Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:36:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Author Topic: Obama to hold mass rally for acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium  (Read 32456 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:44:49 AM »

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/politics/2008/view.bg?articleid=1105451&srvc=rss

NEW YORK - In a break with tradition, Barack Obama will accept the Democratic presidential nomination at Invesco Field at Mile High, a 76,000-seat stadium, rather than at the site of the party’s national convention across town.

Democratic Party Chairman Howard Dean acknowledged the decision to move Obama’s speech on the final night of the Aug. 24-28 convention to the giant open-air football field of the Denver Broncos would raise security challenges, but said he and Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper had agreed such challenges won’t deter the move.

Dean, in a conference call with reporters, also batted away questions about logistical challenges and added costs the change would produce, saying those things would be worked out in the coming weeks.

It won’t be the first time a presidential candidate has accepted the nomination in a stadium. On July 15, 1960, John F. Kennedy gave his acceptance speech before tens of thousands at the Los Angeles Coliseum.

Separately, one official confirmed that Obama’s aides were attempting to arrange a speech at a second dramatic venue: Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate, part of Obama’s July trip to Europe and the Middle East.

The Gate was the site of one of Ronald Reagan’s most memorable speeches. On a trip in July 1987, Reagan stood before throngs of West Berliners and implored then Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall dividing the city. The wall is no longer there.

Ron Perea, Secret Service special agent in charge in Denver, declined to discuss what security precautions the agency would take for the convention’s open-air event, including any restrictions on airspace and traffic.

Most of the convention will take place at the 21,000-seat Pepsi Center. Construction for the convention was beginning there Monday amid concerns about lagging fundraising and cost overruns.

Last month, the convention’s host committee reported it was nearly $12 million short of the $40.6 million it had pledged to raise for the effort. Host committee members spoke openly of needing the Obama campaign’s help to close the gap.

Dean said the convention was operating on budget, and Obama senior adviser Anita Dunn said the campaign was on board to help.

"The fact that the nomination was not decided until the begining of June — clearly many donors would have hung back a little to see if the candidate of their choice was going to get the nomination," Dunn said.

With an influx of younger voters and Hispanics in recent years Colorado, once heavily Republican, is among a handful of states in the mountain West that have been trending Democratic. Both parties view it as a general-election swing state; Republican John McCain kicked off a five-day economy-focused campaign swing in Denver Monday.

Obama is known for drawing huge crowds to many of his speeches. In May, a record 75,000 jammed into a riverside park in Portland, Ore., to hear him speak shortly before that state’s primary.

Obama is scheduled to deliver his acceptance speech on Thursday, Aug. 28, the fourth and final night of the convention. It coincides with the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s "I Have a Dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 1963.

The Illinois senator is running to be the first black president.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Obama a megalomaniac?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 02:51:03 AM »

Heel to Obama now and save yourself the trouble of having to do it later. Wink
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:59:12 AM »

Already some threads on this, already accusing Obama of being egotistical.  Who thinks that Obama or McCain AREN'T egotistical or thinks that this was entirely Obama's decision?  Seriously, this is ridiculous.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 03:01:49 AM »

No, I'm serious.  Megalomania, unwillingness to accept responsibility for shortcomings, willingness to dispose of his friends whenever it becomes convenient, being "so concerned" about others when his recent choices obviously don't back that up, an obvioulsy casual relationship with the truth, even when it obvious to most impartial observers that he is being insincere, but being ble to cover up his lies by seeming emotionally sincere... he has most of the bad qualities of George W. Bush, just packaged differently.  This is all the more obvious to me, because I am now reading the book Bush on the Couch.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 04:04:19 AM »

No, I'm serious.  Megalomania, unwillingness to accept responsibility for shortcomings, willingness to dispose of his friends whenever it becomes convenient, being "so concerned" about others when his recent choices obviously don't back that up, an obvioulsy casual relationship with the truth, even when it obvious to most impartial observers that he is being insincere, but being ble to cover up his lies by seeming emotionally sincere... he has most of the bad qualities of George W. Bush, just packaged differently.  This is all the more obvious to me, because I am now reading the book Bush on the Couch.

...and McCain doesn't have any of these qualities?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:00:47 AM »

Is he going to wearing the new red, white and black armbands of the DNC?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:53:52 PM »

That was my first thought when I saw this as well.  But, rather than mention that, I decided to go with a more sincere and serious approach.

Guess I forgot who I was dealing with.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 05:57:20 PM »

That was my first thought when I saw this as well.  But, rather than mention that, I decided to go with a more sincere and serious approach.

He is going to be combining the style of Kennedy with a Carter sytled Presidency while in power and this guy's wife sounds at least 20X worse then Hillary!   
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 05:59:20 PM »

He is going to be combining the style of Kennedy with a Carter sytled Presidency while in power and this guy's wife sounds at least 20X worse then Hillary!   
I might be wrong, but weren't you an Obama supporter with a D-MA avatar for a short time?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 06:00:23 PM »

Sigh...

Speaking to a larger audience = better politics.

Larger rallies /= megalomania.

John McCain's inability to excite large crowds /= seriousness.

Obama's charisma /= Obama not having substance.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 06:04:15 PM »

We are making reference to the fact that the last group to hold mass rallies in stadiums also brandished the swastika on their banners.  And yes, it is a fair comparison, because I'm sure they will do everything they can to make it as dramatic as possible, fueling the mass delusion, and avoiding the tiniest chance that someone might think for themselves rather than relying on the emotion they feel from being at such an "awe inspiring" mass rally.

Of course, pointing out Obama's personality flaws is pointless since his cult like followers, fueled by emotion, will make any excuse for him.

Hiel Obama!!!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »

Hitler and the Nazis copied the American way of running electoral campaigns, not the other way round.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 06:06:45 PM »

Really? I never knew that.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »

Hitler and the Nazis copied the American way of running electoral campaigns, not the other way round.

That runs contrary to pretty much everything I have ever read, or heard, which indicates that politicians all over the world have copied Hitler's methods, to some extent... the question is, to what extent?  This seems pretty blatant to me.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2008, 06:21:15 PM by Jack Point the Jester »

We are making reference to the fact that the last group to hold mass rallies in stadiums also brandished the swastika on their banners.

I'm sure Martin Luther King Jr. would be surprised to learn that he didn't hold mass rallies.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That should be "Heil Obama."  If you're going to slander him, do it correctly.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 06:33:28 PM »

Wow, it seems that the Republicans are this years Democrats. All they seem to be doing is b!tch and moan about everything.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »

Wow, it seems that the Republicans are this years Democrats. All they seem to be doing is b!tch and moan about everything.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 06:47:19 PM »

Some of the Republicans are bitching about it because it's going to be effective and their convention is going to be pitiful in comparison. Really, I can see why they are frustrated. Makes them look like absolute idiots of course but I can see where they are coming from.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 06:57:13 PM »

Cool. I'm going to be watching it. I Purple heart big crowds. Smiley
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »

It amuses me that some who compare Obama and his supporters to Nazi's probably railed against the comparison of George W. Bush to Hitler that some extreme members of society made.

Comparing modern day politicians to the likes of Hitler is pretty tasteless and reduces debate to an extremely unfavorable level. Frankly, I pretty much lose respect for anyone that compares people like Obama or GWB to Hitler. These comparisons are extreme, inaccurate, and unnecessary. It would be best if we could avoid these distasteful situations.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 07:23:49 PM »

I agree. While Obama's personality cult and huge ego annoy the hell out of me, saying he's like the Nazi's is a bit extreme. This latest change by Obama just reinforces that he'll do anything to get elected and he sees himself as wonderful as his supporters do. Speaking to a crowd on the same day as MLK and to a huge crowd, no less, make it look like he's setting himself up to be the heir apparent. Good political move, but grossly arrogant, as we already know Obama is.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 07:30:44 PM »

That's what happens when your losing. The fringe stuff  (e.g., opponent party's nominee's personal habits) suddenly takes on a greater importance.  This matters because the fundamentals of this election make it prohibitively difficult for a Republican to win.

Never before has a party held the White House after the incumbent party's President has dismal approval ratings. The rising gas prices, slowing job growth, health care crisis, and cost of the Iraq debacle are also weighing down the Grand Old Pachyderm. At this point, most Republicans just want to start rebuilding again. Once Obama becomes President and raises taxes, the GOP will be back on track!
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 07:35:05 PM »

I agree. While Obama's personality cult and huge ego annoy the hell out of me, saying he's like the Nazi's is a bit extreme. This latest change by Obama just reinforces that he'll do anything to get elected and he sees himself as wonderful as his supporters do. Speaking to a crowd on the same day as MLK and to a huge crowd, no less, make it look like he's setting himself up to be the heir apparent. Good political move, but grossly arrogant, as we already know Obama is.

The dates for the DNC were chosen before Obama was the nominee

Dipsh*t
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 07:43:21 PM »

The dates for the DNC were chosen before Obama was the nominee

Dipsh*t

Desperate Times... this will make Obama's victory or the bloodbath after his defeat all the more sweeter.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 07:59:18 PM »

Waaah!!! My candidate is dull and behind the polls so I'm going to compare yours to Hitler!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies