McCain/Miller. Why the hell not?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:23:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain/Miller. Why the hell not?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain/Miller. Why the hell not?  (Read 1040 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »

Candice, not Zell.

McCain's path to victory runs through the Midwest, we all know that. It also helps him immeasurably to have a woman on his ticket, for reasons I'm sure I don't need to go into.

She's a House member. That is a fairly low place to be picked for the VP spot. However, she was a statewide elected official in Michigan, which broadens her geographic base. I've seen her in web ads and she handles a camera and a teleprompter well. Age: 54, pretty much perfect for VP.

Problems: she was on the George W. Bush bandwagon in 2000, which is forgivable, and endorsed Giuliani in 2008, which is a little harder to overcome if not impossible. She's never been mentioned for higher office and may not have the fire in the belly.

What do people think?

If not her, can you think of a better woman? I do not think Palin will happen, she may have her advantages but coming from Alaska, being in year 2 of her governorship, and having young children all put her at a disadvantage.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:11:39 PM »

Because whenever somebody thinks of McCain/Miller, the immediately think of Zell and not Candice.

That kind of name recognition doesn't win Presidential campaigns.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:23:31 PM »

Because whenever somebody thinks of McCain/Miller, the immediately think of Zell and not Candice.

Lol.  As if more than about 1 or 2% of Americans know who Zell Miller is.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 05:24:01 PM »

And they will all think of Zell when they hear McCain/Miller.

By all means, pick her.  The last time an Arizonan picked someone named Miller, things worked out so well.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 05:25:25 PM »

Good pick. I like her.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 05:27:28 PM »

All 1 or 2% of the voters?  Those would be the highest information voters, who are very unlikely to have their vote swayed by the fact that Candice's last name is the same as Zell's.  Honestly, the idea that McCain should avoid picking someone with the last name Miller solely because of Zell is among the craziest things I've read on this board in a long time.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 05:38:20 PM »

She's also about 10 million times better than Carly Fiorina if the Republicans want a woman. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 05:39:43 PM »

She also about 10 million times better than Carly Fiorina.

That comment has no content. !0 million times zero is still zero. Smiley
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 05:40:24 PM »

Silly me... I thought this was a Goldwater/Miller thread. If Candace Miller drives Obama nuts, then maybe she'd be a good fit for a prominent AZ Republican Senator  running for President.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 05:50:42 PM »

An excellent congresswoman for sure, however, not a good pick for a national ticket.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 05:51:51 PM »

An excellent congresswoman for sure, however, not a good pick for a national ticket.

Why do you think she would be a bad pick for VP?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 05:56:12 PM »

A good pick for VP.  Other women that I would love to see the ticket for shock value:

Fmr. Rep. Katherine Harris
Rep. Jean Schmitt
Rep. Marilyn Musgrove
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 05:57:54 PM »

Candice Miller live. I don't think so, unless she has a total makeover.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »

All 1 or 2% of the voters?  Those would be the highest information voters, who are very unlikely to have their vote swayed by the fact that Candice's last name is the same as Zell's.  Honestly, the idea that McCain should avoid picking someone with the last name Miller solely because of Zell is among the craziest things I've read on this board in a long time.

true. Ben might be turning into the new primary goldmine contributor with posts like this.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 06:01:27 PM »

Problems with Miller:

One, she has little statewide stature. Although she was once SOS, Miller isn't well-known by most Michigan voters and is unlikely to sway many votes.

Two, she supports protectionist policies. Miller opposed CAFTA and has backed Democratic efforts to obstruct free trade agreements with Columbia and South Korea. These positions won't endear her to die-hard free-trader John McCain.

Three, Miller received a 0% from NARAL. He hard-line views on abortion will scare off moderate women who are currently confused about McCain's stance on that issue.

Finally, picking Miller smacks of tokenism. Choosing a little-known female Representative from Michigan is reminiscent of  the disastrous  '84 Ferraro pick. Yes, Miller's husband isn't tarnished by scandal, but women will likely be displeased if they think this pick is blatant pandering to them.

B33, kudos for choosing a swing state Congressperson not named Rob Portman!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »

Is it just her size? She dresses very well for that, IMO, and her speaking skills were good. I think she'd get more frequent haircuts if she were actually chosen, when it's a little shorter as on the Dobbs video linked on the right it's flattering and smart enough. There are some people who will never be polished enough to be on a national ticket (like the rep. from Toledo), but unless you think her weight is a deal-breaker, I don't see that with her. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 06:05:59 PM »

You know, except for number 1, I think these are all very strong points in her favor. She may be completely pro-life, but women who are pro-life and not extremely vocal about it are presumed to be moderates on the issue, fairly or not. It's easier to do than if you are a man. I also think the protectionism helps him, because it's a tough issue for him in the states he needs to win most, and he can afford to let his VP off the reservation a bit.

Yes, it's a form of tokenism, but I think it would be forgiven this year, first because choosing a white man would be seen as almost willfully obtuse given the opening Hillary Clinton gave him, and because she's a notch more qualified than Geraldine Ferraro was.

Problems with Miller:

One, she has little statewide stature. Although she was once SOS, Miller isn't well-known by most Michigan voters and is unlikely to sway many votes.

Two, she supports protectionist policies. Miller opposed CAFTA and has backed Democratic efforts to obstruct free trade agreements with Columbia and South Korea. These positions won't endear her to die-hard free-trader John McCain.

Three, Miller received a 0% from NARAL. He hard-line views on abortion will scare off moderate women who are currently confused about McCain's stance on that issue.

Finally, picking Miller smacks of tokenism. Choosing a little-known female Representative from Michigan is reminiscent of  the disastrous  '84 Ferraro pick. Yes, Miller's husband isn't tarnished by scandal, but women will likely be displeased if they think this pick is blatant pandering to them.

B33, kudos for choosing a swing state Congressperson not named Rob Portman!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 06:07:24 PM »

Tokenism?  Did anyone not notice who the Democrats nominated?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 06:17:41 PM »

Is it just her size? She dresses very well for that, IMO, and her speaking skills were good. I think she'd get more frequent haircuts if she were actually chosen, when it's a little shorter as on the Dobbs video linked on the right it's flattering and smart enough. There are some people who will never be polished enough to be on a national ticket (like the rep. from Toledo), but unless you think her weight is a deal-breaker, I don't see that with her. 

She seems hectoring. She reminds me of Boxer before Boxer went to charm school.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 06:22:58 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2008, 06:24:42 PM by Nelson Rockefeller »

Why do you think she would be a bad pick for VP?

At this time in her career, I do not believe that Congresswoman Miller rises to the level of a national candidate.

McCain faces a very tough election, with an extremely unpopular Republican incumbent President in office with record low approval ratings, an increasingly unpopular war raging in Iraq, the ecnomony flagging, gas prices at $4.00/gallon.

In my opinion, McCain needs more of a heavy hitter, someone strong on economic matters, someone who voters will see as a potential President should that occasion arise.

Please be aware that I have already stated on various occasions on this forum that McCain will not pick Romney for Vice President.  

I do not believe that voters see Miller as someone who can easily step into the Presidency should something happen to McCain if he becomes President.

Besides, Miller may be interested in running for Governor of Michigan in 2010.  She has a more realistic chance of being elected Governor of Michigan than she does of being picked as McCain's VP choice and becoming Vice President of the United States.

Who knows, after serving a couple of successful terms as Governor of a major industrial state, Miller just may be able to step into the national spotlight.  

I do not doubt at all that Miller has the political ability, smarts, and savvy to succeed, but not at this time, for McCain, on the national ticket.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »

Problems with Miller:

I'm sorry, but that is completely false. She has pretty wide name recognition and is liked by a large portion of the state's electorate. A poll back from 2006 showed Granholm beating DeVos 49-33 and only beating Miller by 4%.

As for the question of her swinging voters, It'll make MI closer but I doubt it'll flip the state to McCain.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 06:34:56 PM »

Problems with Miller:

I'm sorry, but that is completely false. She has pretty wide name recognition and is liked by a large portion of the state's electorate. A poll back from 2006 showed Granholm beating DeVos 49-33 and only beating Miller by 4%.

As for the question of her swinging voters, It'll make MI closer but I doubt it'll flip the state to McCain.
Do you remember when that poll was taken? Granholm was locked in a tight race with DeVos from the moment he started airing TV ad till his terrible debate performances.

IIRC, Mike Rogers also scored well against Granholm, even though he hadn't been a statewide   elected official before. Miller likely outperformed DeVos because he was defined by Amway and hadn't yet inflated his numbers with  millions in ad spending.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 06:46:47 PM »

Problems with Miller:

Do you remember when that poll was taken? Granholm was locked in a tight race with DeVos from the moment he started airing TV ad till his terrible debate performances.

IIRC, Mike Rogers also scored well against Granholm, even though he hadn't been a statewide   elected official before. Miller likely outperformed DeVos because he was defined by Amway and hadn't yet inflated his numbers with  millions in ad spending.

It was taken in August of 2005. Yes, I know, a long time before DeVos started running ads but it still proves that Miller had popular base support. Her tenure as SOS was viewed as widely successful and she did reform it for the better. She wouldn't have got labeled as DeVos was with Amway and outsourcing.

I'm just saying if a poll way before the election shows Miller with 45%, then she is known by a lot of voters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies