Joseph McCarthy (R) / Hubert Humphrey (D) / George Wallace (I) - 1968 What-If
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:51:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Joseph McCarthy (R) / Hubert Humphrey (D) / George Wallace (I) - 1968 What-If
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joseph McCarthy (R) / Hubert Humphrey (D) / George Wallace (I) - 1968 What-If  (Read 7301 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2008, 02:49:50 AM »

Lets assume the Joe hadn't died in 1957 and while controversial he had not become as outcast as he was in the OT. Instead of running Nixon again the GOP decides to show a strong stance against communist aggression in S.E. Asia by putting up Joe McCarthy as the sacrificial lamb against a split Democratic party. For the sake of this assume very little changes in the Democratic party from the OT and lets go from there. Here's my map....opinions please on what states may need to be fixed. Remember, Wallace had a strong following in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio among blue collar whites.

HHH - 216
McCarthy - 170
Wallace - 152

I'm not to sure about the New England states. Vermont, N.H. and Maine were educated guesses.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »

If Ed Muskie is still Vice President Humphrey's running mate in 1968 then Humphrey would win Maine. I believe it was one of those bizarre situation were an actual running mate brought in a state for the man on the top of their ticket. Considering Vermont and New Hampshire were then Republican states I would assume McCarthy would win them both. However, if McCarthy was running as an extremist candidate along the lines of Barry Goldwater in 1964 then Humphrey would have won them.

Anywho, here's my map for this 1968 Presidential Election between Joe McCarthy, Hubert Humphrey and George Wallace. And I can assure you that my map for this 1968 Presidential Election will look different to yours States'.

Hubert Humphrey/Ed Muskie (D): 289 EV
Joe McCarthy/??? (R): 183 EV
George Wallace/Curtis LeMay (AI): 66 EV

That's my thoughts on this scenario. Vice President Humphrey comfortably defeats McCarthy and Wallace in the Electoral College vote totals, however it's much closer in the Popular Vote totals with Humphrey narrowly winning the PV at around 40-41%. Though I have my doubts such a map like this could have occurred.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »

I think this scenario enables Wallace to do much better in the South, even in more populist states but not as much Southern states:

Joseph McCarthy/Clifford Case
Humbert Humphrey/Ed Muskie
George Wallace/Curtis LeMay

CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:43:34 AM »

I think this scenario enables Wallace to do much better in the South, even in more populist states but not as much Southern states:

Why in the world would Clifford Case be on a national Republican ticket? He was a very liberal Republican and would be the total opposite of McCarthy. Even without McCarthy, Case would have a lot of Republican backlash.

Or is this just your New Jersey Republican wet dream?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:48:39 AM »

Why in the world would Clifford Case be on a national Republican ticket? He was a very liberal Republican and would be the total opposite of McCarthy. Even without McCarthy, Case would have a lot of Republican backlash.

Or is this just your New Jersey Republican wet dream?
Well, in the scenario it seems like McCarthy tries to moderate himself out to an extent to run for president.  For that reason he picks a NE moderate to run with, I also considered Rockefeller but thought that wouldn't be a good choice.  Case did seek the nomination in 1968, so he definetly had some interest.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies