Jesse Helms Dead at 86 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:15:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jesse Helms Dead at 86 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jesse Helms Dead at 86  (Read 21438 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: August 27, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »

Jesse Helms did some horrible things. Ted Kennedy did some horrible things. Jesse Helms was committed to what he believed in. Ted Kennedy was committed to what he believed in. Jesse Helms worked his ass off for his constituents' views to have a voice. Ted Kennedy worked his ass off for his constituents' views to have a voice. Jesse Helms has numerous accomplishments to be proud of. Ted Kennedy has numerous accomplishments to be proud of. We all need to be fair to these men if we are going to continue to have valid arguments. Hypocrisy is not respected.

Follow that line of reasoning and soon you'll say that it's wrong to condemn Hitler, Stalin and an entire host of bloodthirsty maniacs on the basis that to do so would be hypocritical. Moral relativism and empty politeness are the death of honest debate.

Regardless, you're quite wrong to claim that Kennedy (for all his undoubted flaws, and do please not that I never exactly liked the man) sits (or sat) on the same moral level as Helms. Helms was a vicious, open and cynical racist, a corrupt bully, an xenophobic bigot and a hypocritical coward. I am, as it happens, being entirely fair to the man. Perhaps too fair - I somehow managed to avoid using words like "fascist" and "nazi". Unkind people might look at your apparent liking of him and wonder whether your claims of "moderation" are as shallow and as false as the political "beliefs" of most of the other young 'uns here.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:01:25 PM »

I am simply saying that he is involved with the death, which many believe is a murder, and handled the entire event very foolishly regardless of what actual intentions were. There is no denying he was very stupid in dealing with the event. I also said there is no firm proof of any actual murder.

Hmm...

Ted Kennedy was in no way shape a form a moral, upstanding citizen. In fact, he is involved in numerous crimes, some more deadly than others.

Regardless, someone directly involved in a murder is generally no better than a bigot. Nor did I make a claim to them being completely equal. I just find it vile that despite all the bad things Teddy has done, he is glorified, while despite all the good things Helms has done he is villainized.

He was involved. That is fact, there is proof.

Hmm...

You shouldn't be so brazenly dishonest and slippery, you know. You'll get a bad name for yourself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies