Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:36:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium  (Read 32572 times)
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2008, 09:21:01 PM »

I'm not going to the convention so I'm safe.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2008, 10:06:01 PM »

Clearly, your correct. Saginaw isn't North Philadelphia.  However, was Philadelphia ranked the 14th most dangerous Metro area in the nation? Come to Saginaw, Detroit or Flint to see what poor economic conditions can do to race relations.

You're over analyzing the impact the Convention speech is going to have. If Obama is seen as elitist, it won't be because of the convention speech. Opening the Convention isn't going to hurt Obama. I don't think there will be any effect either way, However, I could easily make the counter-argument that the speech will likely help him because he's opening it up to non-party insiders. I think it is inconsequential either way though. 

Philadelphia was supposedly the murder capitol of the US.  No, you can come to North Philadelphia, but stay a while.  Don't drive through with your doors locked.

No, I am saying that doing the speech this way reinforces the idea that Obama is an elitist, and that is not good.

That'd be Detroit. Whatever though, you can think I haven't been in those situations when I have. I have nothing to prove to you.

It reinforces the idea for people who want to believe it. (i.e. you)

Now it seems to be Jesse Jackson as well, though I believe the term was "talking down to."  It is a problem and he's running a risk of making it worse.  If you are an Obama supporter, pray for rain.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2008, 10:08:51 PM »

Clearly, your correct. Saginaw isn't North Philadelphia.  However, was Philadelphia ranked the 14th most dangerous Metro area in the nation? Come to Saginaw, Detroit or Flint to see what poor economic conditions can do to race relations.

You're over analyzing the impact the Convention speech is going to have. If Obama is seen as elitist, it won't be because of the convention speech. Opening the Convention isn't going to hurt Obama. I don't think there will be any effect either way, However, I could easily make the counter-argument that the speech will likely help him because he's opening it up to non-party insiders. I think it is inconsequential either way though. 

Philadelphia was supposedly the murder capitol of the US.  No, you can come to North Philadelphia, but stay a while.  Don't drive through with your doors locked.

No, I am saying that doing the speech this way reinforces the idea that Obama is an elitist, and that is not good.

That'd be Detroit. Whatever though, you can think I haven't been in those situations when I have. I have nothing to prove to you.

It reinforces the idea for people who want to believe it. (i.e. you)

Now it seems to be Jesse Jackson as well, though I believe the term was "talking down to."  It is a problem and he's running a risk of making it worse.  If you are an Obama supporter, pray for rain.

I don't see how anything involving Jesse Jackson attacking Obama is bad for Obama.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2008, 10:13:33 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree and it sucks. It should have been a love fest between the two of them. Damn. When is the Rev Wright going to publish his book?  I want it!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »

I don't see how anything involving Jesse Jackson attacking Obama is bad for Obama.

Exactly. This is a great news story for Obama.

Anyway, as I said elsewhere, this decision to break with the convention tradition annoys the hell out of me.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2008, 10:20:43 PM »

I always read this thread as "Obama to hold mass" on the front page of the forum and it makes me chuckle.

I just thought I would mention that.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2008, 10:23:21 PM »

I wish he wouldn't do this, but hey, hopefully it will excite even more voters.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »

Anyway, as I said elsewhere, this decision to break with the convention tradition annoys the hell out of me.

You know that John F. Kennedy did the same thing, don't you?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2008, 10:37:40 PM »

Not that that convinces me that it's ok since I am no fan of JFK. Please enlighten me though. I could have sworn that he accepted the nomination in the convention hall in LA.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2008, 10:42:34 PM »

Not that that convinces me that it's ok since I am no fan of JFK. Please enlighten me though. I could have sworn that he accepted the nomination in the convention hall in LA.

He gave it at the L.A. Coliseum.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2008, 10:44:12 PM »

He gave it at the L.A. Coliseum.

Ah, interesting. Not shocking though. It makes sense that Obama, Mr. "New JFK," would do this - two insanely overrated egomaniacs trying every way they can to make themselves larger than life.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »

I'm wondering this -- what exactly is so sacrosanct about "convention tradition"?  Is this some kind of unspoken political thing I've never heard of?  A lot of GOP folk seem to be up in arms over this.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2008, 10:54:03 PM »

I can't believe this topic has grown this large. This may be the silliest thing I've ever heard people objecting to in my life.

Obama can fill an 80,000 seat stadium. It looks good on TV. So he's going to do it. It's really quite simple.

If McCain actually had the ability to do this he would've as well, and none of you would be saying any of the ridiculous bullsh*t you're pandering right now. Your anti-Obama hatred has grown to the point that you just try to find ridiculous crap to attack him on and then rationalize it as honest political criticism.

But if you want to carry on looking like fools, be my guest I suppose...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2008, 10:56:52 PM »

A lot of GOP folk seem to be up in arms over this.

I'd be even more pissed off if our nominee (either this year or in the future) decided to do this. Should we move the inauguration to Giants Stadium while we're at it? Or how about the State of the Union in the Superdome? Being at the actual convention makes it something. This is just makes it seem like even more of a typical rally.

If McCain actually had the ability to do this he would've as well, and none of you would be saying any of the ridiculous bullsh*t you're pandering right now. Your anti-Obama hatred has grown to the point that you just try to find ridiculous crap to attack him on and then rationalize it as honest political criticism.

As I said, I'd be even more pissed at McCain for doing this. But even if this was just "anti Obama hatred" and my desire to "find ridiculous crap to attack him on," I don't know why your type would be complaining. You've picked plenty of ridiculous crap to attack the current President for so deal with it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »

I'd be even more pissed off if our nominee (either this year or in the future) decided to do this. Should we move the inauguration to Giants Stadium while we're at it? Or how about the State of the Union in the Superdome? Being at the actual convention makes it something. This is just makes it seem like even more of a typical rally.

That seems more like an aesthetic concern than something to be pissed at.  It's the anger part I'm missing here.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2008, 11:00:19 PM »

Or how about the State of the Union in the Superdome? Being at the actual convention makes it something. This is just makes it seem like even more of a typical rally.

Nothing in practice differentiates a modern political convention from a "typical rally" other than the fact that the convention is nationally televised.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2008, 11:01:51 PM »

That seems more like an aesthetic concern than something to be pissed at.  It's the anger part I'm missing here.

Anger because it's more of his "this isn't politics as usual. We're breaking the mold!" attitude just to feed that ego. Personally, I think this 100,000 person crowd is overdoing it and while that doesn't make someone's poll numbers dip, I do think some people will be rolling their eyes at Obama trying to be Preacher Obama at his megachurch.

Or how about the State of the Union in the Superdome? Being at the actual convention makes it something. This is just makes it seem like even more of a typical rally.

Nothing in practice differentiates a modern political convention from a "typical rally" other than the fact that the convention is nationally televised.

Then don't even have the convention.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »

I personally wouldn't since I find them annoying and anti-intellectual, but the candidates/parties seem to like the boost in the polls it gives them.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2008, 11:03:24 PM »

Here we have a 12 page thread on something that absolutely no one will change their vote over.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2008, 11:04:18 PM »

As I said, I'd be even more pissed at McCain for doing this.

No, you wouldn't, but if it makes you feel better to think that you would, go ahead and do that.

But even if this was just "anti Obama hatred" and my desire to "find ridiculous crap to attack him on," I don't know why your type would be complaining. You've picked plenty of ridiculous crap to attack the current President for so deal with it.

Facts, quotes, examples, etc...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2008, 11:04:28 PM »

I hate this effing thread! Kill it! Do it. Do it now!

Why do I hate it? Because I agree with the loyal opposition entirely. This bitching about the venue of Obama's treating us to his soaring rhetoric of a leap of faith to hope, is total crap. Kill, kill, kill this thread. It ain't helping my team.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2008, 11:06:37 PM »

Anger because it's more of his "this isn't politics as usual. We're breaking the mold!" attitude just to feed that ego. Personally, I think this 100,000 person crowd is overdoing it and while that doesn't make someone's poll numbers dip, I do think some people will be rolling their eyes at Obama trying to be Preacher Obama at his megachurch.

I doubt many ordinary individuals will know that the convention was closed in the past and the people who do know won't care for the most part.

Then don't even have the convention.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2008, 11:09:49 PM »

No, you wouldn't, but if it makes you feel better to think that you would, go ahead and do that.

Oh, ok. I'm glad you can tell me what I think. "If it makes you feel better to think that you would, go ahead and do that." But please try to argue why I would. I've had no problem pointing out areas where I disagree with McCain so why would this be any different?

Do me a favor and stop being a worthless hack. Stop arguing like a child with "No, you wouldn't" and nothing to back up your claim.

Oh, I don't know. The fascination with blaming Bush for not going into action right away when he found out about the attacks (when he sat in the classroom for all of seven minutes!), the countless minor verbal gaffes, etc.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2008, 11:11:13 PM »

Clearly this is going to be the #1 issue this election. Next Gallup poll will probably find that 30% of Americans consider Obama's elitism in holding his acceptance speech in a stadium the most important issue, beating out Iraq and the economy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2008, 11:20:57 PM »

Clearly this is going to be the #1 issue this election. Next Gallup poll will probably find that 30% of Americans consider Obama's elitism in holding his acceptance speech in a stadium the most important issue, beating out Iraq and the economy.

Who here argued that this would even be an issue? I know I'm not.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies