A respected statesman vs. a moronic imbecile
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:27:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  A respected statesman vs. a moronic imbecile
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A respected statesman vs. a moronic imbecile  (Read 2116 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »

It certainly could be just as large as the amount of people meaning to vote for Pat Buchanan, it also could have sent people waiting in line home.

If you can make up enough numbers to convince yourself, and aren't going to be open to the possibility you are wrong and will simply adjust your out-of-ass numbers to suit your chosen outcome, I don't think you need waste your time with me, and vice versa. Cheers.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 11:48:15 AM »

There are recounts after the election as well carried by out a consortium of news agencies that in fact show that Bush won Florida.

What was really unfair to Bush in 2000 in Florida was the biased and incompetent reporting by the networks that reported, prematurely, that Gore had won Florida, while the polls were still opened in the panhandle, which was voting heavily in Bush's favor.  Florida is in two time zones, the peninsula being one, and the panhandle being the other.

There is absolutely no doubt that because of this blatant interference in the electoral process by the liberal media to swing the election to Gore that thousands of voters in the panhandle, who were waiting in line to vote for Bush, heard the reports that Gore had won the state, so therefore just left and went home.

The number of voters disqualified from voting because of Katherine Harris's "list of felons" far outnumbers the people who didn't show up in the panhandle.

The announcement that Gore won Florida, came 6 minutes before the polls were officially closed in the Panhandle.  First off how many people do you think are left voting in the last 6 minutes when the polls were open for 12 hours??  Secondly, its not like the announcement was made while these people were watching tv.  They were on a line.  Third, even if some did find out, many other races on the ballot.  And as previously mentioned far far more people happened to be removed by Katherine Hariis from the voter rolls, that shouldn't have been.  The company who conducted the voter purge has connections to the Bush family dating back to the 1970's, and they admitted that they had a 15% error rate out of the tends and tens of thousands of voters which were removed from the rolls.  The largest share of the mistakes happened in Palm and Broward Counties (the two heaviest Democratic counties in the state) and the errors were also heavily disproportionate to African Americans.

As far as the recounts go, the recounts Gore first asked for would have resulted in Bush winning, a full statewide recount would have resulted in Gore winning.  However the whole issue with the ballots was only part of the problem, it would have never come down to that if the voter purge didn't take tens of thousands of voters off the voting rolls who never should have been taken off.
No, this is wrong.  Gore chose to have a few of the most liberal counties recounted, whereas more Bush ballots would have come up with a statewide recount.  It turned into a mess, especially with the dimple chad and such.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »

Otherwise, it looks like you're grasping at straws to put together anything to explain away what actually is documented with evidence in the form of ballots cast for Buchanan. Even the best you can do is hypothesize.
The number of people not voting would not have to be large at all, it does not require a mathemtical model.  Although I'll try this one:

Percentage Pat Buchanan received nationwide: .43%
In Palm Beach County this translate to 1,863 votes in Palm Beach County
Pat Buchanan received 3,411, a difference of about 1,500 votes.  So even if we are assume that Pat Buchanan was not just more popular in Palm Beach County (say 500 or so more votes), that would assume that less than 1,000 in the panhandle were affected by the calls.  It is certainly not unreasonable to assume that at all.  And if we go by the results that originally came in, you are talking less than 500 people.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 11:58:17 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2008, 12:17:57 PM by brittain33 »

Percentage Pat Buchanan received nationwide: .43%

Percentage he received statewide in Florida, including with anomalous PBC results: .29%

Remember, Pat Buchanan was essentially a protest vote, and protest votes are higher in states where the election is uncontested than in a state considered a battleground. This is important.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Assuming Palm Beach County was demographically the same as the rest of Florida, and not disproportionately home to Jews, immigrants, and upscale voters who were not Buchanan's strong demographic, this translates to about 1,250 votes in the county. You can adjust downward to account for the fact that Palm Beach County isn't Nassau County, Florida, or Escambia.

Or 2,150 votes.

I think it is unreasonable to assume 2,000 people heard about NBC's call 6 minutes before the close of polls, and not only across just one line (after polls had been open 12 hours), but in every line in every county in Central Time Zone.

But wait, there's more! You're also assuming that 2000 people were 100% for Bush. In fact, the breakdown west of Tallahassee was more like 70%/30% Bush/Gore. Every 10 people leaving the line meant a net loss of 4 votes for Bush. So, you'd need closer to 5,000 people to leave the lines to net 2000 votes.

Since you just said that <1000 was reasonable, something I dispute but will concede for now, I think 5,000 is significantly beyond unreasonable.   
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 02:03:50 PM »

There are recounts after the election as well carried by out a consortium of news agencies that in fact show that Bush won Florida.

What was really unfair to Bush in 2000 in Florida was the biased and incompetent reporting by the networks that reported, prematurely, that Gore had won Florida, while the polls were still opened in the panhandle, which was voting heavily in Bush's favor.  Florida is in two time zones, the peninsula being one, and the panhandle being the other.

There is absolutely no doubt that because of this blatant interference in the electoral process by the liberal media to swing the election to Gore that thousands of voters in the panhandle, who were waiting in line to vote for Bush, heard the reports that Gore had won the state, so therefore just left and went home.

The number of voters disqualified from voting because of Katherine Harris's "list of felons" far outnumbers the people who didn't show up in the panhandle.

The announcement that Gore won Florida, came 6 minutes before the polls were officially closed in the Panhandle.  First off how many people do you think are left voting in the last 6 minutes when the polls were open for 12 hours??  Secondly, its not like the announcement was made while these people were watching tv.  They were on a line.  Third, even if some did find out, many other races on the ballot.  And as previously mentioned far far more people happened to be removed by Katherine Hariis from the voter rolls, that shouldn't have been.  The company who conducted the voter purge has connections to the Bush family dating back to the 1970's, and they admitted that they had a 15% error rate out of the tends and tens of thousands of voters which were removed from the rolls.  The largest share of the mistakes happened in Palm and Broward Counties (the two heaviest Democratic counties in the state) and the errors were also heavily disproportionate to African Americans.

As far as the recounts go, the recounts Gore first asked for would have resulted in Bush winning, a full statewide recount would have resulted in Gore winning.  However the whole issue with the ballots was only part of the problem, it would have never come down to that if the voter purge didn't take tens of thousands of voters off the voting rolls who never should have been taken off.
No, this is wrong.  Gore chose to have a few of the most liberal counties recounted, whereas more Bush ballots would have come up with a statewide recount.  It turned into a mess, especially with the dimple chad and such.

Wrong.  A statewide recount would have resulted in Gore winning. 

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 02:05:07 PM »

Wrong.  A statewide recount would have resulted in Gore winning. 
That is the biggest crock I have ever heard.  No one, independent or government commissioned, has ever conducted a recount in which Al Gore lead.  That includes liberal media outlets like the NYT.  It might help you sleep, but its simply not true.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 02:12:30 PM »

Can we just please stop this s**t?

Seems like we have this moronic discussion every couple of weeks...It's very....very....annoying.

Obviously, I have my opinion about this, but it simply won't help or change anything to keep going on about it.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »

Seems like we have this moronic discussion every couple of weeks...It's very....very....annoying.

Obviously, I have my opinion about this, but it simply won't help or change anything to keep going on about it.
The funniest part is that even when we tried to settle it mathematically, nobody could agree on the math Tongue
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 02:38:39 PM »

Yea, Bush won fair and square. 5-4.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »

The funniest part is that even when we tried to settle it mathematically, nobody could agree on the math Tongue

And I'm sure my math differs from your math Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies