you do this?  By the way, you can fill in Coto de Caza a nice dark blue.  Smiley

Los Flores is 60-75 percent Bush (Just to the west of Coto, and that little white area south of Rancho Santa Margarita. Ditto, Tustin Foothills (that white area to the east of Santa Ana).
None of those are incorporated cities, but rather Census Designated Place (CDP).  So they have boundaries defined by the US Census Bureau in coordination with local officials, but they probably don't have most other data such as election data.  California may have to keep voting data for cities so that they can comply with the VRA in drawing city council districts.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »

None of those are incorporated cities, but rather Census Designated Place (CDP).  So they have boundaries defined by the US Census Bureau in coordination with local officials, but they probably don't have most other data such as election data.  California may have to keep voting data for cities so that they can comply with the VRA in drawing city council districts.

AFAIK, the voting by city is on the statement of votes, but not the official election results. Some counties keep the statement of votes on their websites, but others do not.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »

AFAIK, the voting by city is on the statement of votes, but not the official election results. Some counties keep the statement of votes on their websites, but others do not.
There is a statewide statement of votes. With the city results.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »

There is a statewide statement of votes. With the city results.

Cheesy

Where where where?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2008, 01:44:27 PM »

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/sov/2004_general/ssov/pres_general_ssov_all.pdf

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/sov/2004_general/ssov/us_senate_ssov_all.pdf

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/sov/2004_general/ssov/ballot_measures_ssov_all.pdf

No House races. Sad
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2008, 03:14:20 PM »

Shocked

That's still amazing.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2008, 03:21:36 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2008, 03:27:42 AM by jimrtex »

All of SE California in one map.  Indicated cities have population over 50,000; or over 25,000 and are among 3 largest cities in district; or over 25,000 and largest city within the portion of a county in a district.

Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2008, 12:16:27 PM »

Would it be possible to redistrict california in a way so that areas which are like south central LA are a majority of no district?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It is very much possible to create no black majority districts but you cannot not create hispanic majority districts. And many of those districs will have a majority of areas "like" south central LA. The LA basin(except for the coast) is just one big ghetto.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2008, 02:41:26 PM »

I can live with that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2008, 04:04:03 PM »

It'd be interesting to try an anti-Southern California gerrymander.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2008, 08:49:58 PM »

It'd be interesting to try an anti-Southern California gerrymander.
That'd result in a more socially liberal but less leftist composition of the representatives california sends to DC.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2008, 09:23:21 PM »

It is very much possible to create no black majority districts but you cannot not create hispanic majority districts. And many of those districs will have a majority of areas "like" south central LA. The LA basin(except for the coast) is just one big ghetto.

There are no black majority CD's now. There are a couple where those who vote are black majority.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2008, 09:26:51 PM »

Yeah I was thinking about the historical black districts which have of course changed a lot in these last couple of decades. The black population in southern california is much more spread out now( especially in the IE).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2008, 12:49:40 AM »

The black population is also declining, except for the middle class. The most black census tracts now are mostly middle class in LA County. The Hispanics are driving them out. It's the imperative of economics at work.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2008, 01:27:32 AM »

The black population is also declining, except for the middle class. The most black census tracts now are mostly middle class in LA County. The Hispanics are driving them out. It's the imperative of economics at work.

I do not think the black population is declining, its got more to do with socal expanding while their numbers really do not. You are also right about blacks living in middle class areas these days. There is only so much gangbanging you can take. Sadly this subprime mess is hitting those people the hardest.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2008, 11:51:14 AM »

Voila.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2008, 01:57:41 PM »

The Census needs to talk to the Census. While the ACS is showing a decline, their estimates page is showing a very, very slow increase.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »

The Census needs to talk to the Census. While the ACS is showing a decline, their estimates page is showing a very, very slow increase.

Ya, numbers are all over the place.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies