libertarianism is self-refuting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:11:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  libertarianism is self-refuting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: libertarianism is self-refuting  (Read 18272 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: July 15, 2008, 07:18:05 PM »
« edited: July 15, 2008, 09:58:04 PM by angus »

look at it this way, they claim to be all about being against initiating force against other people but yet favor things which allow corporations/other non-governmental groups to be able to initiate as much force as they want against the population without any restrictions.   

Love the title.  Reminded me of the Simpson's episode in which Homer and the stoners, the day after the weed legalization vote was scheduled, all woke up and remembered to vote.  The day after, that is.  D'oh!  That episode always reminds me of Libertarians.  They either wake up stoned and remember the Yes on Weed vote was yesterday, or they don't wake up to remember that the Yes on Guns vote is scheduled for today.  They don't wake up at all because they experienced some misfortune, usually on a trip involving alcohol and motorboats and firearms. 

Still, you gotta love 'em.  They're purists.  And I agree with the Libertarians over half the time.

By the way, in related news, I went down to the county courthouse today and changed my registration from Republican to unaffiliated ("no party" in Iowaspeak), just in case you were wondering about the avatar (or lack thereof).  Actually I was there for other reasons but I passed the "elections office" and thought about it.  Been meaning to do that.  Not that it matters.  It's mostly symbolic.  I can't imagine voting for John McCain even if I were still a registered Republican in November, but since I was there, what the hell.  They charged me a forty-two cent fee.  You believe that?!  Goddamned Democrats.  Apparently they have to mail me something.  I wrote them a check.  Fück 'em.  I didn't want to break a dollar.  Not that a dollar is worth all that much these days.  Goddamned Republicans.

I'm thinking Obama will probably siphon off my vote in November, but who knows, it may be Barr who siphons off my vote.  He seems pretty contrite these days.  Apologetic even.  "I don't know what I was thinking when I supported the surveillance...  I realize now that it was a mistake."  He may even convince me to vote for him.  I have to imagine that the nomination of John McCain was like adding Insult to Injury to many libertarian(-ish) republicans.  Whether or not it all helps Obama win isn't my concern.  Anyone but McCain, that's what I say.  Bloated gasbag he is, intent on bigger spending than even the 70s Democrats were.  And on more horrible stuff.  At least the democrats want to spend it on schools and hospitals.  If you have to waste money, at least give yourself the mental masturbatory effort so you'll think you're making a difference.  McCain wants to buy more tanks and young boys' blood.  Hell, he even thinks election campaigns ought to be publicly financed.  Bastard.  I think that unless youze guys manage to defeat yourselves--which isn't beyond the realm of possibility--then Obama should have it locked up.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies