The Other Vouchers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:21:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Other Vouchers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Other Vouchers  (Read 1915 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2008, 05:07:11 PM »

http://distributedrepublic.net/archives/2006/04/20/the-other-vouchers

The Other Vouchers

The Other Vouchers
Submitted by Brandon Berg on Thu, 2006-04-20 07:54.

Aside from concerns about a breach in the wall of separation between church and state, the left has expressed two major objections to the creation of school voucher programs to fund primary and secondary education:

1. A voucher system would weaken the public school system by diverting funding to private schools.
   2. Parents might, for ideological reasons, choose to send their children to schools which teach children the "wrong" things. The hypothetical "wrong things" are always some form of religious fundamentalism, generally either Christian or Islamic, depending on the audience to whom the argument is addressed.

These arguments have been addressed elsewhere by others, and I'm not going to repeat any of that. What I want to know is: Why is no one making these arguments against all the other voucher programs we already have? The government used to distribute food to the poor directly. Now it mostly just gives them vouchers called "food stamps." Consequently, our beloved government food distribution system has withered away to nothing, and people sometimes use food stamps to buy the "wrong" foods. Where's the outrage?

Ditto Medicare and Medicaid. They're medical voucher programs. There are a few people calling for total nationalization of the medical system, but as far as I can tell, the general sentiment on the American left seems to favor a Canadian-style system (public funding and private provision) rather than a UK-style system (public provision)---in other words, they want an expansion of our existing voucher programs. Why the inconsistency? Why is it so much more important that schools be operated by the government than that health care facilities be operated by the government?

And then we have universal vouchers, better known as cash transfers. Instead of sending out Social Security checks, why not just move everyone over the age of 65 into government-run retirement homes? We could even bring back the poorhouse for those not old enough for retirement but still unable to support themselves. It may sound a bit harsh, but itwe can't afford to continue siphoning money away from our public poorhouse system, nor will it do to have the poor spending their vouchers on lottery tickets and such.

So what's so special about schools, that these arguments don't apply to any of our other voucher programs?
Trackback URL for this post:
http://distributedrepublic.net/trackback/3940
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:17:55 PM »

I support school vouchers.

That said, the article kind of answers its own questions. It is because school vouchers involve the issue of church and state. None of the others do.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 01:52:24 AM »

I oppose school vouchers on the grounds that the state should not be involved in education. If vouchers were implemented, they would be counterproductive to the cause of school choice, because the state will now have control over private education. Charter schools and homeschooling sound like better alternatives.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 06:31:50 AM »

Out of interest, what type of school do you go to SPC?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »

Out of interest, what type of school do you go to SPC?

Public school. However, given that I see the point that you're trying to drive at, usage of a public good does not imply approval for that good.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 12:05:49 AM »

I oppose school vouchers on the grounds that the state should not be involved in education. If vouchers were implemented, they would be counterproductive to the cause of school choice, because the state will now have control over private education. Charter schools and homeschooling sound like better alternatives.

I agree.  But I go further in saying that, since the government IS involved with education, people shouldn't get money back if they don't want to use the government system.  We don't do this with SS or Medicare, so why with schools?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 12:28:40 AM »

I agree.  But I go further in saying that, since the government IS involved with education, people shouldn't get money back if they don't want to use the government system.  We don't do this with SS or Medicare, so why with schools?

I oppose all three systems, as any consistent fiscal conservative would. Apparently you think it is alright for the government to steal from you so long as they offer you something for free.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 01:55:35 AM »

I oppose all three systems, as any consistent fiscal conservative would. Apparently you think it is alright for the government to steal from you so long as they offer you something for free.

No - I oppose the others as well.

EDIT: I didn't say I opposed SS and Medicare, since I figured it was just understood on the forum that I do.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies